Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: East Coast vs. West Coast
East Coast 426 50.30%
West Coast 421 49.70%
Voters: 847. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-31-2013, 08:26 AM

895 posts, read 1,702,738 times

Advertisements

I personally did not vote on this poll because each coast has it's merits and setbacks and it is difficult to make a blanket statement on which is better in general. The northeast is certainly a vibrant and dynamic region and (generally speaking) has the most high quality educational institutions in the country. However, the corporate mentality does seem to dominate there and I prefer the west coast business model like another user mentioned. All this aside, my favorite city (Seattle) is in the northwest and as far as outdoor recreation/natural beauty goes, the west coast wins by a long shot. If we're talking about people, the northeast has its share of brash and abrasive types, which I can't stand, but the west coast has more sanctimonious, pretentious types, which I also can't stand. Then again, there are pleasant and unpleasant people everywhere so it's difficult to make a blanket statement.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-31-2013, 08:28 AM

895 posts, read 1,702,738 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 18Montclair View Post
No, I didn't forget DC. I just don't think it really contributes anything worth bragging about.

New York, Boston and Miami are the most prominent economic, intellectual and cultural contributors on the East Coast.

Philadelphia is a great city, yes.

But I don't think overall the East Coast is better than the West Coast anymore as far as livability or really even economic relevance in 2013.
I wouldn't necessarily say Miami contributes "intellectually or economically," although I guess you could say there is some culture there.

Old 08-31-2013, 12:26 PM

12,883 posts, read 13,976,233 times
Quote:
No, I didn't forget DC. I just don't think it really contributes anything worth bragging about.

New York, Boston and Miami are the most prominent economic, intellectual and cultural contributors on the East Coast.

Philadelphia is a great city, yes.

But I don't think overall the East Coast is better than the West Coast anymore as far as livability or really even economic relevance in 2013.
It's our nation's capital. That itself is worth bragging about. You really can't leave out DC when talking about the importance of the East Coast.

Old 08-31-2013, 12:31 PM

2,496 posts, read 3,369,129 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JerseyGirl415 View Post
It's our nation's capital. That itself is worth bragging about.
And feeling nauseous about........an overgrown cancer.

Old 08-31-2013, 12:33 PM

36,653 posts, read 67,476,702 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by midwest1 View Post
And feeling nauseous about........an overgrown cancer.
Im so glad someone else pointed this out.

Old 08-31-2013, 12:45 PM

12,384 posts, read 28,496,781 times
I'm more of a large city/history/culture type person when traveling over nature or scenic getaways so prefer East Coast...While West Coast has some, East Coast just has more of these type of things to choose from.

Old 08-31-2013, 02:40 PM

6,208 posts, read 9,205,461 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveTime View Post
The Great majority of American power wealth culture and sophistication lies at or near the East Coast

Take out L.A. San Fran and Seattle and what do you have? Without them the West Coast is a country bumpkin
BEAST!

Old 08-31-2013, 02:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rcsligar View Post
You forgot DC, and some would argue that Philly should make that list.
+2 Those two along with Atlanta, Charleston, Pittsburgh, the Jersey Shore, Savannah, Columbia, Charlotte, the North Carolina urban 'Triangle', Asheville, Baltimore, Annapolis, Tampa, Orlando, etc., etc. Yeah, the East Coast is definitely "forgettable" Some people obviously need to grow some brains! I'd say some eyes too, but it's brains that I'm really worried about

Old 08-31-2013, 02:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JerseyGirl415 View Post
It's our nation's capital. That itself is worth bragging about. You really can't leave out DC when talking about the importance of the East Coast.
Take San Francisco out of the equation, and let's see how well the Bay Area (And NorCal in general) can endure without its crown jewel of an East Coast-look-a-like central city

Thanks for keeping 18Montclair's narcissistic, self-arrogant ego in check JG I hope not all of the people in the Bay Area are like him, but then again, from stories of some travelers and native-born & raised locals online, this type of Bay Area provincial arrogance tend to be common among some, if not most, transplants/transients. Which definitely makes sense to me. Some of these transients here in the DC area be the same damn way. Gag

Old 08-31-2013, 02:51 PM

Quote:
Im so glad someone else pointed this out.
Yeah, because it describes you so well
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.