Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-04-2013, 01:51 PM

3,452 posts, read 4,620,438 times

Advertisements

Thanks so much for the suggestions. Going to plan a few trips in the upcoming months to a few of these places.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-04-2013, 08:56 PM

7,778 posts, read 10,168,764 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jayp1188 View Post
Within five hours of Nashville, you have Atlanta, St. Louis, Cincinnati, Columbus, Indianapolis, Birmingham, and Memphis.
+ Louisville.

Given this list, I think Atlanta would be my choice for most similar to NYC's urban amenities minus the high COL. It's quite sprawling and traffic is a nightmare, but there are very dense and/or walkable neighborhoods that can somewhat resemble NYC at times, and its also the largest metro by far so it can support the most diverse amenities of all the cities on this list.

I think you have some nice options here, and you could also add Charlotte if you expand the boundaries slightly (under 6 hours). Ultimately Nashville may be better than Atlanta though depending on how much weight you put on being close to family.

Old 09-04-2013, 09:25 PM

37,882 posts, read 41,980,539 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by projectmaximus View Post
+ Louisville.

Given this list, I think Atlanta would be my choice for most similar to NYC's urban amenities minus the high COL. It's quite sprawling and traffic is a nightmare, but there are very dense and/or walkable neighborhoods that can somewhat resemble NYC at times, and its also the largest metro by far so it can support the most diverse amenities of all the cities on this list.

I think you have some nice options here, and you could also add Charlotte if you expand the boundaries slightly (under 6 hours). Ultimately Nashville may be better than Atlanta though depending on how much weight you put on being close to family.
I think that's stretching it a bit, unless we're talking about some neighborhoods in the outer boroughs. We'll just say that Atlanta has several urban neighborhood districts with an array of amenities that are pretty active.

Old 09-09-2013, 10:38 PM

7,070 posts, read 16,749,925 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by usamathman View Post
Single 32 year old professional. Currently living in New York Metro Area. Enjoy living here, but starting to get little lonely. Place is really expensive. Have no family here. Want to move closer to my family in Tennessee. Planning to relocate back to south as soon as I finish my masters in software engineering.

Could you all offer some suggestions on nice urban cities within 5 hours drive of Nashville, Tennessee.
Preferably a place with lots of people, city landscape, and great downtown area.

Thanks!
Neighborhoods | New2Lou

Louisville!

That networking site was great for meeting people, and I just love the "look and feel" of Louisville's neighborhoods. Believe it or not, Louisville has better restaurants than Nashville, Cincinnati, or yes, even Atlanta. Read online about Louisville. The city is truly on a "roll."

Among the choices I would pick Louisville as it is still close to Nashville, and only 5 hours to either Chicago or Atlanta when you need your big city fix (and Chicago is a true big city). Atlanta is more like Nashville stacked on Louisville with a ton of surrounding sprawlburbs that you will never utilize and that will only create traffic chaos for you.

IMO, there is no urban neighborhood in the SE US that comes close to the combination of historic, walkable, urban vitality, and a great historic park like the Highlands of Louisville (ok excluding New Orleans but that city is a whole other beast):
http://www.thehighlandsoflouisville.com

IMO Louisville's downtown is nicer and cleaner than ATL or Cincinnati (but both have much higher day office populations).

Nashville has by far the most vibrant downtown in the SE US, though, outside ATL. That said, Nashville's surrounding neighborhoods simply cannot compare to Louisville's. Nashville is also a great city for young singles. Really, the internet is the great equalizer. If you live in a metro area of 1 million plus, you should be able to meet a mate or friends if you are open minded and polite. Social media, things like meetup.com, etc have really changed the game.

Old 09-10-2013, 01:33 AM

37,882 posts, read 41,980,539 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter1948 View Post
Neighborhoods | New2Lou

Louisville!

That networking site was great for meeting people, and I just love the "look and feel" of Louisville's neighborhoods. Believe it or not, Louisville has better restaurants than Nashville, Cincinnati, or yes, even Atlanta. Read online about Louisville. The city is truly on a "roll."
You have any objective source for that statement as far as a comparison with Atlanta goes?

Quote:
Atlanta is more like Nashville stacked on Louisville with a ton of surrounding sprawlburbs that you will never utilize and that will only create traffic chaos for you.
Which is why he could limit himself to living inside the I-285 perimeter.

Quote:
IMO, there is no urban neighborhood in the SE US that comes close to the combination of historic, walkable, urban vitality, and a great historic park like the Highlands of Louisville (ok excluding New Orleans but that city is a whole other beast):
The Highlands of Louisville, KY USA home page
Haven't experienced this neighborhood, but it doesn't sound too dissimilar from some parts of downtown Charleston or Savannah, or Carytown in Richmond, or even something like Old Fourth Ward or Little Five Points in Atlanta or Five Points in Birmingham.

Quote:
Nashville has by far the most vibrant downtown in the SE US, though, outside ATL.
That's quite debatable. I'd definitely but NOLA's downtown ahead of Nashville's, plus Charleston's and Savannah's.

Old 10-10-2013, 09:00 PM

7,778 posts, read 10,168,764 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
I think that's stretching it a bit, unless we're talking about some neighborhoods in the outer boroughs. We'll just say that Atlanta has several urban neighborhood districts with an array of amenities that are pretty active.
Yes, we can agree on this. I was stretching a bit, hence my wording of: "can somewhat resemble at times."
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.