Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-02-2013, 10:52 PM

32 posts, read 61,532 times

Advertisements

Hey everyone!

My husband and I have decided to move next fall...the only problem is we have no idea where!

Right now, we live in Houston, TX, which is hometown to both of us. I have lived in NYC, London, and Swansea (in Wales). He has lived in Austin, TX and hopped freight trains all over the country for years. We want to satisfy some of our shared wanderlust before our son enters school and we have to settle down. So, we've been brainstorming, but we are open to ideas, so throw them at me! Here is our criteria:

- Big city
- Good public transport system and walkable/bikeable, but also able to have a car (hubby wants to drive, I want to take my son out w/out driving)
- Possibility of a yard/garage/some kind of "extra" space that won't cost an arm and a leg
- Good job market for commercial or industrial construction (hubby is a union ironworker)
- Multicultural/European feel
- Good for young families (we're not really the suburban, soccer-mom kind of family)
- Fair amount of international companies (I will be doing a Master's program in global affairs/international relations)

Currently, I stay home with our son and my husband works as a leadman at a fab shop. Wherever we move, my husband will need to find a job that pays enough for me to continue staying at home, so we're fine with a high cost of living, as long as jobs pay enough to keep up with it. We live relatively comfortably in Houston, TX on about $50-55K gross, if that gives anyone an idea about income requirements.

Thank you, thank you in advance for any suggestions!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-03-2013, 06:34 AM

27,196 posts, read 43,896,295 times
I would look at the Washington DC area, as outside of NYC you're not going to find the "multicultural/European feel" anywhere else. Check out the close-in suburb of Silver Spring, Maryland which is quite international on it's own and not the typical suburb with easy Metro access, walkability/bikeability, a nice selection of housing stock with yards/garages at decent prices, relative safety and plenty to do. The Washington DC construction market is always thriving and there are loads of international companies in the immediate area, both of which seem to always be hiring given the low unemployment rate in the area.

Silver Spring, Maryland - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Red_Line_(Washington_Metro)

Old 09-03-2013, 09:07 AM

93,255 posts, read 123,898,066 times
Perhaps Cambridge, MA, right next to Boston.

Old 09-03-2013, 03:51 PM

66 posts, read 101,350 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcarnett View Post
We live relatively comfortably in Houston, TX on about $50-55K gross, if that gives anyone an idea about income requirements.
For any city that you may be considering use a cost of living tool (I think Salary Wizard has one) to compare your current cost of living/current income vs the cost of living/income required to keep up your lifestyle. I found that using that tool was helpful in the past to give me an idea of salary requirements necessary for a new city.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.