Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-21-2013, 06:53 AM

10,750 posts, read 23,828,256 times

Advertisements

This was based on interviews and studies done by phone and online from 42,000 + people nationwide from the Barna Group. Discuss their findings, are they agreeable and how they have an overall effect on these cities (or regions/states) listed.

Most Biblically minded cities

1. Knoxville, TN (52%)
2. Shreveport, LA (52%)
3. Chattanooga, TN (52%)
4. Birmingham, AL (50%)
5. Jackson, MS (50%).
6. Springfield, MO (49%)
7. Charlotte, NC (48%)
8. Lynchburg, VA (48%)
9. Huntsville-Decatur, AL (48%)
10. Charleston, WV (47%)

Least Biblically minded cities

1. Providence, RI (9%)
2. Albany, NY (10%)
3. Burlington, VT (16%)
4. Portland, ME (16%)
5. Hartford, CT (16%)
6. Boston, MA (16%)
7. San Francisco, CA (16%)
8. Phoenix, AZ (17%)
9. Cedar Rapids, IA (18%)
10. Buffalo, NY (18%)

America’s Most and Least Bible-Minded Cities
America’s Most and Least ‘Biblically-Minded’ Cities – The Gospel Coalition Blog
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-21-2013, 09:32 AM

6,327 posts, read 9,156,239 times
This is very interesting to look at. I found it really interesting how big of a difference the results were in Charleston, WV which is only about a 3 hour drive south of Pittsburgh.

Old 11-21-2013, 09:54 AM

132 posts, read 545,909 times
I thought it was interesting that you have to go all the way to #26 to find a city that's not in the south. That city is Bakersfield, CA, which is populated by the children and grandchildren of displaced Dust-Bowl Okies.

I wonder why Rochester (in the middle of the pack at #62 out of 96) is so much more biblical than Buffalo, Albany, Syracuse, and NYC, which are all at the end of the list. Likewise, I wonder why Albuquerque (#54) was so much more biblical than Tucson, Phoenix, and Denver.

I was surprised also to find Salt Lake City at the end the list, less biblically minded than Minneapolis, Madison, LA, Denver, and Chicago. I guess this goes against the argument of LDS dominance in SLC.

I know that these places are too small to be included, but I'm wondering how "cities" in Idaho, Montana, and Wyoming would stack up. Despite being conservative, this part of the country strikes me as not being particularly religious.

Old 11-21-2013, 10:24 AM

1,901 posts, read 3,087,207 times
Wow, Shreveport made a top 10 for something...

Old 11-21-2013, 10:52 AM

9,961 posts, read 17,527,199 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mayonaise View Post

I was surprised also to find Salt Lake City at the end the list, less biblically minded than Minneapolis, Madison, LA, Denver, and Chicago. I guess this goes against the argument of LDS dominance in SLC.
Salt Lake City is probably the second least religious place in all of Utah(the first is Park City) despite having the upper hieararchy and adminstration of the LDS located there. They even elected a gay mayor.

One thing interesting about the rankings is that they include a lot of places that have fairly high numbers of Catholics(often because of Hispanic populations, but also traditional Italian/Irish strongholds in the Northeast--yet these aren't figured to be "biblically minded"... El Paso is mostly Mexican Catholics and it ranked 80th. I guess though that these days Catholics don't feel the need to read the Bible weekly--and are more likely to just go observe for the holidays.

Catholics are more fun these days--a lot of those St. Whoever Day celebrations are a good time for everyone(or the Blessing of the Animals day)...

Last edited by Deezus; 11-21-2013 at 11:09 AM..

Old 11-21-2013, 10:58 AM

37,882 posts, read 41,970,495 times
The study, based on 42,855 interviews conducted nationwide, attempts to determine the overall openness or resistance to the Bible in the country's largest markets. The report ranks the most and least "Bible-minded" cities based both on weekly Bible reading and who strongly asserts the Bible is accurate in the principles it teaches.

America’s Most and Least ‘Biblically-Minded’ Cities – The Gospel Coalition Blog

Old 11-21-2013, 11:10 AM

4,865 posts, read 4,181,366 times
Quote:
I thought it was interesting that you have to go all the way to #26 to find a city that's not in the south. That city is Bakersfield, CA, which is populated by the children and grandchildren of displaced Dust-Bowl Okies.

I wonder why Rochester (in the middle of the pack at #62 out of 96) is so much more biblical than Buffalo, Albany, Syracuse, and NYC, which are all at the end of the list. Likewise, I wonder why Albuquerque (#54) was so much more biblical than Tucson, Phoenix, and Denver.

I know that these places are too small to be included, but I'm wondering how "cities" in Idaho, Montana, and Wyoming would stack up. Despite being conservative, this part of the country strikes me as not being particularly religious.
Your guess is spot on. This is a live and let live region. The biggest religion around here is hunting except when it's fishing season. Even in our "cities" .

Old 11-21-2013, 11:33 AM

28,098 posts, read 29,970,289 times
Quote:
That's odd.

"While many Christians may not see Mormons as Bible believers, the National Bible Association sure does.
The New York-based group has chosen Utah’s capital — headquarters of the LDS Church and the heart of Mormonism — as its National Bible City of 2013."

Old 11-21-2013, 11:50 AM

36,659 posts, read 67,539,821 times
Salt Lake and environs would probably be first or near the top if we're talking about average biblical knowledge.

Old 11-21-2013, 05:17 PM

20,516 posts, read 33,551,374 times
So the Central Texas area is less Biblically Minded than Austin and Houston?

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.