Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which Northern City is Similar to New Orleans?
San Francisco 7 12.28%
New York 5 8.77%
Boston 5 8.77%
Detroit 7 12.28%
Minneapolis 2 3.51%
Philadelphia 8 14.04%
Montreal 21 36.84%
Other 11 19.30%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 57. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-26-2013, 09:34 PM

6,805 posts, read 6,027,453 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LadyReverie View Post
]

They do look pretty similar
But Montreal looks so flat & grey whereas New Orleans seems more colorful with balconies.

I don't know. I guess I just don't see it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-27-2013, 01:47 AM

1,901 posts, read 3,083,893 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by iAMtheVVALRUS View Post
But Montreal looks so flat & grey whereas New Orleans seems more colorful with balconies.

I understand what you mean. That extra vibrancy and flair comes from the Spanish influence on top of French influence. Thats why our city is such an incomparable one. Though I do agree with most posters in that SF and Montreal are most similar to New Orleans.

Old 11-27-2013, 02:18 AM

2,341 posts, read 3,594,064 times
Quote:

Sorry if I'm being nit-picky, but Montreal's downtown sits immediately East of a pretty big hill (Mount Royal), whereas New Orleans sits in the flattest part of the flattest region in America (the Gulf coast), without a single hill nearby. However, I agree. I don't see it either. I've spent time in both cities, and aside from the "French connection", they seem very different to me. And that's not even factoring in the weather. I will say this though... both cities are very unique in their respective regions/nations.

Old 11-27-2013, 02:21 AM

9,556 posts, read 20,786,339 times
Actually the newer 'American' downtown of New Orleans reminded me of New York. It has the 'canyon feel' and there's surprising Italian influence in New Orleans. Like NY, it doesn't feel like 'Middle America.'

Old 11-27-2013, 08:44 AM

27,549 posts, read 28,630,498 times
Quote:
Are Montreal and NOLA really that similar?
I've been to both and I'd say they're not really that similar except for the French influence.

Montreal is basically a Francophone city. It feels like a piece of Europe in North America (so does all of Quebec). The predominant language spoken is French.

New Orleans, by contrast, is a hybrid of Cajun French, Spanish, southern American, Caribbean and Italian influences. The predominant language is still American English.

So, the overall effect is that the cities are pretty different. You could never mistake one for the other. ;-)

Old 11-27-2013, 06:24 PM

47 posts, read 78,757 times
Yea I still think SF is the clear choice. There are areas of NO that are very reminiscent of certain parts of San Francisco such as Magazine Street in Uptown. Also the corner of Canal and Carrollton reminds me alot of SF. A few other places as well, but the names escape me at the moment. Of course SF's topography is a lot better as NO is on the flat side. Still not a bad comparison.

Old 11-27-2013, 06:27 PM

8,700 posts, read 14,686,635 times
US? Philly
Canada? Montreal

Old 11-27-2013, 07:48 PM

382 posts, read 721,508 times
Of course, the trouble with questions like this is that you can't find any two cities which are similar IN ALL RESPECTS. It's simply not possible. But bearing that in mind, it can be a fun, admittedly "unscientific" exercise.

My vote goes to Montreal, in the sense that it feels about 2/3rds like most North American cities, and 1/3rd "foreign" and unique. In Montreal, obviously, the Francophonic culture explains most of that difference; in NOLA it's its history as a cultural crossroads. Someone once described NOLA as "the northernmost Caribbean city", and Montreal could in a similar fashion be described as "the westernmost European city."

There's something shared in these largely Catholic port cities that sets them apart from the rest of Protestant, "uptight" America, in some sense. (I know Boston should fall in that category, as well, but I think the New England Puritan heritage worked to tamp down the Mardi gras spirit...)

I had interesting experiences discussing/experiencing music and food in both cities, and discovering the wealth of talent and tradition that are largely unknown outside of the respective regions.

Old 11-27-2013, 07:48 PM

6,805 posts, read 6,027,453 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobloblawslawblog View Post
Sorry if I'm being nit-picky, but Montreal's downtown sits immediately East of a pretty big hill (Mount Royal), whereas New Orleans sits in the flattest part of the flattest region in America (the Gulf coast), without a single hill nearby. .
Ha! Sorry, I was talking about the buildings, not the topography! I should've been clearer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Summersm343 View Post
US? Philly
Canada? Montreal
How are Philly and New Orleans similar?

Old 11-27-2013, 07:52 PM

8,928 posts, read 14,330,050 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCityDreamer View Post
I've been to both and I'd say they're not really that similar except for the French influence.

Montreal is basically a Francophone city. It feels like a piece of Europe in North America (so does all of Quebec). The predominant language spoken is French.

New Orleans, by contrast, is a hybrid of Cajun French, Spanish, southern American, Caribbean and Italian influences. The predominant language is still American English.

So, the overall effect is that the cities are pretty different. You could never mistake one for the other. ;-)
Cajun would mainly be the areas of Louisiana west of New Orleans. The city itself is Creole.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.