Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which Northern City is Similar to New Orleans?
San Francisco 7 12.28%
New York 5 8.77%
Boston 5 8.77%
Detroit 7 12.28%
Minneapolis 2 3.51%
Philadelphia 8 14.04%
Montreal 21 36.84%
Other 11 19.30%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 57. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-25-2013, 02:02 PM

1,901 posts, read 3,086,502 times

Advertisements

I need to visit the north more. I've been all over the Sun Belt from Thousand Oaks to Jacksonville, but in 28 years have only been up north a couple times. My business partner on the other hand has been to SF, Montreal, Detroit, Grand Rapides, Chicago, and NY. This has me curious...

Several times on this thread I've read New Orleans referred to as a "northern city in the south". The aforementioned business partner has even called N.O. a "hybrid mix of San Francisco with Montreal nuances".

What do you think? N.O. is certainly one of the most unique cities in North America so obviously we're not looking for twins. We're also not talking about economy or size...just overall feel. But what would you consider to be the most similar northern city to New Orleans?

Ciao
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-25-2013, 02:50 PM

15 posts, read 23,313 times
My vote is Philly. You have the humidity, the history, the tourism, the poverty, and the street food. Both are near the sea, but on rivers.

Old 11-25-2013, 03:23 PM

320 posts, read 578,503 times
I've been to New York and Philly. They definitely don't look like New Orleans.

Old 11-25-2013, 03:28 PM

15 posts, read 23,313 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SawBoi View Post
I've been to New York and Philly. They definitely don't look like New Orleans.
New Orleans is truly one of a kind. I never said Philly looked like New Orleans. I just said that New Orleans has the most in common with Philly given the OP's selections. Do you have a better suggestion?

Old 11-25-2013, 03:42 PM

2,341 posts, read 3,597,937 times
I'm drawing a blank here. I've been to all the cities in your poll, and none of them really reminded me of New Orleans at all, though I'm sure each of them shares at least one attribute that New Orleans has. New Orleans is just too damn unique. Nowhere else like it anywhere in North America. I definitely don't agree with the people who call New Orleans a "northern city in the south", as I feel that NoLa shares more in common with Southern cities than it does with any Northern city, but that's neither here nor there.

So, to answer your question as best I can, I'd say it's only like San Francisco in that it's on the water and has many fine restaurants. It's only like New York in that it's on the water and has many fine restaurants. It's only like Boston in that it's on the water and has a lot of history. It's only like Detroit in that it has French colonial origins and is on the water. I can't think of any way at all that it's like Minneapolis, other than that they're both on (opposite ends of) the Mississippi River. It's like Philly in that it's on a river and has a lot of history. It's like Montreal in that it's on a river and has a large French-speaking population.

Sorry, those are the only real similarities that I can think of.

Old 11-25-2013, 04:02 PM

12,498 posts, read 26,994,162 times
Boston probably.

It has the Irish-Catholic influence while New Orleans has the French-Catholic influence.

Downtowns are about the same size.

Both have loads of history.

Old 11-25-2013, 04:14 PM

37,882 posts, read 41,956,856 times
Tough one, but I'm tempted to go with Baltimore (although not truly Northern). That's about the best I can do.

Old 11-25-2013, 04:45 PM

320 posts, read 578,503 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OrilliaONT View Post
New Orleans is truly one of a kind. I never said Philly looked like New Orleans. I just said that New Orleans has the most in common with Philly given the OP's selections. Do you have a better suggestion?
Probably St. Louis.

Old 11-25-2013, 04:47 PM

47 posts, read 78,815 times
Interesting topic! I give the nod to San Francisco. They're both small cities geographically, but both pack one helluva punch culturally. Both cities also have their own special brands of uniqueness. Both are very wallkable and use streetcars. Both are on water and are older cities.

Yea, definitely San Francisco, though I could also see a comparison being made with Montreal for architecture and the French influence.

Old 11-25-2013, 06:04 PM

1,901 posts, read 3,086,502 times
Lol. Here we go again. Before anyone insults my intelligence, I'm aware that SF is in Northwest California and that Montreal is in Canada.

My OP may have not been clear, but I thought it was obvious that I meant cities north as opposed too the colloquial "North" or what the Census Bureau defines as "the North".
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.