Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-01-2016, 04:00 PM

11,523 posts, read 14,650,355 times

Advertisements

I spent time in Missouri. People seemed pretty friendly as I remember.

In Arizona, we had a lot of Midwestern transplants. We had neighbors from Minnesota (snowbirds). They were not overly friendly, but always polite. Not a lot of small talk, but so what.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-01-2016, 05:08 PM

2,598 posts, read 4,924,273 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nanny Goat View Post
I spent time in Missouri. People seemed pretty friendly as I remember.

In Arizona, we had a lot of Midwestern transplants. We had neighbors from Minnesota (snowbirds). They were not overly friendly, but always polite. Not a lot of small talk, but so what.
LOL, you make it sound like Midwesterners are aliens. I just can't get over this...it truly is amazing.

Old 04-01-2016, 05:18 PM

4,666 posts, read 5,090,856 times
We're angels...

Old 04-01-2016, 05:51 PM

975 posts, read 1,404,648 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VASpaceMan View Post
Here's an answer about friendliness I gave in another thread:

I'm originally from the "south", I've lived all over the country and have friends and family in Canada. I lost my mild accent a long time ago.

Friendliness and extroverted-ness varies GREATLY around the country.

In the south people can be extremely polite, genuinely friendly, and VERY extroverted, and of course they can be not-so-much.

I lived in Portland. People in the Northwest are EXTREMELY polite, but can be very introverted and hard to get to know. (see :"Seattle Freeze"). I would say something very to-the-point, being very extroverted (my southern nature, or possibly my East Coast nature) and you could feel the discomfort in the room. Northwesterner culture is very similar to Canadian culture. I've seen some say that it's a reflection of the Northwest's scandinavian roots. The cultures of Portland and Seattle are very similar to Vancouver. Northwestern US culture is much closer to Canadian culture than Eastern US vs Canada. Maybe the NW culture is our most similar to European culture?

I lived in Chicago. It was a mix but in general people were very friendly for a mega city.

I've visited NYC and Philly a bunch of times. They tend to be very blunt, extroverted, and direct, which people label as rude, if they don't like you they will tell you, if they do they will also tell you.. but I've found people from both places actually to be very friendly. In particular, people in Philly. Philly extroverted bluntness is pretty much the polar opposite of Pacific Northwest introverted meek politeness. In NYC, I've had people recognize that I was lost and come up to help. I've heard, and experienced that the people from all over the country and world living in NYC are friendly, but I've heard from people who've lived there that the people in the suburbs surrounding NYC are incredibly unfriendly, snobby, elitist, etc. but I wouldn't know, I don't have any first hand experience...I can't imagine they would be any worse than the DC suburbs/Northern Virginia where I currently live.

DC and DC burbs, where I currently live: On the whole people are incredibly cold and unfriendly. I've had many conversation with resident foreign nationals and people from other parts of the country about how these people behave because it's so over the top. The only place I've lived, where in a safe, "cute" suburbs, my wife and/or I in our upper middle class clothes can be walking our baby in a stroller, pass someone else with a stroller and say "hi" or just smile and they often either:
- ignore you
- glare at you like you're a crazy person
- they give you a look like - "how dare you speak to me"
Same for at workplaces, people will ignore you or just look at you if you say "hi" or smile. I've gotten to the point where I've often stopped saying "hi" or smiling at people, which really upsets me. A coworker from Minnesota and I have talked about remaining vigilant about "not becoming one of them".
And no, I'm not a nut. Many people I know talk about the same thing. DC and it's burbs are notorious for being very hard to make friends. It seems to be a classist thing. If they think you are below them or can't further their career, you are worthless. I make a good salary, I'm an IT project manager, and have a really good career but I don't feel the need to club people over the head with it. I dress down so people feel comfortable around me, which seems like the opposite of people in the area. Unlike Portland, where conspicuous wealth can be seen as tacky and distasteful, they go out of their way to show off status symbols - cars, houses, clothes to show others their place. It reminds me of a stereotype of a ridiculous snobby, cliquish high school from a movie, but on the scale of a whole city. As much as they like to crow about their ivy league degrees, how well travelled they are, how much they get paid, how their kids got into the "Newsweeks #1 high school in the country" instead of their neighbors whose kids weren't good enough and had to slum it in the "4th best high school in the country"... whether they are aware of it or not, this is actually a form of ignorance. I think some of the people are keep a distance due to their government/defense jobs (some kind of honorable duty) so maybe they have a legitimate reason for it. Others are just a-hole sociopaths, and they fit in well here. Anyway, in general the personality of people in DC area goes completely against the friendly American stereotype. I feel obligated to let the residents from other countries know that the people in DC in no way represent the way most Americans behave, so they don't think we are all a--holes.

I've heard people say people in Boston are more unfriendly than DC and I can't imagine it. I've never visited or lived there so I can't say, but if this is true, what the hell is going on in Boston?!
NYC and DC are worlds apart in terms of friendliness.

People in NYC are generally very extroverted and blunt but are also (by and large) some of the nicest people I've ever met. Both people physically in NYC as well as ex-New Yorkers who have moved elsewhere. Yes, they're loud. Yes, they're opinionated. However, they seem very open to meeting new people and if you can get one to talk, they'll talk your ear off. I've been to several sporting events by myself in New York City an found people sitting next to me simply start talking to me.

People in DC are cold and calculating. I think that the city breeds that culture. People in DC only seem to communicate with one another and/or establish friendships with one another if they believe it will help them get ahead in the "rat race" that's prevalent there. I lived in the DC suburbs for 5 years and it was really difficult to establish friendships unless you really could help someone else "get ahead."

I've found Californians to be the worst people, by far, though. There's this "entitlement" attitude among Californians that isn't found a lot of other places. It's more of an "It's my way or the highway and if you **** me off I'll throw a big fit or sue you" type of an attitude. It's a lot easier to offend someone from California than people from other areas. Most Californians also feel that California is paradise and if they move elsewhere they'll constantly berate where they move for not being like California.

Old 04-01-2016, 07:45 PM

11,052 posts, read 12,442,762 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ztonyg View Post
Most Californians also feel that California is paradise and if they move elsewhere they'll constantly berate where they move for not being like California.
Never lived in California but this is true for pretty much everyone I know from California who lives in Boston. California has better weather, mountains, better Mexican food, is more relaxed and diverse, new Englanders are just cold people and the weather is terrible and it pretty much sucks in every way compared to California. Apparently. Still haven't figured out why they came to Boston though. Oh yeah that's right: education and job prospects, ya know, the most fundamental things you need in life that make all else possible.

California will implode soon enough. I'll tolerate these people in the mean time.

Old 04-02-2016, 05:40 AM

650 posts, read 867,608 times
People in the Midwest are pretty nice. But I've traveled quite a bit and I've met nice people almost everywhere. I'm originally from Michigan, I think we are nice unless you say something negative about Detroit, then that's another story

Old 04-02-2016, 06:14 AM

9,588 posts, read 5,838,987 times
Friendly Midwesterners? I think it depends on one's definition of "friendly," and perhaps the particular Midwestern location. I lived in Metro Detroit for more than a decade. While I found people there, for the most part, to be pleasant, polite, and decent, they were also the most insular of any place I've ever lived in.

Like other posters in this thread, I also find Southerners (at least in TN), to be much friendlier, more outgoing, and more welcoming.

Old 04-02-2016, 07:22 AM

975 posts, read 1,404,648 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by crystalballmagic View Post
People in the Midwest are pretty nice. But I've traveled quite a bit and I've met nice people almost everywhere. I'm originally from Michigan, I think we are nice unless you say something negative about Detroit, then that's another story
People from Michigan complain about Detroit all the time. It's really a shame. Outside of The blight in Detroit, Flint, and Pomtiac state is beyond gorgeou and at a least Det omit is finally showing signs and f life.

Perfect pole in Michigan are very friendly though.

Old 04-02-2016, 07:59 AM

1,349 posts, read 1,707,194 times
'Midwest' is such a huge area with vastly different cultures. The UP of Michigan feels like Alaska (cold, rugged, people who live there want to live where it's unpopulated and cold and rugged) all the way to Southern Illinois/Missouri (where they have southern drawls).

There are three regions in the Midwest IMO. The 'North' (MN, ND, SD, WI, MI) the 'Plains' (MO, NE, KS, IA) and the 'Industrial Belt' (IL, IN, OH). Obviously there's overlap but culturally these are truish.

I've lived in the North (MN) and the Industrial Belt (IL) and there are definite differences. Chicagoans are more blunt, less polite, less concerned with how they come across, but I find them to be very genuine and you kinda know where you stand. In MN it's ALL ABOUT how you come across to others. Which makes for an extremely pleasant society and honestly a civic and community engagement that's unmatched. Lawns are mowed, garbage cans go back in right away, children are kept in control in public etc. But very passive agressive/gossipy behind closed doors.

Old 04-02-2016, 01:35 PM

650 posts, read 867,608 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ztonyg View Post
People from Michigan complain about Detroit all the time. It's really a shame. Outside of The blight in Detroit, Flint, and Pomtiac state is beyond gorgeou and at a least Det omit is finally showing signs and f life.

Perfect pole in Michigan are very friendly though.
Yes I agree. Detroit is finally starting to improve. The riverwalk looks great and downtown is getting lively. Plus Wayne State is growing and improving. I personally love Detroit. It's a fun city.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.