Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-27-2014, 08:16 PM

354 posts, read 627,115 times

Advertisements

What does ROVA stand for??
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-27-2014, 08:23 PM

6,208 posts, read 9,205,461 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dontstressem22 View Post
What does ROVA stand for??
Rest of Virginia I believe. Basically all of Virginia outside of NoVa.

Old 05-27-2014, 10:53 PM

354 posts, read 627,115 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tcave360 View Post
Rest of Virginia I believe. Basically all of Virginia outside of NoVa.
O ok

Old 05-28-2014, 07:54 AM

5,819 posts, read 5,619,238 times
A whole bunch of ignorance in this thread:

1) while it is very true that "most" of Richmond architecture does not consist of rowhomes, it is also true that you can find rowhouses in more than a "1 - square mile area", as one truly ignorant poster put it. Richmond has several neighborhoods with rowhouses.

2) in regards to Richmond ' s similarity with MD or NC. Richmond City, itself, is more similar to DC and Baltimore than any city in NC. I think people have to remember, something like 40 of Richmond ' s 62.5 square miles were annexed in the 70s, and that the original areas of the City of Richmond were and still are very dense. Central Richmond, over to the East End, have more than a few census tracts of over 10,000 ppsm, and even the North si side has neighborhoods above 5k. Structurally, irregardless of the fact that "most" of Richmond isn't rowhomes, that is very different than anywhere in Carolina, and most of the South. Richmond at its peak was about 14k ppsm.

3) Richmond in present times is arguably more urban than the largest Southern metros (DAL/HOUS/ATL/MIA), which in turn would make another difference between it and NC. Seriously visit these larger cities. "Larger", without question. But from the city to the burbs, Richmond has levels of urbanity that align much more with large Northern cities than large Southern ones.

4) Maryland is a Northern state. How anybody could argue otherwise is absurd. However....I used to live in Upstate New York. Certainly, Maryland isn't considered the North up there...

5) some fool made the idiotic assertion of areas of VA being "tied" together and clearly showed he knows not what he speaks. Emporia and Roanoke Rapids are sister cities; neither are really connected to Petersburg. I said this before, I'll say it again. My generation (I'm 25), I played football in the Tri-Cities, and we traveled out to Emporia to play twice. They were country to us, and physically, Emporia looks nothing like Petersburg...All Petersburg is, is a smaller version of Richmond. Because it is a half hour south of Richmond, and because south of Petersburg is TRULY "the country", Petersburg has more Southern characteristics than Richmond. But not everyone in Petersburg has a southern accent. Petersburg has rowhomes, Petersburg has dense architecture besides rowhomes in neighborhoods like Walnut Hill. Petersburg isn't "tied-in" to any city in VA besides Richmond...

6) Nova is clearly Northern. So many untruths and half - wit statements on Nova in this thread I don't know where to begin. Richmond - Petersburg is the new transition zone; Nova is nor longer in transition. Lol...and Hampton Roads has a blend of everybody's culture, so it is similar in ways to MD, NE NC. But listen--there is nowhere in the Tidewater as urban as Richmond. The exurbs of Greater Richmond seamlessly blend into Tidewater, and vice-versa; Prince George Co - Charles City Co - Surry Co, combines cultural elements of Richmond and Hampton Roads.

I'll stop here. But I really wish some people would listen to how Virginians view their state rather than how their outside perception is.

Old 05-30-2014, 11:30 AM

77 posts, read 165,302 times
Virginia is different ive lived here for a while and im from nc. NOVA is completely different from all of VA it is northeastern Richmond is a northeastern city full of southern people and traditions. People from richmond are southerners maybe even a little more southern than me and im from raleigh. Richmond has nothing in common with nc outside of greensboro/winston salem. The density and build of richmond is a smaller d.c with a baltimore like downtown. Lynchburg/Roanoke area of Va is a lot like cities in nc. Hampton roads metro extends into nc but is nothing like most of nc. Take away norfolk and newport news hampton roads is southern in every aspect and nothing like maryland. Also most nc and va people visit states back and forth and are similar people. Va and nc are alike more than va and md or nc and sc. Nova being the exception and the structure of richmond

Old 05-30-2014, 12:33 PM

5,819 posts, read 5,619,238 times
@nc, you hit on everything except saying the people of Richmond are more Southern than the people of Raleigh.. not true at all...

Old 05-30-2014, 01:00 PM

386 posts, read 986,181 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by murksiderock View Post
@nc, you hit on everything except saying the people of Richmond are more Southern than the people of Raleigh.. not true at all...
I disagree with that aspect also. However, I do believe that many people (especially AA's) are more traditional southern in Richmond than in the Tidewater area. VA has similiarities to both NC and MD, but I believe the major metro areas lean more to the North in general (NOVA, RVA, Tidewater). However, southern elements are still alive in each of the major metros with NOVA having the least amount of southern attributes and RVA and Tidewater having more southern elements. Lynchburg/Farmville/Emporia/Danville are very similar in culture to the piedmont area of NC.

Old 05-30-2014, 03:07 PM

797 posts, read 1,429,215 times
Not saying that these cities are not southern but places like Winchester, Petersburg, Portsmouth are hidden jewls and have historic architecture that you will not find in most smaller cities in NC, i wonder why nobody ever talks about VA smaller cities.

Old 05-30-2014, 04:09 PM

2,330 posts, read 4,400,176 times
What's Irrelevant is people from the south denying the Fact that Maryland and Delaware are Southern States.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LNKNE-ADJ View Post
I've read the last few of your posts and I must say I'm a little confused by you.

I am from the midwest originally, as are most of the people in my office and no one that I asked has any reason whatsoever to make a prejudicial decision about Maryland's status as northern or southern. That being said, all of them have said that they assumed it was in the Northeast. And to be honest, I would have probably assumed it was northern before I discovered the term "mid-atlantic."

I don't understand why you feel that people like myself with no familial ties to the south at all, hates the state of Maryland and Delaware because we aren't under the impression that it is or isn't southern? Who cares if it's in the South? It's kind of irrelevant, isn't it?

Old 05-30-2014, 04:16 PM

6,208 posts, read 9,205,461 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by murksiderock View Post
A whole bunch of ignorance in this thread:

1) while it is very true that "most" of Richmond architecture does not consist of rowhomes, it is also true that you can find rowhouses in more than a "1 - square mile area", as one truly ignorant poster put it. Richmond has several neighborhoods with rowhouses.

2) in regards to Richmond ' s similarity with MD or NC. Richmond City, itself, is more similar to DC and Baltimore than any city in NC. I think people have to remember, something like 40 of Richmond ' s 62.5 square miles were annexed in the 70s, and that the original areas of the City of Richmond were and still are very dense. Central Richmond, over to the East End, have more than a few census tracts of over 10,000 ppsm, and even the North si side has neighborhoods above 5k. Structurally, irregardless of the fact that "most" of Richmond isn't rowhomes, that is very different than anywhere in Carolina, and most of the South. Richmond at its peak was about 14k ppsm.

3) Richmond in present times is arguably more urban than the largest Southern metros (DAL/HOUS/ATL/MIA), which in turn would make another difference between it and NC. Seriously visit these larger cities. "Larger", without question. But from the city to the burbs, Richmond has levels of urbanity that align much more with large Northern cities than large Southern ones.

4) Maryland is a Northern state. How anybody could argue otherwise is absurd. However....I used to live in Upstate New York. Certainly, Maryland isn't considered the North up there...

5) some fool made the idiotic assertion of areas of VA being "tied" together and clearly showed he knows not what he speaks. Emporia and Roanoke Rapids are sister cities; neither are really connected to Petersburg. I said this before, I'll say it again. My generation (I'm 25), I played football in the Tri-Cities, and we traveled out to Emporia to play twice. They were country to us, and physically, Emporia looks nothing like Petersburg...All Petersburg is, is a smaller version of Richmond. Because it is a half hour south of Richmond, and because south of Petersburg is TRULY "the country", Petersburg has more Southern characteristics than Richmond. But not everyone in Petersburg has a southern accent. Petersburg has rowhomes, Petersburg has dense architecture besides rowhomes in neighborhoods like Walnut Hill. Petersburg isn't "tied-in" to any city in VA besides Richmond...

6) Nova is clearly Northern. So many untruths and half - wit statements on Nova in this thread I don't know where to begin. Richmond - Petersburg is the new transition zone; Nova is nor longer in transition. Lol...and Hampton Roads has a blend of everybody's culture, so it is similar in ways to MD, NE NC. But listen--there is nowhere in the Tidewater as urban as Richmond. The exurbs of Greater Richmond seamlessly blend into Tidewater, and vice-versa; Prince George Co - Charles City Co - Surry Co, combines cultural elements of Richmond and Hampton Roads.

I'll stop here. But I really wish some people would listen to how Virginians view their state rather than how their outside perception is.
Solid post. I have one question out of curiosity though, how would you compare the urbanity of Richmond to Norfolk and Portsmouth (both of which are probably two of the most urban cities of the Tidewater region)?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.