Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-18-2014, 01:40 PM

2,330 posts, read 4,402,360 times

Advertisements

And its you peoples Tax Dollars that have been funding anti-Growth special interest groups to hijacked the Maryland Demorcat party to make sure that the Maryland Suburbs of DC won't ever attract Business and Economic Growth and Highway building on the same level as your Good Ol Boy region of Northern. A lot of people are growing hip to the under the table schemes that your side of the river have pulling on Maryland for the last 50-60 years.

Quote:
Originally Posted by YellowKing View Post
Most people from Virginia don't hate Maryland. It's only the people in Northern Virginia and DC that hate Maryland because they have to deal with the dregs of MD on a daily basis. When you see both 495 bridges completely crowded coming into VA every day with Marylanders (and empty going the opposite direction) who drive like punks, have hoopties that aren't inspected and half the time don't have working brake lights running around on 24 inch rims 40 miles deep into Virginia every day, it gets old. When you live in one of the closer communities like Alexandria and 80% of the violent crime is committed by people from Prince Georges, it gets old. When every shopping center is full of MD plates and loud, obnoxious people from MD that come to Virginia because stores closed up shop in MD due to the crime, it gets old. When there's a 24 screen imax theatre just across the bridge that has to keep active duty police there at all times because 90% of the patrons are from PG, it gets old.

Maryland has some wonderful places, like the inner harbor of Baltimore, Annapolis or even the north western suburbs, but the crappiest people and crappiest place happens to butt up against Virginia and it really makes Virginians who have to deal with their antics come to be bitter about them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-18-2014, 03:00 PM

2,330 posts, read 4,402,360 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Diff1 View Post
Im a Virginia resident but I like Maryland, Baltimore and somewhat D.C. reminds me of Oakland CA where im originally from.
Cali is a cool state with a lot of diversity.

Old 06-18-2014, 04:44 PM

797 posts, read 1,430,752 times
The black pop. in Oakland reminds me of the AA people in the DMV area with the mild southern undertones in all.

Old 06-19-2014, 10:25 AM

2,595 posts, read 4,658,144 times
Default boredatwork

Quote:
Originally Posted by YellowKing View Post
Pentagon City Row/Mall, Anywhere on Route 1 or Duke Street in Alexandria, AMC Hoffman movie theater and shops. It's obvious they're from MD because of the parking lots are completely full of MD plates.

No one goes to National Harbor to shop, unless you mean the outlet mall. The Harbor itself is full of crappy, overpriced chain restaurants and DC parking costs. I would venture a guess that most people's first visit to National Harbor is also their last.

But I see just as many VA plates in MD as anybody else, almost portraying the same demeanor of its MD neighbors as if its where they come to chill.

Old 06-29-2014, 08:33 PM

52 posts, read 109,593 times
DC has a large influence on N. VA, which is pretty much just an extension of DC, and the surrounding MD counties. The cost of living is very high and some of the most affluent areas in the country can be found in Fairfax County and the surrounding areas. Once you get 50 miles or so south of DC, then VA begins to take on a very southern feel. The pace and cost of living drop quickly and you start to feel like you are in the south. So, I would say VA is more like NC, except for N. VA.

Old 07-01-2014, 01:07 AM

996 posts, read 1,897,450 times
NOVA is definitely more like Maryland, politically and economically. The rest of the state is more like North Carolina, though, I would argue Southwestern VA is more like West Virginia then anything else.

Old 07-02-2014, 08:16 AM

2,823 posts, read 4,493,664 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlotteNCRepublican View Post
NOVA is definitely more like Maryland, politically and economically. The rest of the state is more like North Carolina, though, I would argue Southwestern VA is more like West Virginia then anything else.
This is extremely accurate, and I imagine you can also find similarities between Southwestern VA and Kentucky and Tennessee. The Virginia heartland, areas such as Richmond, Charlottesville, Roanoke, Lynchburg, Farmville, Petersburg, and especially Danville and Martinsville are not too dissimilar from a lot of NC areas.

Old 07-02-2014, 10:04 AM

8,011 posts, read 11,404,247 times
They're all distinct really. Virginia is much more Victorian and colonial.
North Carolina is where the dirt turns red and the people have a much
stronger accent. Maryland seems to be built more compact.

Old 07-02-2014, 05:56 PM

797 posts, read 1,430,752 times
I don't see Richmond VA and even Norfolk VA being more similar to NC cities

Old 07-03-2014, 09:45 AM

37,882 posts, read 41,956,856 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Diff1 View Post
I don't see Richmond VA and even Norfolk VA being more similar to NC cities
Winston-Salem is like a mini-Richmond in a couple of respects (tobacco legacy, artsy vibe/arts schools, higher ed scene, historic industrial buildings, historic districts, etc.). Norfolk is similar to Fayetteville in terms of having a heavy military presence (although that's probably about where the similarities end), and the Tidewater culture extends to northeastern NC.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.