Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-03-2014, 11:46 AM

1,264 posts, read 1,552,562 times

Advertisements

Depends, NOVA, RVA, and the Northwestern Areas (Shenandoah Charlottesville) are definitely like Maryland, while Tidewater area, and the southern tip are more like North Carolina.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-03-2014, 11:47 AM

1,264 posts, read 1,552,562 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
Winston-Salem is like a mini-Richmond in a couple of respects (tobacco legacy, artsy vibe/arts schools, higher ed scene, historic industrial buildings, historic districts, etc.). Norfolk is similar to Fayetteville in terms of having a heavy military presence (although that's probably about where the similarities end), and the Tidewater culture extends to northeastern NC.
WOW someone on here really compared RVA to a crappy sunbelt city!
After living here for many years, and being to both Baltimore, and Winston Salem, I can say that RVA is MUCH more of a cleaner Baltimore.

Old 07-03-2014, 12:46 PM

37,882 posts, read 41,956,856 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pantin23 View Post
WOW someone on here really compared RVA to a crappy sunbelt city!
After living here for many years, and being to both Baltimore, and Winston Salem, I can say that RVA is MUCH more of a cleaner Baltimore.
Winston-Salem a "crappy Sunbelt city"? Obviously we're not talking about the same Winston-Salem here. At any rate, nothing you've stated disproves anything I said. Anyone who's actually familiar with both Richmond and Winston-Salem can easily recognize the similarities I pointed out.

Old 07-03-2014, 09:46 PM

2,823 posts, read 4,493,664 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pantin23 View Post
Depends, NOVA, RVA, and the Northwestern Areas (Shenandoah Charlottesville) are definitely like Maryland, while Tidewater area, and the southern tip are more like North Carolina.
I actually think the Shenandoah Valley and Charlottesville are a bit more like North Carolina, but that's definitely as far north as it goes. Fredericksburg and a few areas to the east are probably more similar to Maryland, I'd imagine the southern culture gradually slips away as you travel north of Richmond. Most people agree that the south ends at NOVA.

Old 07-04-2014, 11:32 AM

2,330 posts, read 4,402,360 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mvmdmd View Post
DC has a large influence on N. VA, which is pretty much just an extension of DC, and the surrounding MD counties. The cost of living is very high and some of the most affluent areas in the country can be found in Fairfax County and the surrounding areas. Once you get 50 miles or so south of DC, then VA begins to take on a very southern feel. The pace and cost of living drop quickly and you start to feel like you are in the south. So, I would say VA is more like NC, except for N. VA.
The same thing when you get over to the Maryland Eastern Shore.

Old 07-07-2014, 05:19 PM

797 posts, read 1,430,752 times
By no means is Winston Salem crappy but besides the history of tobacco what similarities do they share, to me the vibes, culture and architecture of these areas are very diffrent

Old 07-07-2014, 11:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diff1 View Post
By no means is Winston Salem crappy but besides the history of tobacco what similarities do they share, to me the vibes, culture and architecture of these areas are very diffrent
I touched on the similarities in post #230, but I go into a little more detail in this post. I tend to think of them as having something of a neighboring state municipal big sibling/little sibling relationship, similar to Memphis and Jackson (or Little Rock), Dallas and OKC, NOLA and Mobile, etc.

Old 07-08-2014, 07:49 PM

797 posts, read 1,430,752 times
Those are still mainly historical similarities, today the cities feel very diffrent to me for example WS is a city that is about 132 sq mi with a pop of 236,000 and Richmond is about 62 sq mi with a pop of 214,000 this creates two diffrent types of cities to me.

Old 07-09-2014, 10:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diff1 View Post
Those are still mainly historical similarities, today the cities feel very different to me for example WS is a city that is about 132 sq mi with a pop of 236,000 and Richmond is about 62 sq mi with a pop of 214,000 this creates two diffrent types of cities to me.
Not really. Although not as big as it once was, tobacco is still big in both cities (Phillip Morris, RJR) plus you've got the arts schools (NCSA, VCU) and artsy vibes, large corporate bases for their sizes, medical schools and research campuses, preserved historic areas, geographical similarities (Piedmont location), etc. I'm saying they have similarities, not that they are clones of each other because that wouldn't be true.

Old 07-09-2014, 01:21 PM

2,823 posts, read 4,493,664 times
Charlottesville reminds me of a cross between Chapel Hill and Asheville in NC. Chapel Hill because of the similarities between UNC and UVA, and Asheville because of the mountainous, college town vibe. I don't see too many similarities between the Charlottesville area and anywhere in Maryland, too me it feels more like NC but it's quite distinct in general. You'll find the most similarities in the countryside of VA and NC, most of the cities in VA are quite distinct.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.