Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-14-2013, 02:43 PM

6,512 posts, read 7,549,515 times

Advertisements

I second Minneapolis.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-14-2013, 05:14 PM

93,348 posts, read 123,972,828 times
Buffalo may work, as Lackawanna and part of the city have a notable Muslim presence, but I believe that some may live in other towns as well. There are a few aerospace related jobs as well. Aerospace Engineer jobs in Buffalo, NY - Indeed Mobile

Buffalo Masjids, Mosques, and Islamic Centers - Salatomatic

Old 12-14-2013, 07:17 PM

1,368 posts, read 3,217,838 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by domabozo View Post
Tulsa sounds great in affordability , don't know about Job market and also doubt the weather is reasonable
If the OP thinks Tulsa weather is unreasonable, why would anyone think they should consider Dallas or Houston? The climate for heat and humidity is worse there than Tulsa and for far longer periods of the year.

Tulsa is a four season climate but I will admit that the summers here can be difficult. No where near as bad as Houston though.

There are aerospace jobs in South Carolina but I don't know how it's climate compares to Tulsa. I know the cost of living is a bit more expensive and a lot more vocal rednecks (they haven't admitted losing the Civil War either). I would not suggest it due to that.

Old 12-14-2013, 08:11 PM

186 posts, read 247,487 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by peterlemonjello View Post
Try the Texas cities of Dallas and Houston. Both very affordable and very diverse. I reside in a suburb of Dallas and the Muslim community is extremely active here. They work closely with our city on food drives and the adopt a street program. People don't give a second glance to hijabs or Muslims here and we welcome any good neighbor.
appreciate if you advise that Suburb name

Old 12-14-2013, 08:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyingcat2k View Post
If the OP thinks Tulsa weather is unreasonable, why would anyone think they should consider Dallas or Houston? The climate for heat and humidity is worse there than Tulsa and for far longer periods of the year.

Tulsa is a four season climate but I will admit that the summers here can be difficult. No where near as bad as Houston though.

There are aerospace jobs in South Carolina but I don't know how it's climate compares to Tulsa. I know the cost of living is a bit more expensive and a lot more vocal rednecks (they haven't admitted losing the Civil War either). I would not suggest it due to that.
No for me Hot and Humid is ok , But I think OK have unstable weather , lot of Torandos . thunder storms , etc than Dallas / Houston

Old 12-14-2013, 10:39 PM

13,384 posts, read 25,747,031 times
Quote:
appreciate if you advise that Suburb name
Plano, TX.

Old 12-15-2013, 01:22 AM

278 posts, read 308,735 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawn.Davenport View Post
Minneapolis! Great economy. Represented in Congress by a Muslim.
Cool

Old 12-17-2013, 02:58 AM

but heard that there is a lot of troubles and tensions driven by Somali population

Old 12-17-2013, 03:43 AM

1,772 posts, read 3,520,124 times
Quote:
but heard that there is a lot of troubles and tensions driven by Somali population
Yes, you're correct, but those tensions are rooted more in racial, cultural, and economic issues rather than religion.

One, I hate to say this, but Somalis are blacker than black, which is a strike against them for the start in the minds of racist bigots who live in any city. Two, young Somali men will often try to emulate African-American culture, which many African Americans aren't too happy about. Third, they're pitted against other poor immigrants, mostly from Mexico, Ecuador, and Laos, for the crappy low-end jobs, creating more ethnic tension.

Despite the problems the the Somali face, mostly due to race rather than religion, there are other thriving Muslim immigrant communities in Minneapolis (mainly from Iran, Afghanistan, and Turkey) that are doing very well and don't face discrimination. I believe that the Twin Cities are home to one of the larges Kurdish communities in the country. The University of Minnesota, one of the largest in the country, enrolls 52,000 students, many of whom are Muslim, who face no issues of discrimination.

Old 12-17-2013, 09:41 AM

442 posts, read 800,551 times
Tehran.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.