Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: What college that has accepted me is in the nicest city? Post a Poll
KU 3 13.64%
IU Bloomington 8 36.36%
Marquette 11 50.00%
Voters: 22. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-16-2013, 07:50 AM

23,458 posts, read 44,061,014 times

Advertisements

Bloomington is lovely. Rent the 1979 movie Breaking Away. It was filmed in Bloomington and shows off the campus and town very well.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-16-2013, 09:33 AM

549 posts, read 848,280 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Creed' View Post
The only thing I am worried about is crime in Milwaukee.

I like the proximity to Chicago a city I love, it's also where my cousins live, but I am worried Marquette won't be a traditional college experience. However, Chicago's closeness "takes the cake"

To help me further.

A bit about me personally:
I am not a big party animal. I prefer pubs/bars over nightclubs.
I hate the idea of Greek life, so a school that doesn't have a predominant Greek scene is a plus.
I am going to be a history major.
I can't drive.
Rail/bus links to other big cities would be good.

If that helps narrow down the list...
Juding from your first post I would've said Bloomington or Lawrence, KS but after reading this Milwaukee is definitely the best choice for you. From Marquette's campus you can walk to the Amtrak station to get to Chicago. The bars in Milwaukee are also much more relaxed and not college freshman madhouses. There are a few Greek houses in Milwaukee, but it's not a rush city. You'd also be on Rt 30, which gets you to everywhere you need to go in Milwaukee.

Safety around Marquette can be a concern, but if you're not an idiot you'll be fine. Don't wander around at 10pm with headphones on and your wallet open. That's just city life 101. If you do choose Marquette and are worried about safety, I would avoid moving anywhere West of 21st Street and North of Kilbourne Ave. As someone else mentioned, Milwaukee is VERY segregated and there are very clear lines where things start to change. Marquette's campus is right on the border. I would actually recommend living on the East Side somewhere so that you're able to walk to a grocery store and catch bus routes 10 or 30 to campus.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.