Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-12-2014, 11:08 PM

1,445 posts, read 2,326,570 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by orlando-calrissian View Post
Personally, I prefer the Southwest to the Southeast, but I don't see how Atlanta or the Carolinas are worse than Phoenix or Albuquerque. Florida is different case entirely, mainly because of the people that live here, not the climate.

Well the average high in Atlanta and the Carolinas isn't 106° and both of these cities see much more rain.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-12-2014, 11:08 PM

2,330 posts, read 3,822,505 times
I don't think the sunbelt is going to run out of water. I think that as their infrastructure gets older their taxes are going to have to go up, and they will lose their advantage as low cost relocation centers.

Old 01-12-2014, 11:14 PM

1,207 posts, read 1,286,539 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Austincool View Post
Well the average high in Atlanta and the Carolinas isn't 106° and both of these cities see much more rain.
The humidity does make a difference. Most people would rather tolerate a dry heat than a humid heat. A dry 106 can feel a lot better than a humid 95. In Florida and Atlanta, there are some summer days where you can't walk around for half an hour without breaking out into a full sweat. And less rain is preferable in some cases, especially if you like more sunny days. Now, the Southwest might have to worry about drought conditions, but as time progresses, alternative sources of water will be found and this may not be as much of an issue.

Old 01-12-2014, 11:28 PM

5,365 posts, read 6,352,526 times
With the exception of Texas and strangely Miami the massive growth the sunbelt received prior to the recession has ended. Atlanta, Tampa, Charlotte, Orlando...those places aren't growing anywhere near what they were before.

Old 01-12-2014, 11:31 PM

5,365 posts, read 6,352,526 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by danielj72 View Post
New England and the rest of the northeast will always have an appeal to those who want a fast paced life, an attraction to high culture and access to high powered careers. The weather up there is not that bad along the coast either. The Midwest however, especially the upper Midwest is dogged by an image of extreme cold, dull landscapes and messed up cities like Detroit or Milwaukee. Chicago does attract some people, but the general image of the region as lacking culture, and having cold in abundance hurts the areas appeal. The upper Midwest is highly underated, there is a lot of beauty there, but the image is what drives current trends of people leaving that part of America. Unless people change their minds about states like Mi, Wi, Mn etc then current trends will continue. A major water shortage is the regions best shot at instant revivial. Those desert states out west are a disaster waiting to happen. Five million people should not be living in the phoenix desert, that is just a bad thing that can only end poorly.
Deserts are not a hamper to that areas growth. Look at Egypt. That country is almost l desert and there is over 80 million people there.

Old 01-13-2014, 12:35 AM

2,330 posts, read 3,822,505 times
That is because the Nile Valley is incredibly fertile. Without the Nile most of inland Egypt would look like inland Libya.

Old 01-13-2014, 09:19 PM

1,640 posts, read 2,663,751 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ant131531 View Post
I fail to see how the desert states are 'better tolerable' alternatives to the Southeast states. Unless you like consistent 100 degree weather and the upcoming threat of drought conditions. At least the SE states have 4 seasons, RAIN, and close to the coast, especially Florida.
Quote:
Originally Posted by danielj72 View Post
How are western states more tolerable than the southern states?? We have trees, we have water and rain, we have beaches and the southern Appalachian mountains. The most intolerable states in the union are the ones people are leaving like rats jumping from the Titanic.
Many people prefer the scenery of the Southwest to the scenery of the Southeast, hence the reason why Nevada, Arizona, and Utah were the three fastest-growing U.S. states--in that order--from the 1950's to the 2000's with Texas and Colorado hot-on-their-heels. And let's not forget that the most populous state in the nation is also rather arid--California, The King.

However, in my previous post, I was mostly referring to the fact that people in Southwest are much easier to live around (i.e., less religious, less nosy, less judgemental, less socially-conservative) than people in the Southeast, especially for people from the Northeast, Upper Midwest, and West Coast. I've lived in both regions, and that's the conclusion I've drawn. YMMV.

Old 01-13-2014, 09:50 PM

375 posts, read 802,462 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nep321 View Post
Texas has no world class cities.
Dallas and Houston are bland and boring. I've been to both. Neither of them compare to NYC, LA, SF, DC, Paris, London, Tokyo, Rome, Berlin, etc.
Maybe not in that class, but i'd say they are 2nd tier world cities

Old 01-13-2014, 09:55 PM

11,669 posts, read 17,994,731 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by greenbay33 View Post
Maybe not in that class, but i'd say they are 2nd tier world cities
Okay I can agree with you on that.

Old 01-14-2014, 03:57 AM

9,067 posts, read 15,828,709 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CravingMountains View Post
With the exception of Texas and strangely Miami the massive growth the sunbelt received prior to the recession has ended. Atlanta, Tampa, Charlotte, Orlando...those places aren't growing anywhere near what they were before.
I'd say slowed more than ended.The housing market in Atlanta is hot again the rest of the economy will follow as well as population.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.