Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-30-2014, 08:06 PM

11,669 posts, read 17,942,476 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CravingMountains View Post
I guess it is my young age and i grew up with them but illegal immigrants just don't bother me. They are mostly pretty nice in fact.

And snow for six months of the year is way way worse than having the beautiful warm sun out.
But seriously, where does it snow for 6 months out of the year, other than Alaska? Even in Buffalo and Rochester, NY, it only snows for about 4 months of the year at most. Here in southern New England, only about 3 months per year. The other 8-9 months of the year, there's NO snow! People exaggerate so much about this. And now a days with climate change and such, we're seeing at least one significant snow storm per year in SOUTHERN states! I lived in Charlotte, NC last February for the entire month, and guess what? I still had to wear a jacket, turn on the heat and stay warm. Even Atlanta gets cold for a few months. And it snowed while I was there! It was COLD! So really, what are people gaining by moving from the northeast to these southern utopian states? A measely two months of extra warmth? Really?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-30-2014, 09:18 PM

5,365 posts, read 6,335,279 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nep321 View Post
But seriously, where does it snow for 6 months out of the year, other than Alaska? Even in Buffalo and Rochester, NY, it only snows for about 4 months of the year at most. Here in southern New England, only about 3 months per year. The other 8-9 months of the year, there's NO snow! People exaggerate so much about this. And now a days with climate change and such, we're seeing at least one significant snow storm per year in SOUTHERN states! I lived in Charlotte, NC last February for the entire month, and guess what? I still had to wear a jacket, turn on the heat and stay warm. Even Atlanta gets cold for a few months. And it snowed while I was there! It was COLD! So really, what are people gaining by moving from the northeast to these southern utopian states? A measely two months of extra warmth? Really?
That two months is a LOT. lol.

I can't speak for what is normal in the north, as I have only visited. But my aunt who lived in upsate New York for several years said that she would get snow some years into May, with snow flurries and ice starting as early as October. I have been to Chicago in June and it got down into the 40s at night.

There is also this very false saying among northerners that people in the south sweat for six months of the year. I doubt that. I just moved here to Atlanta from Florida but have been visiting for years and the only really hot time is from mid may to mid September. Cool pleasant evenings and even some cold fronts start coming in by mid September.

I guess that is what I notice coming from Florida, where you truly do sweat for nine months of the year. April until late December don't go out in heavy clothing or misery will befall you.

Old 01-30-2014, 09:37 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,722,105 times
Quote:
Most of Colorado. Denver can see snow in September and snow in June. The only months it's never snowed in Denver are July and August. However, snow is rare in Sept. and even rarer in June, but not at all uncommon from Oct-May. That's 8 months. It can snow in the mountains any month of the year.

Old 01-30-2014, 11:53 PM

9,067 posts, read 15,792,576 times
Quote:
I guess it is my young age and i grew up with them but illegal immigrants just don't bother me. They are mostly pretty nice in fact.

And snow for six months of the year is way way worse than having the beautiful warm sun out.
I agree wholeheartedly with everything you said.

Old 01-31-2014, 12:12 AM

9,067 posts, read 15,792,576 times
Quote:
In December there were days people were wearing shorts.Winter here in Atlanta starts later and ends earlier.
The cold weather in Atlanta will be over by mid to late April.A heavy coat will less ikely be needed by March.More like a light jacket

In Chicago or NYC areas it starts in October and last till the beginning of May.You will need a heavy coat at least through April.

The other thing is time.Do you have a house or property up North?Do you have a car?If you do,you have to get up many days after a snow and shovel BEFORE you go to work or school.(No Thanks!)

The other thing people forget is that up North like in NYC ,it gets dark at between 4 and 5pm.That sucks!

Its not just the snow but it is too much colder!-17 is not the same as 30degrees.The temperatures up North routinely are below zero.

The other thing is damage to the roads and cars because of the plowing and salt.Cars go through a lot up north.
The roads up North are atrocious!

Old 01-31-2014, 05:22 AM

1,207 posts, read 1,281,726 times
Quote:
I don't understand why people would want to give up beautiful mountains, hills, greenery and oceans in favor of a flat, boring, semi-dry place like Dallas or Phoenix that are totally landlocked, with endless suburbia, boulevards, and fast food restaurants that you can smell while driving around and sweating for 6 months of the year and seeing illegal aliens on a daily basis.
1. How do you know those people are illegals?
2. You will not sweat 6 months out of the year.
3. You can choose between hot Sunbelt summer or cold Midwest winter. I choose summer.
4. Most of the U.S. is suburbia, fast food, and boulevards: Phoenix, Dallas, Atlanta, Portland, Minneapolis, Denver, etc. So you're basically choosing one burb over another.
5. Phoenix isn't flat. You obviously haven't been there.
6. The scenery around Phoenix is beautiful, plus you're 2 hours away from Flagstaff which is completely different. And 5 hours away from San Diego and LA. There's your ocean.
7. Greenery is overrated. I prefer the views I can get out West in the deserts and mountains.

Old 01-31-2014, 07:14 AM

11,669 posts, read 17,942,476 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by orlando-calrissian View Post
1. How do you know those people are illegals?
2. You will not sweat 6 months out of the year.
3. You can choose between hot Sunbelt summer or cold Midwest winter. I choose summer.
4. Most of the U.S. is suburbia, fast food, and boulevards: Phoenix, Dallas, Atlanta, Portland, Minneapolis, Denver, etc. So you're basically choosing one burb over another.
5. Phoenix isn't flat. You obviously haven't been there.
6. The scenery around Phoenix is beautiful, plus you're 2 hours away from Flagstaff which is completely different. And 5 hours away from San Diego and LA. There's your ocean.
7. Greenery is overrated. I prefer the views I can get out West in the deserts and mountains.
#4 is not quite true in the northeast. It's far less prevalent up here. We don't really have boulevards. We don't have NEARLY as many fast food restaurants, either, such as Chick-Fil-A, Hardees, Carl's Jr., Bojangles, Jack in the Box. NONE of that. All we have is McDonald's, BK, Wendy's, Subway and a few other minor ones. We don't have many of those spacious divided highways that are found down south.

#5. I have been to Phoenix twice. Yes, most of the area where people live is FLAT. There are mountains on the outer edge of the metro area, however. But they're mostly brown and dry looking.

#7. Greenery is not overrated. Why do you think all those desert metro areas (i.e. Denver, Vegas, Phoenix, etc.) put artificial grass on people's lawns all over the place, and trees that are not native to the area? Because they want GREEN, not BROWN.

Old 01-31-2014, 07:22 AM

10,747 posts, read 23,809,943 times
Quote:
I don't understand why people would want to give up beautiful mountains, hills, greenery and oceans in favor of a flat, boring, semi-dry place like Dallas or Phoenix that are totally landlocked, with endless suburbia, boulevards, and fast food restaurants that you can smell while driving around and sweating for 6 months of the year and seeing illegal aliens on a daily basis.......

........#5. I have been to Phoenix twice. Yes, most of the area where people live is FLAT. There are mountains on the outer edge of the metro area, however. But they're mostly brown and dry looking.

#7. Greenery is not overrated. Why do you think all those desert metro areas (i.e. Denver, Vegas, Phoenix, etc.) put artificial grass on people's lawns all over the place, and trees that are not native to the area? Because they want GREEN, not BROWN.
OR...

http://www.city-data.com/forum/phoen...back-east.html
Quote:
Well, the main reason Phoenix appeals to me is because of the mild winters and reasonable cost of living. I also like the desert scenery sometimes. I mean, I do prefer deciduous green forest scenery over desert, but the desert is very nice too. People seem to have beautifully manicured yards in Phoenix and the construction is brand new in many areas.

One time I visited in December, and another time in January and thought the weather was amazing. Never been there in the summer though. But up here in Connecticut, I love it when it reaches 90 degrees with humidity.

So, is Phoenix paradise? It seems like everything is perfect. Excellent job market, affordable housing, new construction, great climate, friendly people, and great for singles.
Make up your mind nep

Old 01-31-2014, 08:02 AM

1,312 posts, read 2,168,609 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by orlando-calrissian View Post
7. Greenery is overrated.
This is one of the most ridiculous things I've ever read on here, and that's saying something.

Old 01-31-2014, 08:20 AM

4,861 posts, read 9,306,847 times
Quote:

Snow for six months of the year? LOL. I live in lower Michigan and that is a gross exaggeration, to say the least. We get snow in December (sometimes but not always), January, February, March (not much, mostly tapering off by then with temps in the 40s and low 50s), and on a very rare occasion, early April, but on that rare occasion it disappears within hours. My birthday is in late April and there have been years where we celebrated by dining at a restaurant al fresco. In Michigan. In April. With the sun warm on our backs.

If we got snow six months of the year, people would be barbecuing and watering their petunias with parkas on, lol.

Last edited by canudigit; 01-31-2014 at 08:37 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.