Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-14-2014, 06:58 AM

3,298 posts, read 3,904,827 times

Advertisements

I have been looking at real estate and cities all over the US. Times have changed. It used to be that you moved to the South or West for a cheap cost of living. People would move to the South and purchased houses for at least half of what they cost in the North. That is no longer the case. I am finding that real estate and the cost of living is very expensive in the most of the country except for the classic Rustbelt cities of the North.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-14-2014, 07:01 AM

1,772 posts, read 3,531,529 times
In terms of natural resources and infrastructure, the rust belt can't be beat. Once some labor issues are worked out, I can think of no better place to do business (and I'm a Democrat).

Old 01-14-2014, 07:18 AM

11,669 posts, read 18,000,776 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Streetwise202 View Post
Maryland is not a southern state, Virginia is though.
Well, MD doesn't feel southern, but it feels southern compared to New England and NY for sure. And it's below the mason Dixie line.

Old 01-14-2014, 07:56 AM

93,998 posts, read 124,814,196 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluecarebear View Post
I have been looking at real estate and cities all over the US. Times have changed. It used to be that you moved to the South or West for a cheap cost of living. People would move to the South and purchased houses for at least half of what they cost in the North. That is no longer the case. I am finding that real estate and the cost of living is very expensive in the most of the country except for the classic Rustbelt cities of the North.
Very true and the overall COL is about the same. It really is more about getting a good job nowadays.

Old 01-14-2014, 11:12 AM

9,486 posts, read 10,846,421 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluecarebear View Post

Housing is still disproportionally expensive on both coasts, California and the northeast being the worst. Much of the south and Midwest is still quite affordable. Your right about the "rust belt" areas of the Midwest. Indiana, Michigan, Wisconsin are all very cheap. Housing is so cheap in those areas that anyone with a job can own a decent house there. It has been widely reported that hundreds of thousands have moved away from that area, thus leaving a large amount of housing stock. Remember people left those states because they could not find jobs, and the weather is quite harsh. If you can get a job and tolerate the climate it can be a nice area of the country to live in. Just a caution though, make sure to avoid the big cities in those states, they are not very nice. Detroit by far the worst, but others to stay away from, Milwaukee, Gary, Flint, just to mention a few. Midwest cities are usually not that nice, but Midwestern small towns are great places to live.

Old 01-30-2014, 07:32 PM

2,221 posts, read 4,402,446 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by afonega1 View Post
I'd say slowed more than ended.The housing market in Atlanta is hot again the rest of the economy will follow as well as population.
Yep, Charlotte is still one of fastest growing but not at previous levels but 30k per year are calling Charlotte home each year and I don't see it stopping, great place to live and sure don't miss the snow belt

Old 01-30-2014, 07:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZnGuy View Post
Yep, Charlotte is still one of fastest growing but not at previous levels but 30k per year are calling Charlotte home each year and I don't see it stopping, great place to live and sure don't miss the snow belt
I tried living in Charlotte a year ago for a month and left. It just wasn't for me. I couldn't get used to the southern culture at all. Too much religion, country music, Confederate flags, conservatives, etc. I was like "aaaahhhhhhhhhh get me out of hereeeeeeee!"

Old 01-30-2014, 07:43 PM

5,365 posts, read 6,354,598 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drewcifer View Post
I don't think the sunbelt is going to run out of water. I think that as their infrastructure gets older their taxes are going to have to go up, and they will lose their advantage as low cost relocation centers.
So in that scenario, people could live in Wisconsin or Georgia with the same taxes. I think people are still going to pick the state with out a six month long winter.

Old 01-30-2014, 07:56 PM

I don't understand why people would want to give up beautiful mountains, hills, greenery and oceans in favor of a flat, boring, semi-dry place like Dallas or Phoenix that are totally landlocked, with endless suburbia, boulevards, and fast food restaurants that you can smell while driving around and sweating for 6 months of the year and seeing illegal aliens on a daily basis.

Old 01-30-2014, 08:02 PM

5,365 posts, read 6,354,598 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nep321 View Post
I don't understand why people would want to give up beautiful mountains, hills, greenery and oceans in favor of a flat, boring, semi-dry place like Dallas or Phoenix that are totally landlocked, with endless suburbia, boulevards, and fast food restaurants that you can smell while driving around and sweating for 6 months of the year and seeing illegal aliens on a daily basis.
I guess it is my young age and i grew up with them but illegal immigrants just don't bother me. They are mostly pretty nice in fact.

And snow for six months of the year is way way worse than having the beautiful warm sun out.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.