Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-31-2014, 07:42 PM

5,365 posts, read 6,337,762 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluefox View Post
So Houston finally may or may not overtake a city's population that is almost 1/3 the size of it in land area. I wonder how big Chicago's population would be if the city limits were 627 square miles instead of 234 square miles? Metro area to me is far more indicative of a city's prominence, and the Texas metros still have a long way to go before they can catch up to Chicagoland. If at all, I see Dallas winning out over Houston.
With Dallas and Houston both adding over a million people a decade to their metros, the possibility of chicago being passed is very very real.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-31-2014, 07:54 PM

8,975 posts, read 10,212,799 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CravingMountains View Post
With Dallas and Houston both adding over a million people a decade to their metros, the possibility of chicago being passed is very very real.
Okay, did you know that Chicagoland added over 1 million people between 1990 and 2000? And about 1/2 million between 2000 and 2010? Unlike cities, most metros do tend to grow. So it isn't likely that Chicagoland's population will stagnate the way the city itself has trended towards in the past. It's all quite speculative but it could be as much as 50-70 or more years before TX metros even come close.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chicagoland

And that is, of course, assuming TX metros have sustained growth which is not necessarily something to be presumed. The whole crux of this discussion is that massive, unmitigated growth is not something that historically has been observed in most cities long-term.

Old 01-31-2014, 08:18 PM

Quote:
Okay, did you know that Chicagoland added over 1 million people between 1990 and 2000? And about 1/2 million between 2000 and 2010? Unlike cities, most metros do tend to grow. So it isn't likely that Chicagoland's population will stagnate the way the city itself has trended towards in the past. It's all quite speculative but it could be as much as 50-70 or more years before TX metros even come close.

Chicago metropolitan area - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

And that is, of course, assuming TX metros have sustained growth which is not necessarily something to be presumed. The whole crux of this discussion is that massive, unmitigated growth is not something that historically has been observed in most cities long-term.
Chicago continues to slow down more and more with each passing decade though. Where as Dallas and Houston are just gaining more and more steam. I think we will see Chicago passed up in 20 to 30 years.

Old 01-31-2014, 08:30 PM

Quote:
Chicago continues to slow down more and more with each passing decade though. Where as Dallas and Houston are just gaining more and more steam. I think we will see Chicago passed up in 20 to 30 years.
Are you talking about city proper or metro? If city I could see Houston with city limits more than half the size of Rhode Island passing up Chicago, but definitely not Dallas. Metro areas, no way in heck will either pass up Chicago in the next 20-30 years barring some apocalyptic event in the Chicago area.

Old 01-31-2014, 09:29 PM

Quote:
Are you talking about city proper or metro? If city I could see Houston with city limits more than half the size of Rhode Island passing up Chicago, but definitely not Dallas. Metro areas, no way in heck will either pass up Chicago in the next 20-30 years barring some apocalyptic event in the Chicago area.
Metro is slowing. Chicago metro only grew by something like 4% last decade. It isn't looking like this decade will be any different for it.

Old 01-31-2014, 09:45 PM

Quote:
Metro is slowing. Chicago metro only grew by something like 4% last decade. It isn't looking like this decade will be any different for it.
Yeah but Chicagoland is approaching 10 million people while both Houston and Dallas are solidly in the 6 million ranges with Dallas having about 300k more people in its metro than Houston. Despite Houston proper having 2x the population of Dallas.

Anyway, 4% growth for the Chicago metro is right around 400,000 people which is a lot of people even if the % is not that big. Really the only scenario I can think of where Dallas or Houston metro could pass up Chicagoland within even 30 years is if Chicagoland growth slowed to a complete stop AND Dallas and Houston continued to experience million plus growth numbers for the next three decades. I just don't really see the likelihood of both conditions occurring. When and if it does happen, which I think will be in far more than 30 years, I would definitely put my money on Dallas over Houston.

Old 01-31-2014, 10:15 PM

11,669 posts, read 17,949,724 times
Quote:
I've lived in Florida and Atlanta. I don't know anyone who indulges in those activities you mention (I don't care for the southern accent either).

Our jobs pay less, but the cost of living is way cheaper. Even the ghetto cities of the north like Chicago and Philadelphia are expensive to live in. Jobs better be paying you guys more fr the rates I've seen. And I am gay and had a thriving life in Florida. Just got here to Atlanta last month but things are going good so far!

The truth is that the South offers everything the north does, and it does so with lower cost, lower taxes, newer infrastructure, and better weather.
The cost of living is less down south, but the jobs pay MUCH less. So much less, that it exceeds the discounted cost of housing. You need to realize that housing only accounts for about half of the typical person's monthly expenses, while all other expenses are approximately the same (with minor differences). Also, lower state taxes means that you can't deduct as much on your federal return, so you have to pay higher federal taxes, unless you're in a lower tax bracket. Cash is KING. That's why so many people struggle financially in the southern states and the poverty rates are higher.

The weather is subjective. I would kill myself if I lived in FL. One season all year round is super boring. And the flat terrain makes it impossible to do things I like to do, such as hiking.

But yeah, the southern accents and culture is an instant deal breaker for me. I don't know why gays would choose to live in conservative, religious states that don't believe in gay marriage and allow businesses to discriminate against gay employees. It's beyond me.

Old 02-01-2014, 01:25 AM

Quote:
Yeah but Chicagoland is approaching 10 million people while both Houston and Dallas are solidly in the 6 million ranges with Dallas having about 300k more people in its metro than Houston. Despite Houston proper having 2x the population of Dallas.

Anyway, 4% growth for the Chicago metro is right around 400,000 people which is a lot of people even if the % is not that big. Really the only scenario I can think of where Dallas or Houston metro could pass up Chicagoland within even 30 years is if Chicagoland growth slowed to a complete stop AND Dallas and Houston continued to experience million plus growth numbers for the next three decades. I just don't really see the likelihood of both conditions occurring. When and if it does happen, which I think will be in far more than 30 years, I would definitely put my money on Dallas over Houston.
It will happen. Chicago is the absolute most miserable city in America. We will both see the day that even metro growth vanishes from that part of the country. I can't wait for it to happen either because it is pathetic that such a miserable city is the third largest in America.

Old 02-01-2014, 01:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nep321 View Post
The cost of living is less down south, but the jobs pay MUCH less. So much less, that it exceeds the discounted cost of housing. You need to realize that housing only accounts for about half of the typical person's monthly expenses, while all other expenses are approximately the same (with minor differences). Also, lower state taxes means that you can't deduct as much on your federal return, so you have to pay higher federal taxes, unless you're in a lower tax bracket. Cash is KING. That's why so many people struggle financially in the southern states and the poverty rates are higher.

The weather is subjective. I would kill myself if I lived in FL. One season all year round is super boring. And the flat terrain makes it impossible to do things I like to do, such as hiking.

But yeah, the southern accents and culture is an instant deal breaker for me. I don't know why gays would choose to live in conservative, religious states that don't believe in gay marriage and allow businesses to discriminate against gay employees. It's beyond me.

Because it is warm and we have pools!

And because it is a very pleasant life. Gay marriage will come to Georgia soon enough. It will come to all states. With liberal northerners and immigrants moving in only progression can follow.

This gay guy HATES BEING COLD! Warm weather for me all the way. And for the rest of America as well as that is what they prefer.

I don't know why all northerners just don't move down here too. Its as if there is a huge segment of northern society that is in denial about what is happening. No one wants to live in the great lakes regions. The northeast isn't so bad but the midwest is just pure misery. They should all just move south and have happier sunny lives.

Old 02-01-2014, 07:24 AM

4,675 posts, read 7,405,419 times
Quote:
It will happen. Chicago is the absolute most miserable city in America. We will both see the day that even metro growth vanishes from that part of the country. I can't wait for it to happen either because it is pathetic that such a miserable city is the third largest in America.
Wow...what a great American who champions for the demise of a region and city in this country...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.