Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-10-2014, 12:25 PM

93,387 posts, read 124,009,048 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by superleggera View Post
If you know how to read the list above then you will notice most of the Vietnamese populations are located in a Warmer climate. I think that's why OP mentioned Houston as the first choice himself. I don't see St. Paul in the list above. Perhaps it is your perception not the reality!��
Actually, it is a Chinese-Vietnamese family and if you read the article, there is an established and growing community in the Twin Cities.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-10-2014, 12:27 PM

270 posts, read 468,413 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
Actually, it is a Chinese-Vietnamese family and if you read the article, there is an established and growing community in the Twin Cities.
They also mentioned Indian but my list is Vietnamese specific. I guess you can't tell the difference between Pho and Curry!

Old 02-10-2014, 12:31 PM

5,888 posts, read 13,010,710 times
I know a lot of Vietnamese and Taiwanese (Chinese) that absolutely love Houston and the gulf coast.

Old 02-10-2014, 12:31 PM

12,498 posts, read 26,998,067 times
Quote:
Actually, St Paul has a big SE Asian population and it extends into the suburbs. Same with other Asian ethnic groups. Weather wasn't mentioned and the OP mentioned Chicago. So, weather may not be a factor.

Asians fastest-growing ethnic group in Minnesota | Twin Cities Daily Planet
Lots of Hmong & Laos up there not much else.

Old 02-10-2014, 12:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Metro Matt View Post
Lots of Hmong & Laos up there not much else.
It is a diverse Asian community, with a large Hmong presence. Hmong are just an ethnic group that lives in the mountains of SE Asian countries and in parts of China.

Also, I do know the difference between Pho and Curry. (Really)

Old 02-10-2014, 01:03 PM

12,498 posts, read 26,998,067 times
Quote:
It is a diverse Asian community, with a large Hmong presence. Hmong are just an ethnic group that lives in the mountains of SE Asian countries and in parts of China.

Also, I do know the difference between Pho and Curry. (Really)
Its not diverse. An ethnic Chinese person would not fit in up there among the mountain people of Hmong descent. There are also very few Vietnamese in that part of the country.

http://www.ssa.gov/aapi/2010census-data.pdf

Last edited by Metro Matt; 02-10-2014 at 01:18 PM..

Old 02-10-2014, 01:12 PM

18,982 posts, read 32,663,382 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by citylove101 View Post
OP has not said what he considers "affordable", nor what his income or housing budget is, nor what line of work he or his wife are in, nor whether they are looking to buy or rent. So we are all working w/o full knowledge of his situation. But to say "aywhere in NYC is an awful suggestion" just shows your ignorance, which I fear is commonplace among many on these boards with little first hand knowledge of a city of 8 million with hundreds of different neighborhoods.

Here is a quick pull of condos for sale in Queens, all 3 bedroom/2 baths, most in nice areas, and all less than $300,000. That is certainly far more affordable than much of California, epecially the coastal big city areas. So please reserve your posts for something you actually have knowledge of.

2-Bedroom Flushing, NY Homes for Sale - realtor.com®
You can find plenty of areas where you can get homes from $300K or less in all of the major coastal areas of CA too, both condo's and single family homes. And that $300K is more than pretty ALL of inland CA where MILLIONS of people live. So maybe you should follow your own advice about ignorance and first hand knowledge of places too.

Yes the OP has not really given much info on income or price range which makes suggesting NYC even more ridiculous since on average it's just as and in many cases more expensive than CA's major metropolitan areas.

Old 02-10-2014, 01:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Metro Matt View Post
Its not diverse. An ethnic Chinese person would not fit in up there among the mountain people of Hmong descent. There are also very few Vietnamese in that part of the country.

http://www.ssa.gov/aapi/2010census-data.pdf
Actually, it is, but one group is just larger. Keep in mind that the Minneapolis-St. Paul metro isn't as big as Houston or Dallas and Asians are the fastest growing racial group in the state of Minnesota. You can still suggest the area and view the article.

Also, that other poster is essentially a stalker. Just check their posts.

Old 02-10-2014, 02:05 PM

370 posts, read 863,173 times
I would also second Houston, if you can take the weather.

Lots of Chinese and Vietnamese..

I also believe parts of VA near DC have sizeable VN populations.

Quote:
Originally Posted by f1000 View Post
You'd be pleasantly surprised with Houston. It's far more international-feeling than I ever expected, and it has a large Asian community. The Vietnamese community in particular is established, but the Chinese community is large as well. Of course, you also get more bang for your buck in TX than CA. The people in general are friendly and it is laid back in many refreshing ways.

Other areas that are worth considering are Seattle, Portland and DC suburbs, though are significantly more expensive (less than CA though). Las Vegas too, but the feeling is very similar to Southern CA if you're trying to get away from that in the 1st place.

Chicago is a great city but the Asian community is very small (some in very specific northern suburbs but the presence is noticeably small)

Forget about anywhere in FL. That's one of the least-friendly Asian states.

Old 02-10-2014, 02:59 PM

5,521 posts, read 8,773,454 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sav858 View Post
You can find plenty of areas where you can get homes from $300K or less in all of the major coastal areas of CA too, both condo's and single family homes. And that $300K is more than pretty ALL of inland CA where MILLIONS of people live. So maybe you should follow your own advice about ignorance and first hand knowledge of places too.

Yes the OP has not really given much info on income or price range which makes suggesting NYC even more ridiculous since on average it's just as and in many cases more expensive than CA's major metropolitan areas.

The purpose of C-D relocation forums is to open people up to places they may never have considered before, especially when it meets the criteria laid out -- in this case a fair degree Asian ethnic diversity. Queens is one of those places should think about but often don't because they think all housing in New York City is exhorbitant and unaffordable, when it's not. That's all I was saying. This should not be a hard concept to grasp unless you are either denying reality or have a bug up you butt about New York City. I suspsect -- because of your horror that I think the OP should actually consider living in NYC-- --that for you it's a little bit of both.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.