Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-21-2017, 11:02 AM

12,845 posts, read 9,578,282 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigstick View Post
Ya know its 2014, you can live wherever you want, and forget about what the 'F' other people think, JESUUUUUSSSS..

Their are "unaccepting" people in every corner of the Earth, get over it and live your life as you choose.
Why not live in a place where you have a better chance of being harrassed?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-26-2017, 09:07 AM

2,916 posts, read 3,002,186 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by green_mariner View Post
One thing I have thought about in terms of interracial couples is this: It depends on what kind of interracial couple you are a part of. In the Atlanta area, I don't hear many horror stories about Middle Eastern/Anglo couples catching crap. Now, one is more likely to catch crap for being Muslim. I don't hear many horror stories regarding White male/Asian female couples or White male/Hispanic female couples. In fact, most of the Hispanic women that I personally know are married to White males. At least where I live anyway.

Now, from what I've noticed, Black male/non-Black female couples will catch more crap than anyone else. This is especially the case if it's Black male/White female couples. You'll find such couples because they are common place. However, it does not come without its struggles.

Consider this. Two members of the 2016 World Champion Chicago Cubs, Dexter Fowler and Jason Heyward appeared in an instagram photo with two White females. Dexter Fowler's wife, Jason Heyward's girlfriend. Both men received so much backlash for it, being two Black men with White women. And the comments weren't only from some White males with bigoted mentalities towards Blacks. There were Black women who were accusing both men of "self hate", and basically calling them sell-outs. It is rare to hear those kinds of comments to be said of Black females with White males. Look at the show Scandal. Look at the Swiffer commercial that had a Black wife with her White husband. No horrible reaction. White female with Black male in the Cheerios commercial(and a mixed child), and so many people lose their minds.

I will be blunt. Growing up, my opinion has been this. Upper Midwest(particularly Minnesota/Iowa) and Western USA posed the best places for interracial dating. And granted, the cities touted as the best places for interracial dating are: Denver, Seattle, Minneapolis, San Jose, San Francisco,etc. Some places will be better than others by comparison. It also depends on what kind of couple. Some couples encounter more problems than others.
Good points. There's a definite difference between IR relationships involving white men/women of color versus non-white men/white women.

White men will catch SOME flack for dating black women, but it's much less rare with Asian women and probably non-existent with Latina women. I've never encountered any subtle or obvious racism with my GF (I'm black, she's white). My best guess is that onlookers view us as "equals" though I'd say she's objectively more attractive than I am, with her curvy physique. If I was '6-2" and looked like Morris Chestnut, she'd get way more hate as people would think she's stealing one of the 'good ones.' With me, it's more like "awwww y'all or so cute."

Old 06-26-2017, 11:22 AM

11,063 posts, read 12,460,703 times
Nobody cares if you are interracial.

Old 06-26-2017, 02:10 PM

4,108 posts, read 10,806,863 times
Within California, we have Sacramento, Chico, Redlands, and Eureka, which are all affordable by California standards.

Outside the state, I think any major Texas city, Phoenix, Louisville, Nashville, Washington (DC), Columbus (OH), or Minneapolis/St. Paul. I'd still suggest Atlanta, too.

In fact, as Louisville and Nashville go, those two places might be the most laissez-faire places in the South as far as race relations go. Texas is its own animal, but I'd be incredibly shocked if you encountered any intolerance toward your relationship in Houston, Dallas, Ft. Worth, Austin, San Antonio... Now, as you leave Louisville and go out into rural Kentucky, or leave Nashville and go out into rural Tennessee, or leave Atlanta for rural Georgia, or leave Houston for rural east Texas, you'll find that attitudes about bi-racial relationships still vary greatly. These variations are largely generational, but can also still have correlation with levels of education. Just being honest.

For what it's worth, I'm a rural Southerner now living in California. While there is still an covert tone of racism in the South as compared to California, I never witnessed any overt racism in my 25 years living in the South, between black and white, or white and Asian, or black and Hispanic, or what have you. While California is generally more tolerant of interracial relationships, and even of immigrants, the most demonstrably racist (Asian toward white, in this case) and sexist (female toward male, in this case) individuals I've ever encountered and witnessed have been in San Francisco. In fact, I'd rank San Francisco to be among the least welcoming cities in the world for men, and especially white men, including those who date interracially. Our experiences mold our perceptions.

Old 06-27-2017, 08:43 AM

2,427 posts, read 2,479,383 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
In terms of rural, small towns it may depend on if the town is a college town or perhaps other dynamics. I can think of multiple small cities not too far from me where seeing interracial couples isn't unusual. I think the history of those places play a part in that.

With the South, it may be a matter of chance in relation to its demographics, as well as having a pretty strong military presence in much of the region.
I totally Agree with this, Prime Example, Warner Robins, GA which is a Suburb/Satellite City of Macon, GA. with a population of around 75,000 people and sits right next to Robins Air force Base. Very diverse City with tons of Interracial Couples every where, especially Blacks and Whites. Warner Robins has a large Hispanic population as well so have saw plenty interracial in that department as well and these relationships are the norm in this area. To be honest it's more diverse than it Larger Counter part right next door in the next county which is Majority Black so yes I have to agree, dynamics and Military bases also play a major role in this.

Old 06-27-2017, 11:08 AM

12,845 posts, read 9,578,282 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MathiasRed View Post
Thank you everyone for answering my question and taking the time to share your experiences.

In Atlanta and Raleigh I did see interracial couples but it was mainly White men with Asian women and occasionally Black men with White women. Here in California I see Latino and Asian men date White women regularly, no one makes a big deal about it because a Latino with a White female is so common here. A lot of those Latinos share some traits that I have (skin color, hair color, and eye color).

Maybe that is why we were met with unwelcome attitudes there or we just happened to run into a lot of the wrong people. I am sure most people in those states do not hold those attitudes and we did meet some good people but it is just that some of the discomfort we encountered is something we don't run into in California.

If everything else is good and cost of living is reasonable we could see ourselves moving to either Atlanta or Raleigh but Oklahoma seemed to be a bit too much.
This is the opposite of what I've read in a few other threads. California and New York white women don't like Asians but southern white women will date Asians.

Old 06-29-2017, 07:58 PM

14,683 posts, read 14,656,423 times
Oh geez...
The vast majority of people in this country who date interracially do it for personal reasons and don't give a flip what others think about them, including their "own group".

Old 06-29-2017, 08:42 PM

2,117 posts, read 1,740,857 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bjimmy24 View Post
Nobody cares if you are interracial.
Unfortunately this is not true for a lot of places/people in the US. Hopefully one day we will get there though
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.