Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: I (not family, friends, others) have personally be affected by tornados in my life...
0 times 39 60.94%
1 time 10 15.63%
2 times 10 15.63%
3 times 5 7.81%
4 times 3 4.69%
5 times 1 1.56%
6 times 2 3.13%
10 times 1 1.56%
15 times 1 1.56%
more 1 1.56%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 64. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-01-2014, 02:58 PM

28,895 posts, read 54,212,245 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toxic Toast View Post
The first sentence is extremely misleading and scientifically false. If 4 or 5 tornadoes churned through a specific area, it is a coincidence and not because one corridor somehow attracts tornadoes. Today, Cordova would be at no greater risk than a neighboring town.
Sorry. Do yourself a kindness and go to Tornadohistoryproject.com and start running the database. In any given state there are regions that see a much higher incidence of tornados, sometimes with very intense concentrations within very small areas. Also, there are some parts where very strong tornados are much more likely to occur, such as the aforementioned corridor. The assertion that one place has no higher statistical chance of getting hit by a tornado over a broad stretch of time just doesn't hold up. Cities such as Moore, Oklahoma, or Huntsville, Alabama, are just a few that would likely disagree with you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-01-2014, 08:36 PM

8,987 posts, read 17,321,561 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpg35223 View Post
Sorry. Do yourself a kindness and go to Tornadohistoryproject.com and start running the database. In any given state there are regions that see a much higher incidence of tornados, sometimes with very intense concentrations within very small areas. Also, there are some parts where very strong tornados are much more likely to occur, such as the aforementioned corridor. The assertion that one place has no higher statistical chance of getting hit by a tornado over a broad stretch of time just doesn't hold up. Cities such as Moore, Oklahoma, or Huntsville, Alabama, are just a few that would likely disagree with you.
If you can find certified and real meteorologist who thinks Moore OK is more likely to be hit by an EF5 tornado than Norman OK or Oklahoma City in the future; I'll give you credence. Otherwise, charting what happened in the past proves nothing about the future in this regard. Moore is no more likely than neighboring cities to be hit. It is a coincidence they were hit twice in the last 15 years (as opposed to downtown OKC), there is nothing in the atmosphere above Moore than makes it more of a target than neighboring cities in the OKC metro.

Now, if you want to change the subject to say something like Oklahoma City is more likely than Seattle, that would be true.

Old 04-03-2014, 06:35 AM

28,895 posts, read 54,212,245 times
Quote:
If you can find certified and real meteorologist who thinks Moore OK is more likely to be hit by an EF5 tornado than Norman OK or Oklahoma City in the future; I'll give you credence. Otherwise, charting what happened in the past proves nothing about the future in this regard. Moore is no more likely than neighboring cities to be hit. It is a coincidence they were hit twice in the last 15 years (as opposed to downtown OKC), there is nothing in the atmosphere above Moore than makes it more of a target than neighboring cities in the OKC metro.

Now, if you want to change the subject to say something like Oklahoma City is more likely than Seattle, that would be true.
Wow. I don't have to be a meteorologist. I can just look at a freaking map created by meteorologists:

Birmingham, Huntsville part of nation's highest-risk tornado corridor, study by UAH researcher finds (photos) | al.com

USATODAY.com

http://www.spc.noaa.gov/wcm/2013/ANY.png

Old 04-03-2014, 07:54 AM

16,572 posts, read 10,676,390 times
I've seen two tornadoes in my life, both of them in South Florida. Actually watched as the clouds swirled and the funnels appeared. Amazing sight, really. Fortunately, neither of them touched down and thus did no damage.

I also experienced the derecho that came through Maryland in June 2012. I was driving home when it hit, and I was really quite scared that I was going to be blown off the road, or that a tree would come down on my car. (I made it home without incident, except for being shook up.)

Though I didn't see it first hand, I was in La Plata, MD a couple of days after it was hit by an F-4 tornado in April 2002, and saw the devastation it caused.

Old 04-03-2014, 08:44 AM

Quote:
This does not in any way address or refute anything I said.

For clarification, you stated specific neighborhoods within a corridor were more likely to be hit by a tornado. I said, no, that is not true. You came back with, well, tornado alley and Moore OK. I said, ok, prove that Moore OK is more likely to be hit by a tornado in the future than Norman or OKC. You came back again with "well, tornado alley."

If you can find a scientific source that states Moore is more likely to be hit by an EF5 tornado than central OKC or Norman in the future............please do. Once again, I'm all ears.

Last edited by Toxic Toast; 04-03-2014 at 08:57 AM..

Old 04-03-2014, 08:52 AM
NCN

21,663 posts, read 25,658,782 times
We get really bad thunder storms on the NC/SC border. Had to replace roof on house once because of tornado damage.

We were in a bad group of storms when traveling through Knoxville a couple of years back. Hail put dents in the roof of our car. We were safe inside a motel on the first floor.

We passed by where a tornado had just hit near Shamrock, Texas, one night. My husband saw a truck that looked like it had tried to climb a tree at a rest stop there.

Since we live in the South and not West I didn't vote on your poll.

Old 04-03-2014, 10:51 AM

1,312 posts, read 2,172,897 times
Quote:
Huh, maybe the title of this thread needs to be changed to "Southern Tornados." Nah, that's ridiculous, too. It's funny how actual data can immediately refute stereotypes, though people will of course continue to argue...

Old 04-03-2014, 11:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CowsAndBeer View Post
Huh, maybe the title of this thread needs to be changed to "Southern Tornados." Nah, that's ridiculous, too. It's funny how actual data can immediately refute stereotypes, though people will of course continue to argue...
No one is disputing whether or not tornadoes happen in the south.

Old 04-05-2014, 02:39 PM

23,766 posts, read 29,108,340 times
Quote:
The first sentence is extremely misleading and scientifically false. If 4 or 5 tornadoes churned through a specific area, it is a coincidence and not because one corridor somehow attracts tornadoes. Today, Cordova would be at no greater risk than a neighboring town.
could be karma

Old 04-05-2014, 03:33 PM

1,073 posts, read 2,197,648 times
Lived in Eastern Nebraska for 35 years. Haven't yet seen a tornado despite going through 'tornado warnings'
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.