Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Select the statement that best describes your perspective
I have lived in both the Northeast and Florida and prefer the Northeast 9 15.25%
I have lived in both the Northeast and Florida and prefer Florida 12 20.34%
I have not lived in both, but would prefer to live in the Northeast 28 47.46%
I have not lived in both, but would prefer to live in Florida 10 16.95%
Voters: 59. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-09-2014, 12:29 PM

14,256 posts, read 26,951,348 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trigger-f View Post
Cheaper housing can be found in some other states too.

Many people are simply not prepared to live down here. It is what it is. Up north you have freezing temps wintertime, down here we have the humidity. That's how mother earth works.

FL is a water-sports paradise. If you don't enjoy the outdoors the way they are, this place is not a good fit.
Yeah. Winter up there is a little too long for my liking. It's long enough, in states like NC, GA, and VA. Up there, temps in the 40's and below can go from October to April. I don't see how that's any better than 7 months of heat in Florida.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-09-2014, 12:32 PM

14,256 posts, read 26,951,348 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nep321 View Post
CA isn't even an option for me. It's simply too expensive and doesn't quite get warm enough for me. Plus, that state is going downhill fast, for a variety of reasons. It's also losing about 125,000 white people per year.
Florida isn't getting any whiter either. You best stay in the WASPy Northeast. Parts of Florida just aren't a White man's haven. No way. NOPE!!

Old 04-09-2014, 12:37 PM

1,640 posts, read 2,657,106 times
Quote:
CA isn't even an option for me. It's simply too expensive and doesn't quite get warm enough for me. Plus, that state is going downhill fast, for a variety of reasons. It's also losing about 125,000 white people per year.
You're a well-educated, upwardly mobile professional in your late 20's/early 30's, so Florida shouldn't even be on your radar, regardless of what you think of other states such as California, Colorado, Texas, etc.

I should have you know that many, many young professionals from Florida move to California, Georgia, North Carolina, New York, and Texas among other places for professional opportunities in their 20's and 30's because Florida is not a good place to launch or grow a corporate career for a multitude of reasons.

Given the sheer size of Florida's population, it has a very small corporate presence. Compared to California in particular, Florida's economy is much weaker, and it's far less diversified. Hell, even San Diego, which is generally regarded as the toughest economy of the major California metro areas, has a stronger economy than most of Florida, especially for educated professionals. California among other states (e.g., Georgia, Illinois, New York, Texas, et al.) simply has a larger corporate presence than Florida--more corporate HQ's, regional offices, office parks, industrial centers, etc. as well as more and better higher educational offerings. In turn, California has a much stronger entrepreneurial spirit, more competitive ethos, and more professional/innovative/progressive vibe in general than Florida.

Even though California has a higher COL than Florida overall, wages and salaries are much more proportional to COL. I’ve met professionals that have relocated to California from Florida for this reason alone! Since professionals are generally better educated and compensated in California, they tend to be happier and more content with their careers and life in general. For example, over half (~51-53%) of domestic migrants to California have at least a bachelor's degree or higher compared to only about a quarter (~23-27%) of domestic migrants to Florida--speaks volumes, IMO. It's very apparent as well.

Also, California offers many more rights and protections to LGBT folks than Florida, which offers essentially none. California makes Florida seem like it's stuck in the Stone Age. I would imagine that this would be a present concern of yours, seeing as how you're gay, and--for a lack of a better term--the deal-breaker. I know it would be for me.

Overall, there's very limited opportunity in Florida for professional growth, especially from a corporate standpoint, so it's very foolish of you to dismiss California and opt for Florida, especially given your age and circumstances (i.e., career, sexuality, etc.).

Old 04-09-2014, 01:21 PM

11,669 posts, read 17,953,214 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 8to32characters View Post
You're a well-educated, upwardly mobile professional in your late 20's/early 30's, so Florida shouldn't even be on your radar, regardless of what you think of other states such as California, Colorado, Texas, etc.

I should have you know that many, many young professionals from Florida move to California, Georgia, North Carolina, New York, and Texas among other places for professional opportunities in their 20's and 30's because Florida is not a good place to launch or grow a corporate career for a multitude of reasons.

Given the sheer size of Florida's population, it has a very small corporate presence. Compared to California in particular, Florida's economy is much weaker, and it's far less diversified. Hell, even San Diego, which is generally regarded as the toughest economy of the major California metro areas, has a stronger economy than most of Florida, especially for educated professionals. California among other states (e.g., Georgia, Illinois, New York, Texas, et al.) simply has a larger corporate presence than Florida--more corporate HQ's, regional offices, office parks, industrial centers, etc. as well as more and better higher educational offerings. In turn, California has a much stronger entrepreneurial spirit, more competitive ethos, and more professional/innovative/progressive vibe in general than Florida.

Even though California has a higher COL than Florida overall, wages and salaries are much more proportional to COL. I’ve met professionals that have relocated to California from Florida for this reason alone! Since professionals are generally better educated and compensated in California, they tend to be happier and more content with their careers and life in general. For example, over half (~51-53%) of domestic migrants to California have at least a bachelor's degree or higher compared to only about a quarter (~23-27%) of domestic migrants to Florida--speaks volumes, IMO. It's very apparent as well.

Also, California offers many more rights and protections to LGBT folks than Florida, which offers essentially none. California makes Florida seem like it's stuck in the Stone Age. I would imagine that this would be a present concern of yours, seeing as how you're gay, and--for a lack of a better term--the deal-breaker. I know it would be for me.

Overall, there's very limited opportunity in Florida for professional growth, especially from a corporate standpoint, so it's very foolish of you to dismiss California and opt for Florida, especially given your age and circumstances (i.e., career, sexuality, etc.).
None of those things would make me want to choose CA over FL. It's just too damn expensive, period. Even if the jobs pay significantly higher, it's not worth it to me. Home ownership is not really attainable for the average person in CA. San Francisco is very stressful, fast paced and royally expensive beyond belief, and the climate is too cold for me. LA is ridiculously expensive, and so is San Diego. I could probably afford Sacramento or Riverside, however. But Riverside practically doesn't even feel like America anymore. Overall, I just don't see the appeal of CA for me. Plus, I'm not looking to advance that much in my career. I'm comfortable with making a decent income forever, and it doesn't have to be super high. I don't care about holding a management position, etc.

Also, the superficiality and attitudes of CA people is a turn off.

Old 04-09-2014, 01:26 PM

1,207 posts, read 1,282,579 times
I've spent time in both areas and I prefer Florida without a doubt. Didn't really like the weather in the NE. It gets just as humid and sticky in the summer, but the winters are a whole lot worst. I'd rather sweat than freeze.

Old 04-09-2014, 01:49 PM

1,748 posts, read 2,176,629 times
Think who they elected for governor( I be back..); that should give you an idea CA is not what it used to be in the 80's/early 90's. I agree on the COL assessment (after salaries are adjusted for COL), San Diego, LA, Riverside, even San Francisco appear to be way down on annual wages). People don't seem to benefit from jobs paying more. Only exception is San Jose but look at the difference after the COL is calculated.

The Cities Where A Paycheck Stretches The Furthest | Newgeography.com

Either way most cities are between $50K-$60K, so they are largely on the same boat.

Old 04-09-2014, 02:07 PM

Quote:
None of those things would make me want to choose CA over FL. It's just too damn expensive, period. Even if the jobs pay significantly higher, it's not worth it to me. Home ownership is not really attainable for the average person in CA. San Francisco is very stressful, fast paced and royally expensive beyond belief, and the climate is too cold for me. LA is ridiculously expensive, and so is San Diego. I could probably afford Sacramento or Riverside, however. But Riverside practically doesn't even feel like America anymore. Overall, I just don't see the appeal of CA for me. Plus, I'm not looking to advance that much in my career. I'm comfortable with making a decent income forever, and it doesn't have to be super high. I don't care about holding a management position, etc.
I can almost guarantee you that you will not secure a position in Florida before you move there, even if you explain to recruiters/hiring managers that you're willing and able to come down to interview on very short notice for a particular position, mostly because Florida is so incredibly transient that employers rarely--if ever--hire out-of-state candidates to fill open positions, regardless of their credentials. Too many people say they're going to move to Florida and than back out at the last minute or, even worse, move down and leave after only a few months, sometimes weeks. I worked in HR in Florida for years and experienced this firsthand many, many times.

Most of inland L.A., Orange County, and San Diego as well as the East Bay Area have the propensity to get quite warm in the summertime, especially from August to October.

FAIAP, I wouldn't describe L.A. and San Diego as "ridiculously expensive," especially since you're from Connecticut and, at one point, lived in New York City--two places that are "ridiculously expensive" given how old and frigid they are.

Quote:
Also, the superficiality and attitudes of CA people is a turn off.
I think you really need to stop watching Bravo and get out of the house more often.

FWIW, there are way more superficial people living in Florida than there are in California, mostly due to the fact that lots of people in Florida move there for a more materially rich life, especially from the Northeast, hence more people in Florida tend to exemplify the "nouveau riche" stereotype. You get some of that in California, but it's more or less the real deal. Lots more blue-collar wealth in Florida, too, so most wealthy people (e.g., real estate developers, real estate brokerage owners, travel agency owners, construction company owners, etc.) and their gold-digger wives tend to be a lot dumber and way less intellectual, although pride themselves on being "tough," "shrewd," "street smart," etc.

People in California are much friendlier, easier-going, and more approachable than people in Florida--that goes without saying. Also, California is much less transient overall than Florida. Needless to say, it's much easier to meet people and build long-lasting friendships in California compared to Florida. I made more and better friends in California in 4 years than I did in 12 years in Florida. Again, speaks volumes, IMO.

Old 04-09-2014, 02:21 PM

11,669 posts, read 17,953,214 times
Quote:
I can almost guarantee you that you will not secure a position in Florida before you move there, even if you explain to recruiters/hiring managers that you're willing and able to come down to interview on very short notice for a particular position, mostly because Florida is so incredibly transient that employers rarely--if ever--hire out-of-state candidates to fill open positions, regardless of their credentials. Too many people say they're going to move to Florida and than back out at the last minute or, even worse, move down and leave after only a few months, sometimes weeks. I worked in HR in Florida for years and experienced this firsthand many, many times.

Most of inland L.A., Orange County, and San Diego as well as the East Bay Area have the propensity to get quite warm in the summertime, especially from August to October.

FAIAP, I wouldn't describe L.A. and San Diego as "ridiculously expensive," especially since you're from Connecticut and, at one point, lived in New York City--two places that are "ridiculously expensive" given how old and frigid they are.

I think you really need to stop watching Bravo and get out of the house more often.

FWIW, there are way more superficial people living in Florida than there are in California, mostly due to the fact that lots of people in Florida move there for a more materially rich life, especially from the Northeast, hence more people in Florida tend to exemplify the "nouveau riche" stereotype. You get some of that in California, but it's more or less the real deal. Lots more blue-collar wealth in Florida, too, so most wealthy people (e.g., real estate developers, real estate brokerage owners, travel agency owners, construction company owners, etc.) and their gold-digger wives tend to be a lot dumber and way less intellectual, although pride themselves on being "tough," "shrewd," "street smart," etc.

People in California are much friendlier, easier-going, and more approachable than people in Florida--that goes without saying. Also, California is much less transient overall than Florida. Needless to say, it's much easier to meet people and build long-lasting friendships in California compared to Florida. I made more and better friends in California in 4 years than I did in 12 years in Florida. Again, speaks volumes, IMO.
Like I said, I would consider CA if it was affordable. I have considered Sacramento, actually. Right now I live in Fairfield County, CT, which is atrociously expensive and the jobs pay very well. But not enough to afford decent housing. I can get by fine with renting, somewhat. But home ownership for a single person under the age of 35 is VERY difficult to achieve. Unnecessarily difficult. Now, in CA, the situation is worse. Jobs there pay LESS, but housing costs even MORE. If I'm unhappy with that aspect of living in southwestern CT, why on earth would I be happy with the income/cost situation in CA?

Also, I've realized that most people try to convince people to move to their state/area. My friends in FL convince me to move to FL. My friends in Texas convince me to move to TX. Now, here you are living in CA, convincing me to move to CA! Lol.

Old 04-09-2014, 02:25 PM

Quote:
Like I said, I would consider CA if it was affordable. I have considered Sacramento, actually. Right now I live in Fairfield County, CT, which is atrociously expensive and the jobs pay very well. But not enough to afford decent housing. I can get by fine with renting, somewhat. But home ownership for a single person under the age of 35 is VERY difficult to achieve. Unnecessarily difficult. Now, in CA, the situation is worse. Jobs there pay LESS, but housing costs even MORE. If I'm unhappy with that aspect of living in southwestern CT, why on earth would I be happy with the income/cost situation in CA?

Also, I've realized that most people try to convince people to move to their state/area. My friends in FL convince me to move to FL. My friends in Texas convince me to move to TX. Now, here you are living in CA, convincing me to move to CA! Lol.
First of all, I'm not your friend.

Second of all, I live in Arizona.

Old 04-09-2014, 02:49 PM

1,748 posts, read 2,176,629 times
Quote:

I agree on what you wrote in the first paragraph but in my experience other states tend to not hire out of state candidates too.

Fyi, LA/Hollywood is the most superficial environment in the country (fake faces, bodies, attitudes in line with TV reality shows etc.. etc.. (no need for many examples, just look who was the governor for years). FL is not perfect but CA takes the cake on that. Not sure about the friendlier stereotype either (for ex. LA is more transient than anything in FL), it's the nature of the city. Whether you made more friends in CA than FL that's completely subjective. Someone else might state the opposite. This is a melting pot of a country. FL and CA are microcosms of that, not that different.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.