Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-16-2014, 03:21 PM

18,982 posts, read 32,663,382 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Metro Matt View Post
Pick your poison. The difference is Texas' top 3 natural disasters are predictable long before they happen giving people time to prepare for the worst, California's are not.

Texas natural disasters in order:

1. Flooding
2. Tornadoes
3. Hurricanes
4. Droughts
5. Forest fires

California natural disasters in order:

1. Earthquakes
2. Droughts
3. Wild fires
4. Mudslides/floods
5. Typhoons
1) Where did you get this list or did you just make it up?

2) "Typhoons"? LOL. Since when was Ca located in the northwestern Pacific region of the world and when did "typhoons" become a problem in the state?

Yes pick your poison, apparently you prefer the deadlier poison though LOL:

Which Types of Disasters Are the Deadliest in the U.S.? The Answer Is Surprising

http://www.newscientist.com/articlei...-revealed.html
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-16-2014, 03:37 PM

13,709 posts, read 21,929,063 times
"Typhoons" ... ROTFL!

Old 04-16-2014, 03:56 PM

12,498 posts, read 26,998,067 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sav858 View Post
1) Where did you get this list or did you just make it up?

2) "Typhoons"? LOL. Since when was Ca located in the northwestern Pacific region of the world and when did "typhoons" become a problem in the state?

Yes pick your poison, apparently you prefer the deadlier poison though LOL:

Which Types of Disasters Are the Deadliest in the U.S.? The Answer Is Surprising

Death map USA: Natural disaster hotspots revealed - image 3 - environment - 17 December 2008 - New Scientist
Oh my bad...they call them Hurricanes too. Typhoon is a hurricane in the Pacific.

How do you think it ever rains in California?

List of California hurricanes - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

As rarely as it occurs, its about the same chances of Texas getting hit by an earthquake which is why y'all are in a 100 year drought. LOL

Historical paths of hurricanes hitting Baja California, Southern California, & Northern Mexico:

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedi...ane_tracks.png

I can count 2 or 3 that hit just east of San Diego.

Last edited by JMT; 04-18-2014 at 06:41 AM..

Old 04-16-2014, 04:05 PM

18,982 posts, read 32,663,382 times
Quote:
Oh my bad...they call them Hurricanes too. Typhoon is a hurricane in the Pacific.

Are you fkn serious? LOL.

1) CA's rainy season is in WINTER, think about what season hurricanes in the Northern Hemisphere occur in.

2) Most of our storms come from the Gulf of Alaska and when they do come from lower latitudes closer to Hawaii (aka the "Pineapple Express") they don't come in the form of organized cyclonic tropical storms.

Climate of California - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

"Despite its long coastline, California is not vulnerable to tropical cyclones. Because of the cold California Current from the North Pacific Ocean and the fact that the storms tend to "steer" West, California has only been hit with two tropical storms in recorded history, a storm which came ashore in 1939 and dumped heavy rainfall on the Los Angeles Area and interior deserts and Tropical Storm Nora. The remnants of tropical systems will affect California more commonly, every several years."

3) a "typhoon" is a hurricane in the NORTHWESTERN Pacific, they're still called hurricanes in the eastern Pacific where they actually occur, which is well south of Ca.

Quote:
As rarely as it occurs, its about the same chances of Texas getting hit by an earthquake which is why y'all are in a 100 year drought. LOL
This statement makes absolutely no sense at all but please explain LOL.

I literally cannot wait to see what misinformation you embarrass yourself with next.

Last edited by sav858; 04-16-2014 at 04:14 PM..

Old 04-16-2014, 04:28 PM

20,516 posts, read 33,551,374 times
Quote:

Historical paths of hurricanes hitting Baja California, Southern California, & Northern Mexico:

I can count 2 or 3 that hit just east of San Diego.
LMAO. Just stop.

BTW....http://http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hurricane_Iniki

Not all tropical cyclones in the Pacific are called Typhoons and no, Hurricanes don't hit California either. The water is too cold for a Hurricane to survive in.

Old 04-16-2014, 04:31 PM

12,498 posts, read 26,998,067 times
(5.4 really)

http://media.heavy.com/media/2014/03...47-26-am-2.png
http://i2.wp.com/dutchsinse.tatoott1...os-angeles.jpg

Last edited by JMT; 04-18-2014 at 06:41 AM..

Old 04-16-2014, 04:32 PM

11,669 posts, read 17,953,214 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
Uh, yeah. Pretty inaccurate.
I wasn't stating it as fact. I was stating it as the perception that northeasterners have about Texas vs. California. Sure, it may not be true in reality, but that's now we view Texas. If I was to tell my friends and family that I was moving to Texas, they would be like

Old 04-16-2014, 04:49 PM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

45,983 posts, read 53,496,782 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nep321 View Post
I wasn't stating it as fact. I was stating it as the perception that northeasterners have about Texas vs. California. Sure, it may not be true in reality, but that's now we view Texas. If I was to tell my friends and family that I was moving to Texas, they would be like
You're overgeneralizing a bit. I do agree that California gets more attention as an interesting place while Texas is either ignored or some stereotypes tossed in or just confused with the south in general.

Old 04-16-2014, 04:58 PM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

45,983 posts, read 53,496,782 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by iNviNciBL3 View Post
people in both states are actually pretty apolitical.... people whose lives are completely taken over by politics will see these places as polar opposites but yes they are actually pretty similar. a large amount of Mexican influence, the people are laid back and have a good sense of fashion, you also have that thug/cholo culture in both states. huge freeways, mega freeway interchanges, the people also listen to the same music and watch the same sports...
True most people in real life don't care that much about politics. But the overall politics of a place often reflects local culture. Even if your typical Bay Area suburb resident and Houston suburb resident don't care much about politics, local attitudes would be rather different. Texas isn't your typical southern state, but it's always had a large southern cultural influence that California mostly lacks. Texas also gets far more transplants from the south. Texas also has a far greater African-American presence than California by percent, with blacks making less of an obvious impact to Californian culture and population. The Asian population is over double the black population in California. Texas has a high proportion of southern Baptists; California does not. Fifty years ago, the differences between the two states was much larger, with California definitely wealthier and more educated.

And you can't ignore the landscape differences: with its mountains California is much more dramatically scenic and the coastal areas have a much milder climate friendly for year around outdoor recreation. It adds a culture of the outdoors that you can't get in Texas. Mountain biking started in the Bay Area. It couldn't have started in any populated Texan metro. Really, it's a bit odd to claim a state that's mostly flat is the same as California.

Last edited by nei; 04-16-2014 at 05:15 PM..

Old 04-16-2014, 04:59 PM

44,259 posts, read 64,375,553 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nep321 View Post
I. At least that's how New Englanders view the two states -- whether it's accurate or not. California is considered "cool," while Texas is considered "backwoods."
So I guess New England is considered "ignorant."
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.