Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-18-2014, 06:53 PM

15,982 posts, read 35,206,894 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by latino_esq View Post

As for Metro Matt, I really don’t know what he is talking about, I’m sure he doesn’t either, as to how/why the “hard core drug scene” has any relevance to the topic at hand. Even Austin, known as the more liberal and tolerable of all other Texas cities mostly due to the University of Texas, doesn’t exactly stand out as a stoner city amongst any other city in the US. I’m sure many people can point out their local college towns but you can generally point out any college town and say that it has many people who smoke pot. But when we speak of marijuana in terms of culture, you have to start out with Humboldt County, Mendocino County and Trinity County (Emerald Triangle), and then San Francisco, Oakland, Denver, Seattle, Portland, Los Angeles.
Than you sir are misinformed. Marijuana is everywhere and everyone is doing it. You're pretty much an outcast or in the minority if you don't deal with weed in TX.

It's very common to get off from drug charges if caught with Marijuana.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-18-2014, 08:24 PM

4,156 posts, read 5,560,832 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blkgiraffe View Post
Than you sir are misinformed. Marijuana is everywhere and everyone is doing it. You're pretty much an outcast or in the minority if you don't deal with weed in TX.

So, despite some of the most punitive laws in the nation and no medical marijuana, TX has as strong a marijuana culture as any state because"everyone is doing it" and if you you don't, you are not cool. Houston might as well be Humboldt.

Its just like how Los Angeles gained its reputation as cattle country, because so many people there eat hamburgers.

Old 05-18-2014, 10:13 PM

12,498 posts, read 26,987,932 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blkgiraffe View Post

...and put on probation for over a year along with a fat ticket depending on how much you have or if you were selling it.

Jail time is easier & faster...3 for 1 in my county. If you wanna smoke that's the way to go. I've sat in court rooms before where the judges say the same thing. Only thing is they had to rat out the dealer to get a lesser sentence.

Old 05-18-2014, 10:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicago South Sider View Post
Lmao! You have to be the most juvenile homer on this board and that's saying something. There's no major city in this country where you cannot find any drug you want. Do you really believe people drive from Florida to Texas to score some pills? If you do then you've been using some of that stuff yourself.
I'm sure its easy as 1,2,3 to score some Shrooms or Peyote in NYC right?

Old 05-18-2014, 11:02 PM

15,982 posts, read 35,206,894 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nslander View Post
So, despite some of the most punitive laws in the nation and no medical marijuana, TX has as strong a marijuana culture as any state because"everyone is doing it" and if you you don't, you are not cool. Houston might as well be Humboldt.

Its just like how Los Angeles gained its reputation as cattle country, because so many people there eat hamburgers.
I actually don't smoke and when has the law ever stopped people from doing stuff. Marijuana usage is nothing rare or unique in TX.

Old 05-18-2014, 11:45 PM

Texas shares the longest border with Mexico & is the central most state in the US so of course the Marijuana culture is going to be pretty big here. In fact, its where most of the weed in the Midwest & East Coast comes from.

Highway 59 through Houston now called Interstate 69 is a major drug corridor as is Interstate 10.

Old 05-19-2014, 05:12 AM

3,147 posts, read 3,501,280 times
I think it is hilarious that Californians still think they have the biggest cannabis culture and reputation for the best smoke.

In two states, it is legal, in one of those states, the state constitution recognizes the *right* of adults to cannabis. This is light-years ahead of "de-prioritizing" pot arrests.

Colorado and Washington are becoming more well known for better bud than California. The market is completely legitimate here, this means more competition, which means better buds/lower prices.

California was the leader of the crusades for cannabis for a very long time, but they have passed on the torch for now. California needs to catch up with CO and WA in that regard. The use to be ahead of everyone else, now they are just another medical state.

How is California more pot friendly than Colorado? In Colorado, I can go to a dispensary, show ID, walk out with product. I can't do that legally in CA. Residents of CA can't legally buy cannabis in CA with only an ID than proves you are over 21... but if a CA resident comes to CO, they can buy with nothing but ID.

To the people saying Texas or FL, don't those states crucify you for simple possession? I wouldn't call that a "strong" cannabis culture.

Old 05-19-2014, 05:41 AM

Ok, I just read some of the posts about Texas. They are silly.

You can not say that the cannabis culture is "as strong or stronger" than states where it is completely legal. Where the majority of voters approved it and got the constitution amended to include it.

If you can use the amount illegal drug trafficking as proof that the culture is strong, can't Colorado and Washington use the amount of recreational pot stores as proof that they have more cannabis culture?

Texas has zero recreational pot stores, heck no medical. CO has hundreds, WA is planning on letting hundreds open this summer. If you get caught for possession in CO, they can't even threaten you with legal action at all, this is better than "being able to get out of jail time" or even the "de-prioritization" of cannabis offenses in CA.

The legal states with the strongest cannabis culture are:

1. Colorado
2. Washington

The states with decriminalization and medical with the strongest cannabis culture are:

1. California
2. Oregon
3. Vermont
4. Alaska
5. Maine

The states with ONLY medical with the strongest cannabis culture:

1. New Hampshire
2. New Jersey
3. Michigan
4. Illinois

Overall, for a top 10, I would go:

1. Colorado
2. California *for now, Washington soon to surpass*
3. Washington
4. Alaska
5. Oregon
6. Maine
7. Vermont
8. New Hampshire
9. New Jersey
10. Michigan

I wouldn't even put Texas in the top 10 unless we are only talking states where it is completely illegal.

Old 05-19-2014, 01:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xander_Crews View Post
Ok, I just read some of the posts about Texas. They are silly.

You can not say that the cannabis culture is "as strong or stronger" than states where it is completely legal. Where the majority of voters approved it and got the constitution amended to include it.

If you can use the amount illegal drug trafficking as proof that the culture is strong, can't Colorado and Washington use the amount of recreational pot stores as proof that they have more cannabis culture?

Texas has zero recreational pot stores, heck no medical. CO has hundreds, WA is planning on letting hundreds open this summer. If you get caught for possession in CO, they can't even threaten you with legal action at all, this is better than "being able to get out of jail time" or even the "de-prioritization" of cannabis offenses in CA.

The legal states with the strongest cannabis culture are:

1. Colorado
2. Washington

The states with decriminalization and medical with the strongest cannabis culture are:

1. California
2. Oregon
3. Vermont
4. Alaska
5. Maine

The states with ONLY medical with the strongest cannabis culture:

1. New Hampshire
2. New Jersey
3. Michigan
4. Illinois

Overall, for a top 10, I would go:

1. Colorado
2. California *for now, Washington soon to surpass*
3. Washington
4. Alaska
5. Oregon
6. Maine
7. Vermont
8. New Hampshire
9. New Jersey
10. Michigan

I wouldn't even put Texas in the top 10 unless we are only talking states where it is completely illegal.
Governor Perry said so himself on Jimmy Kimmel Live when he was doing his show in Austin for SXSW he wanted to see Marijuana decriminalized in Texas. That speaks volumes about the state's tolerance these daze, especially in the larger cities where its no secret everyone & their dog smokes it. Smoke shops on every corner in cities like Houston, Dallas, & Austin. Hell, even here in little old Tyler smoke shops are popping up everywhere over night.

Old 05-19-2014, 01:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Metro Matt View Post
Governor Perry said so himself on Jimmy Kimmel Live when he was doing his show in Austin for SXSW he wanted to see Marijuana decriminalized in Texas. That speaks volumes about the state's tolerance these daze, especially in the larger cities where its no secret everyone & their dog smokes it. Smoke shops on every corner in cities like Houston, Dallas, & Austin. Hell, even here in little old Tyler smoke shops are popping up everywhere over night.
So Perry said that he wants to see it decriminalized... Uh, it is already decriminalized in a quarter of the states in this country. Almost half the states have medical. Two states have complete legalization.

How does Perry saying he wants it decriminalized put it ahead of the states that have already done it, and how does that statement put it ahead of the states where it is actually legal for adults over 21?

You have smoke shops on every corner? In Denver there are marijuana shops on every corner, and you can walk out of them with cannabis by only proving you are over 21. If a cop finds out that you have some bud on you, and you haven't been driving while impaired, smoking in public, etc... he can't do anything about it. (And most won't do anything about ingesting it in public.)

Your post does not change my opinion, I still think it is laughable to say that Texas is one of the top 5 states with strongest cannabis-culture. I still think it is hard to argue it into the top 10.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.