Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-11-2007, 05:14 PM

450 posts, read 1,905,121 times

Advertisements

We discussed this about a year ago, but with the best dressed thread getting a lot of attention, we can revisit the topic.

Which cities do you consider to be most casual and most formal?

Business is obviously one category, while evening/weekend wear is another category.

Here's some thoughts...

Denver is very casual, a very comfortable place to be. You can go almost anywhere in a ski jacket and jeans, and you don't feel people are judging you because of what you wear. Business casual is about as formal as most business wear goes. Very friendly, casual approach to dress.

Minneapolis/St. Paul is also causal in a very Midwestern way. Sweatshirts and jeans work at most restaurants, and business casual is prevalent.

Southern California (Ventura to Chula Vista) is "California casual" -- in other words, not suit and tie, but definite rules to follow. Even some casual restaurants have dress codes that suggest the owner thinks the place is nicer than it really is -- yet at the same time, it lacks a certain formality. It's a mix -- some people are comfortably casual, while others seem to judge people by what they wear -- ugh!

Omaha is very Midwesternly casual -- comfortable dress, and even if you seem underdressed, nobody will hold it against you.

Any more thoughts? Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-11-2007, 05:20 PM

20,004 posts, read 77,359,841 times
Most casual? Albuquerque. Most formal? Tie between NYC, Chicago, San Fran.

Old 12-11-2007, 07:44 PM

8,256 posts, read 17,337,794 times
I'd have to say SoCal and Florida are casual.

NYC is definitely the most formal.

Old 12-11-2007, 07:49 PM

3,631 posts, read 10,231,884 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve-o View Post
Most casual? Albuquerque. Most formal? Tie between NYC, Chicago, San Fran.
I guess I don't fit in Chicago then. haha. I'm always wearing jeans and now that it's winter I swear I look like a crazy bag lady in my big coat and hat and boots. (For the record I hate all of my clothes but I can't afford to buy new ones right now.)

Old 12-11-2007, 08:16 PM

That surprises me about Chicago, to be honest. The Midwest always seemed casual, and Chicago has such a friendly feel about it. Maybe it's just me, but casual feels "friendly" while formal feels "cold and distant." I just see Chicago as more of the former than the latter....??

Old 12-11-2007, 10:22 PM
j33

4,626 posts, read 14,083,381 times
Chicago, even though I was born and raised here, has never struck me as particularly formal, it has always struck me as one of the more 'laid-back' big cities when it comes to that sort of thing.

That being said, I have some friends who moved out to Seattle and complain that they have no place to wear their nice clothes since they've moved.

... but I've never had much experience out west, so who knows.

Old 12-11-2007, 10:45 PM

8,256 posts, read 17,337,794 times
In general, the West Coast is more laid back in their clothing style. The pace of life is in no way laid back though in some cities such as SF and LA. But, I wouldn't be surprised if some jobs in San Diego wouldn't mind if someone wore shorts. SF is a little uptight, probably because of it's east coast influence.

Old 12-12-2007, 04:58 PM

San Diego is business casual... it's not quite as casual as I thought it might be, but it's not formal either. Having said that, I have seen people wear flip-flops at work.. so it does depend on where you work!

Seattle is ultra-casual, very comfortable, from my impression. Vancouver is very much the same way.

Old 12-12-2007, 05:23 PM

20,004 posts, read 77,359,841 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HockeyFan View Post
That surprises me about Chicago, to be honest. The Midwest always seemed casual, and Chicago has such a friendly feel about it. Maybe it's just me, but casual feels "friendly" while formal feels "cold and distant." I just see Chicago as more of the former than the latter....??
Well, I should have explained a little more. Most neighborhoods are very casual. But downtown is very formal. Does that make sense? I spend 95% of my time in Chicago so Im used to seeing fancy dresses, suits, ties, the whole affair (especially on weekend nights).

Old 12-12-2007, 06:21 PM

3,631 posts, read 10,231,884 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve-o View Post
Well, I should have explained a little more. Most neighborhoods are very casual. But downtown is very formal. Does that make sense? I spend 95% of my time in Chicago so Im used to seeing fancy dresses, suits, ties, the whole affair (especially on weekend nights).
That's what I thought you meant. Alas, I'm not that formal nor do i know anyone that is that formal, hah.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.