Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-26-2014, 09:18 PM

47 posts, read 120,884 times

Advertisements

As Demographics change in the USA and in 2060 Whites will be 43%, Hispanics 31%, Blacks 15% and Asians 8%. I am wondering if Hispanics will be assimilated as part of "White" America since Non-Hispanic White/Hispanic marriages are the most common in the USA and most Hispanics in America identify as White. Here are some interesting studies and what do you all think about it.

http://www.census.gov/hhes/socdemo/m...2013_FINAL.pdf

http://www.nytimes.com/2014/05/22/up...hite.html?_r=0

Old 05-26-2014, 09:29 PM

16,508 posts, read 26,297,887 times
Unless they enslave whites, instill "separate but equal" laws, then nah I don't think so.

Old 05-27-2014, 12:07 AM

2,663 posts, read 4,842,808 times
They already are.

Old 05-27-2014, 12:11 AM

5,365 posts, read 6,334,657 times
Of course not. Even with intermarriage Hispanics will still have a lot of African and Indigenous blood in the gene pool. Those genes are not going to just vanish and the physical characteristics will be there for generations for certain.

Old 05-27-2014, 02:14 AM

3 posts, read 4,178 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by annie_himself View Post
Unless they enslave whites, instill "separate but equal" laws, then nah I don't think so.
Because whites are the only one who had slaves? Hmm...

Old 05-27-2014, 08:09 AM

47 posts, read 120,884 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CravingMountains View Post
Of course not. Even with intermarriage Hispanics will still have a lot of African and Indigenous blood in the gene pool. Those genes are not going to just vanish and the physical characteristics will be there for generations for certain.
The only Hispanics in the USA with African blood are the Caribbean Hispanics and not the Mexican or Central and South Americans in the USA that are like 90% of all Hispanics in the country. Some famous mixed Mexican/Caucasians are Jessica Alba, Demi Lovato, Selena Gomez, Linda Carter (Wonder Woman) and the woman who played Daisy Duke in the Dukes of Hazard. All those look pretty white to me.

Old 05-27-2014, 09:18 AM

16,508 posts, read 26,297,887 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Internet Brain Shrink View Post
Because whites are the only one who had slaves? Hmm...
In "the land of the free"

Old 05-27-2014, 09:30 AM

733 posts, read 939,504 times
I don't think so, I've discussed this with a friend before. I mean many European groups formerly seen as undesirable have been assimilated into American whiteness, but for it to happen to Mexicans there have to be major attitude changes, many white people see Mexicans as public enemy #1 and until they'd come together against a new common enemy or Mexicans as a whole strive more to associate themselves with American whiteness like the Irish did by excluding black people to not be associated with them, I really don't see it any time soon. And Mexicans make up a good 60% of America's Hispanic population. If that does happen there might be polarization between the Mexicans who want to be white and the Mexicans who are more about reclaiming their indigenous heritage which is a minority.

Puerto Ricans are like second biggest I think, and plenty of them are intermixed with African which I don't think it helps their chances.

With Cubans I can see this happening more, maybe it will happen to that select group, also Spaniard Hispanics if it's not very like that already. If it happens to Hispanics as a whole they coukd accept the lighter ones as white while the darker ones are left behind, it's certainly be interesting.

Old 05-27-2014, 10:41 AM

5,518 posts, read 8,766,208 times
Can't remember where, but many years ago I read how the racial dynamic in the U.S. will change: Back in the day, we spoke mainly of being "white" and "non-white". The latter, of course, was largely the African-American demographic. But the change is that we are moving toward or may already be at -- especially after the '60s immigration reforms -- a point where the predominant thinking around race and ethnicity will be more like "black" and "non-black."

The idea being that although white, Asian and Hispanic people are clearly different in ethnicity, skin tone, facial features and the like, in practice they will have commonalities that substantially separates ALL of them from African-Americans. Why? Because they will consistently do better in education, housing, upward mobility, family structure, home ownership, involvement in the criminal justice system, and other metrics of social and economic well-being. All those groups will improve their social indicators --though at varying rates-- while black people will remain stuck at the bottom. Hence the truest and best way to think of ethnic differences will be "black" and "non-black"

I don't think I buy this argument entirely because it assumes little to no social progress for black people, which I think is short-sighted and just not the case. But it is an intriguing way to think of things.

Old 05-27-2014, 11:05 AM

5,365 posts, read 6,334,657 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuckaFree123456 View Post
The only Hispanics in the USA with African blood are the Caribbean Hispanics and not the Mexican or Central and South Americans in the USA that are like 90% of all Hispanics in the country. Some famous mixed Mexican/Caucasians are Jessica Alba, Demi Lovato, Selena Gomez, Linda Carter (Wonder Woman) and the woman who played Daisy Duke in the Dukes of Hazard. All those look pretty white to me.
Nonsense.

South American Hispanics have a LOT of African admixture. Countries like Colombia, Venezuela people of mixed African and European are the majority of the population. Also central American countries like Panama and Nicaragua have a lot of African admixture too.

All those celebrities you mentioned certainly look mostly white but you can tell there is something else thrown into the mix as well.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.