Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-27-2014, 11:14 AM

2,330 posts, read 3,810,480 times

Advertisements

As the US entered the 20th century differences between different groups of white people were still considered very important. You had Italians, Irish, Jews, old line WASPs, etc. Now they are all just white people.

I think that over the next century the same thing will happen with our societies' current racial caste system. Race is a cultural construct and it is only meaningful if there are cultural differences within our society. If I look at the arc of cultural evolution over my lifetime, it begins in the 70s when black and white lived in separate worlds. Today we are moving towards a more unified culture where black and white are living in the same cultural space more and more, and immigrants are assimilating into that. With that will come more intermarriage and a future where being mixed will be more common. I think we are becoming like Brazil but richer, so it won't matter if Hispanics become the new whites, the concept will be meaningless. This change is happening on a generational time scale so it may appear to be slow to those who are younger, but it is real.

Old 05-27-2014, 12:19 PM

604 posts, read 1,521,147 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuckaFree123456 View Post
As Demographics change in the USA and in 2060 Whites will be 43%, Hispanics 31%, Blacks 15% and Asians 8%. I am wondering if Hispanics will be assimilated as part of "White" America since Non-Hispanic White/Hispanic marriages are the most common in the USA and most Hispanics in America identify as White. Here are some interesting studies and what do you all think about it.

http://www.census.gov/hhes/socdemo/m...2013_FINAL.pdf

http://www.nytimes.com/2014/05/22/up...hite.html?_r=0
I do believe that America will pretty much absorb the Hispanic, and even Asian population into a new form of "whiteness"

What makes me say this? A few reasons. Look at the Zimmerman trial. Even though Zimmerman is Hispanic, he was pretty much defined as "white" by the mainstream media as opposed to Travyon Martin.

Secondly Hispanics have a very high intermarriage rate with White Anglo Saxon Protestants. Most of these children honestly look fairly "white" in terms of phenotype.

I think the same applies for Asian Americans as well. I notice in most articles, when the term minority is used, it is never even applied to Asian Americans anymore. Plus many Asian Americans have high marriage rates with White Americans, and live in very affluent areas is in the richest cities. In many ways Asians are the new "jews' of the 21st century in American culture. The Asian American population is one of the fastest demographics, and will eventually surpass the African American population.

Plus I think that Asian/Hispanic culture has very similar views on beauty compared to White America. I do think overtime America will become more polerazied in terms of class differences though.

The sad part of all this is that the African American community in the inner cities will be left behind. Well I think that race is still largely viewed in Black vs. White terms (even in Latin Countries such as Brazil). The fringes of American society will always be African American, unless something significant really changes.

Old 05-27-2014, 12:33 PM

47 posts, read 120,905 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drewcifer View Post
As the US entered the 20th century differences between different groups of white people were still considered very important. You had Italians, Irish, Jews, old line WASPs, etc. Now they are all just white people.

I think that over the next century the same thing will happen with our societies' current racial caste system. Race is a cultural construct and it is only meaningful if there are cultural differences within our society. If I look at the arc of cultural evolution over my lifetime, it begins in the 70s when black and white lived in separate worlds. Today we are moving towards a more unified culture where black and white are living in the same cultural space more and more, and immigrants are assimilating into that. With that will come more intermarriage and a future where being mixed will be more common. I think we are becoming like Brazil but richer, so it won't matter if Hispanics become the new whites, the concept will be meaningless. This change is happening on a generational time scale so it may appear to be slow to those who are younger, but it is real.
Brazil is one the most racist societies in Latin American and half of its population is White. The mixed and pure blacks are treated like dirt unless they play soccer. Look at all the Brazilian Victoria Secret models and tell me which one is black or mulatto. If anything the ones with color look more mestizo.

Old 05-27-2014, 12:46 PM

47 posts, read 120,905 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CravingMountains View Post
Nonsense.

South American Hispanics have a LOT of African admixture. Countries like Colombia, Venezuela people of mixed African and European are the majority of the population. Also central American countries like Panama and Nicaragua have a lot of African admixture too.

All those celebrities you mentioned certainly look mostly white but you can tell there is something else thrown into the mix as well.
I am aware that the there are a lot of Afro-Latinos across Latin America but I am talking about the Latinos in the USA that account for like 97% who do not have much if any black blood. Mexican-Americans alone account for like 65% of all Hispanics in the USA and are involved in the most interracial/ethnic marriages with whites than any other group by a 4 to 1 ratio. From Wikipedia: Black Hispanics account for 2.5% of the entire U.S. Hispanic population. Most Black Hispanics in the United States come from within the Colombian, Venezuelan, Puerto Rican and Dominican populations. The Cuban and Panamanian communities also have large numbers of black Hispanics.

Black Hispanic and Latino Americans - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 05-27-2014, 12:54 PM

733 posts, read 939,702 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skihikeclimb View Post
I do believe that America will pretty much absorb the Hispanic, and even Asian population into a new form of "whiteness"

What makes me say this? A few reasons. Look at the Zimmerman trial. Even though Zimmerman is Hispanic, he was pretty much defined as "white" by the mainstream media as opposed to Travyon Martin.

Secondly Hispanics have a very high intermarriage rate with White Anglo Saxon Protestants. Most of these children honestly look fairly "white" in terms of phenotype.

I think the same applies for Asian Americans as well. I notice in most articles, when the term minority is used, it is never even applied to Asian Americans anymore. Plus many Asian Americans have high marriage rates with White Americans, and live in very affluent areas is in the richest cities. In many ways Asians are the new "jews' of the 21st century in American culture. The Asian American population is one of the fastest demographics, and will eventually surpass the African American population.

Plus I think that Asian/Hispanic culture has very similar views on beauty compared to White America. I do think overtime America will become more polerazied in terms of class differences though.

The sad part of all this is that the African American community in the inner cities will be left behind. Well I think that race is still largely viewed in Black vs. White terms (even in Latin Countries such as Brazil). The fringes of American society will always be African American, unless something significant really changes.
What about Indian Country?

Old 05-27-2014, 12:56 PM

733 posts, read 939,702 times
Quote:
I am aware that the there are a lot of Afro-Latinos across Latin America but I am talking about the Latinos in the USA that account for like 97% who do not have much if any black blood. Mexican-Americans alone account for like 65% of all Hispanics in the USA and are involved in the most interracial/ethnic marriages with whites than any other group by a 4 to 1 ratio. From Wikipedia: Black Hispanics account for 2.5% of the entire U.S. Hispanic population. Most Black Hispanics in the United States come from within the Colombian, Venezuelan, Puerto Rican and Dominican populations. The Cuban and Panamanian communities also have large numbers of black Hispanics.

2.5% self reported. I'm fairly sure plenty of Puerto Ricans and Dominicans have a good deal of African blood but fail to identify as Hispanic Black.

Old 05-27-2014, 12:59 PM

5,365 posts, read 6,335,752 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drewcifer View Post

People throw that argument around all the time when forecasting what will become of Hispanics in the future.

I have friends who are of Southern European ancestry, like Italian, Portuguese, Greek, who definitely push the boundaries of what it means to be "white". Some of them are brown.

Hispanics (for the most part) genetically are roughly 50% Southern European (arguably white) and 50% African/Indigenous (Definitely 1000% NOT white).

I know a lot of Hispanics like to put they are white on the census. For what reason, I'll never understand. In the future you will always have white people like myself looking at that practice with a confused look. But hey, what they describe themselves as on paper is their business, not mine.

Old 05-27-2014, 01:04 PM

Quote:

Exactly. This goes to what I was saying earlier.

Brazil is not the example of what the U.S. wants to follow, and most "hispanics" in America are of mestizo origin. Brazil is an incredibly racist country, they are just mostly in denial about it. You have to give the United States some credit. I can't think of any other country that is as open with its past racial wounds as the U.S.

In Canada this is less of an issue, because the vast majority of Non "whites" are of Asian Ancestry. The African population is tiny.

Old 05-27-2014, 01:10 PM

5,365 posts, read 6,335,752 times
Quote:

That is incorrect. You should read this link which gives a better explanation on the ancestry of Hispanic Americans.

Hispanic and Latino Americans - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Of the 52 million Hispanics in America, 8 million of them are from "high sending" countries with significant amounts of African admixture. These countries are Cuba, Puerto Rico, Dominican Republic.

And additionally, roughly 2 million more Hispanics come from "low sending" countries that also have high African admixture. These are countries such as Colombia, Nicaragua, Venezuela, Panama, Costa Rica, etc.

So your comment about 97% of Latinos in the USA have little or no African blood is completely false. At least 20% of Hispanic Americans have ancestry from countries that do indeed have a lot of African in the gene pool.

Old 05-27-2014, 01:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CravingMountains View Post

So your comment about 97% of Latinos in the USA have little or no African blood is completely false. At least 20% of Hispanic Americans have ancestry from countries that do indeed have a lot of African in the gene pool.

Don't be silly. Nearly 5 percent of so called "white" Americans have black ancestry as well. Might be higher in certain areas of the SE United States.

A person can have African heritage and have no phenotype expressed that would make them identifably African. What has been said be earlier posters pretty much stands. The vast majority of Hispanics living in the U.S. are mestizo (mainly European and Indigenous ancestry).

The vast majority of Hispanics who marry WASPS will look, and identify as white.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.