Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-29-2014, 08:42 AM

2 posts, read 5,226 times

Advertisements

Hello!

I am 28 year old female with a MA/MS working in the medical field at this time. I've grown up in St. Louis, done my schooling in OK and have had my first job in KC, MO. I'm now looking to move on from KC.

Things to know:
1) Family is very important to me... my immediate family members reside in Denver, Twin Cities, St. Louis, Chicago, Madison.
2) I am gay. So a liberal community and a strong lesbian community would be important.
3) Love sports, museums, food, culture, diversity
4) Love outdoors - not into the snow sports much but love to hike, have park nearby, and places to take the dog out to run.
5) I have a bike which is not used much and find the idea at least of living in a city that's more bike friendly exciting. I love my car for the escape it can give me but am happy to use public transportation.
6) Weather. I feel pretty tough in a lot of ways but I do hate both the extremes of hot/cold. My issue with snow is that I've lived in places where the city just shuts down. If I am going to have snow then I need to live in a place that takes care of it

So with all that above I was hoping to use the internet to help focus in an anyone's experiences and suggestions regarding the moving adventure and where it should lead me to start looking....

THANKS!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-29-2014, 08:54 AM

27,224 posts, read 43,942,133 times
I think given your list of cities and criteria, Chicago far and away fits best.

Old 06-29-2014, 09:03 AM

37,882 posts, read 41,970,495 times
Denver seems to be a pretty strong contender here based on your criteria.

Old 06-29-2014, 09:29 AM

3,415 posts, read 5,129,247 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eramey12 View Post
Hello!

I am 28 year old female with a MA/MS working in the medical field at this time. I've grown up in St. Louis, done my schooling in OK and have had my first job in KC, MO. I'm now looking to move on from KC.

Things to know:
1) Family is very important to me... my immediate family members reside in Denver, Twin Cities, St. Louis, Chicago, Madison.
2) I am gay. So a liberal community and a strong lesbian community would be important.
3) Love sports, museums, food, culture, diversity
4) Love outdoors - not into the snow sports much but love to hike, have park nearby, and places to take the dog out to run.
5) I have a bike which is not used much and find the idea at least of living in a city that's more bike friendly exciting. I love my car for the escape it can give me but am happy to use public transportation.
6) Weather. I feel pretty tough in a lot of ways but I do hate both the extremes of hot/cold. My issue with snow is that I've lived in places where the city just shuts down. If I am going to have snow then I need to live in a place that takes care of it

So with all that above I was hoping to use the internet to help focus in an anyone's experiences and suggestions regarding the moving adventure and where it should lead me to start looking....

THANKS!
Cleveland would fit your criteria. We have a great healthcare industry with the Cleveland Clinic, University Hospitals, and Metro Health (3 independent hospital systems all in Cleveland), and Summa in Akron. For nature, we have 20,000 acres of beautiful metroparks which encircle the city nicknamed the Emerald Necklace, Lake Erie which has many beaches, a beautiful 20,000 acre national park (The Cuyahoga Valley National Park), and some very nice city parks. Temperatures are very tolerable most of the year. Winters are cold, gray and snowy (we definitely know how to deal with snow), but springs, summers, and falls are glorious and long, and we definitely take advantage of them with tons of festivals and outdoor events. Our museums, culture, and food are fantastic for a city of any size. We have the newly revamped ($350 million expansion) Cleveland Museum of Art, which houses one of the greatest art collections in North America, and is on par with the Met. We also have the World Class Cleveland Orchestra (ranked 7th in the world by Gramaphone magazine), and Playhouse Square the beautifully restored 1920s theater complex that is the 2nd largest theater complex in the country and hosts countless national and local productions throughout the year. We have 3 pro sports teams, which despite their lack of success, have very loyal and rabid fans, especially the Browns. The city is very gay friendly; we are hosting Gay Games 9 this year, and just hosted the largest Pride parade in the city's history, with a turnout of 30,000.

We have seen Billions in redevelopment in our Downtown, University Circle, and near-downtown neighborhoods in recent years. IMO, Cleveland is definitely a hot spot, and a great place to call home (with very affordable housing).

Last edited by Cleverfield; 06-29-2014 at 10:36 AM..

Old 06-29-2014, 11:43 AM

93,389 posts, read 124,009,048 times
I think that the Twin Cities would be a good fit.

Old 06-29-2014, 12:00 PM

3,415 posts, read 5,129,247 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
I think that the Twin Cities would be a good fit.
She said she hates extreme hot or cold. The TC's have both.

Last edited by Cleverfield; 06-29-2014 at 12:40 PM..

Old 06-29-2014, 12:39 PM

93,389 posts, read 124,009,048 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cleverfield View Post
He said he hates extreme hot or cold. The TC's have both.
They also mentioned that family is important and have some family members in the area. She is a lesbian and the Twin Cities area would be a good fit in that regard, as well as almost all of the other criteria.

Old 06-29-2014, 04:08 PM

737 posts, read 1,654,831 times
I would second the Twin Cities as well. It gets cold but 6-12 inches of snow doesn't cripple the city, people embrace it and life still goes on. In fact Denver, Chicago, or Madison would fit your criteria as well. MSP, and Denver will feel similar (at least that's what I've been told). Chicago is obviously a much larger city with unlimited options, and Madison is a great small to mid sized city that punches far above it's weight (it will be the least diverse but doesn't detract from vibe of the city at all, and it is likely the most granola/ liberal of those listed. Of the cities that you have family in I know the least about St Louis. All seem like pluses given you have family there. Have you been to any of them? BTW went to KC about a year a go there is some seriously good BBQ there!

Old 06-29-2014, 04:32 PM

4,675 posts, read 7,407,718 times
It sounds like Chicago could pretty well fit your needs, maybe even Denver or the Twin Cities (if you can take the winters of the Twin Cities). If you are looking at Chicago, check out Andersonville/Edgewater. You'll get everything from a huge LGBT population, extreme diversity, great public transit, near parks, the lakefront, bike paths, restaurants, good bars, etc. Of course, Chicago all over has diversity, museum, sports, culture etc. in spades. It's a huge city, though, so there are so many potential options for you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.