Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-07-2014, 06:41 PM

13,827 posts, read 29,963,103 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by hbrogan View Post
Due to its location right in the middle of the USA?
Not necessarily, but places like that are generally what people think of as "American" culture. Cities like Vancouver and Seattle (and even Portland to an extent) are quite cosmopolitan in culture, which I wouldn't necessarily describe as inherently American. Eugene would honestly be your best bet of the three here.

Would you suggest an American only visit London to get his fill of British culture? I think not.

Old 07-07-2014, 08:11 PM

10,022 posts, read 8,657,230 times
According to that other fella's thread, there are too many homeless and junkies in the pacific northwest. I guess that's part of American culture.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-07-2014, 09:48 PM

281 posts, read 713,700 times
Another thing to consider is that the stereotypical PNW culture exists mostly in the western half of Oregon and Washington. If you want to experience more arid, rural, agriculturally based, conservative, western America, you need only drive over the mountains (which you will want to do anyways because they're beautiful). The two halves are distinctly different but the east side is often overshadowed by the larger population centers in the west.

And no offense to the midwest, I'm sure it's also beautiful, but if you want to see some amazing geography you should really consider the PNW. From the rugged coast, old growth forests and Cascade volcanoes in the west to deserts and deep canyons in the east, it's really amazing.

Old 07-08-2014, 04:56 PM

6 posts, read 6,559 times
Thanks for your replies! I am still torn on the subject though. I think I would fit in better in the pacnw but like i said I also want to experience the heartland. Maybe a road trip through the heartland instead and the year in the pacnw?

Old 07-08-2014, 05:23 PM

9,961 posts, read 17,539,349 times
US culture is pretty diverse these days. If you go to Seattle or Portland in the cities or suburbs you find places from liberal artsy neighborhoods to more diverse suburbs full of Asians and Hispanics. If you go to places in the Pacific Northwest outside of Portland and Seattle or the more touristy cities you'll find a pretty average small-town America environment. If you go to the Oregon State Fair in Salem you could basically be in Nebraska. If you go to a college football game in Eugene or Corvallis you could be in any part of the country basically.

If you go east of the Cascades you'll be in high desert country full of cowboys at some points that feels like Montana or Wyoming in parts or places that feel like predominantly Mexican farm-workers(also in parts of Western Oregon). You'll see a cross-section of US culture but there's plenty of stuff you won't see much of.

I guess on some level though, it depends on what parts of US culture you'd like to see, or what you imagine an All-American town to be.

Old 07-08-2014, 05:56 PM

27,616 posts, read 28,714,640 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hbrogan View Post
My simple question is: would a British university student still get to grips with American culture if they studied in the PacNW?
You will experience American culture in every region of the U.S., including the Pacific Northwest.

Heck, even most of Canada is very close to American culture. Some would call it nearly indistinguishable.

Old 07-08-2014, 06:59 PM

41 posts, read 70,026 times
What so you mean by All American culture? The answer to this question will help you decide.

Old 07-08-2014, 07:04 PM

13,827 posts, read 29,963,103 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCityDreamer View Post
You will experience American culture in every region of the U.S., including the Pacific Northwest.

Heck, even most of Canada is very close to American culture. Some would call it nearly indistinguishable.
Except we don't say "aboot", and they don't point and laugh when somebody trips and falls.

Old 07-08-2014, 07:52 PM

17,819 posts, read 13,729,146 times
The middle American "culture" (where I live) is probably not as interesting in terms of activities as you would have in the more cosmopolitan and international PNW. Our scenery is not near as spectacular. Our food isn't as eclectic and is not near as healthy. However, the people are probably more friendly as a general rule.

The worst thing about middle America is the prolonged winters.

Old 07-09-2014, 05:12 AM

9,982 posts, read 13,773,012 times
Why not? Come to America, make sure you watch TV and catch current events and politics from the whole country, and try not to cloister yourself in a super academic enclave, like near University of Washington or Bellingham. You could actually go to a places like Boise or Spokane or Medford, which are in the PNW, but also more conservative. It is actually hard to ignore American culture, even outside America. Texans, I'd say, embody something of our stereotypical national character, loud and self-satisfied, argumentative, but gregarious and fun loving. In any case, that attitude will be palpable even in the PNW, where you will also meet plenty of people who loathe that stereotype. And actually, you will see ample evidence that America is a dynamic melting pot that is always changing in flavor. The gun waving Scots-Irish redneck, the low rider-driving Hispanic, the tech-waving hipster, the drug-addled tweaker, the enviro-minded bongo slapper, the coffee house intellectual, and the overachieving Asian immigrant are just slices of a very large and tasty pizza. You can sample it most places in the country.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.