Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-11-2014, 10:03 AM

4,787 posts, read 11,757,425 times

Advertisements

I'm going to repeat what I said in an earlier post. You can get from the New Hampshire sea coast to the mountains in an hour . Lots of skiing /snow boarding, etc. in NH in winter and lot of mountain camping /hiking/fishing in the summer

There is no place in NY, NJ or CT that will get you ocean front to mountains in an hour.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-11-2014, 10:18 AM

12,883 posts, read 13,982,632 times
There is no "cold" beach in NJ anyway. Of course during the winter it is cold, but you can comfortably sit on the beach between April and October. It is obviously hottest in the summer from June, maybe even May, to about mid-September. Our beaches tend to lack humidity though and have a nice breeze, but it is hot. The water even is warm, reaching up to 75 by August. If you're looking for a cold area, you'll be more likely to find it in New England but even New England summers are hot. On the East Coast, we have warm to hot summers. you won't really find too many mild days, where it's barely above 75 with little to no humidity.

I still stand by my recommendation of Maine, but just to be clear nowhere on the East Coast is "cold" because we have hot summers. If you're fine with a warm summer and cold late falls and winters, then anywhere in the Northeast would suffice.

Old 07-11-2014, 10:53 AM

93,241 posts, read 123,876,708 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by willow wind View Post
I'm going to repeat what I said in an earlier post. You can get from the New Hampshire sea coast to the mountains in an hour . Lots of skiing /snow boarding, etc. in NH in winter and lot of mountain camping /hiking/fishing in the summer

There is no place in NY, NJ or CT that will get you ocean front to mountains in an hour.
If access to a beach is the main objective, then, the OP has more options than he/she thinks and could do all of those things within minutes, depending on the location and season. It may be a matter of what the OP is open to. Vermont could even work in this regard.

With this said, if it is strictly coastal beaches, then this is the best situation. Hampton Beach comes to mind. You may have communities in those states in between beaches and mountains, but I don't know if traffic would allow for access to both within an hour.

Last edited by ckhthankgod; 07-11-2014 at 11:10 AM..

Old 07-11-2014, 02:09 PM

35,309 posts, read 52,288,448 times
If its gotta be cool weather, beaches and mountains Oregon/Washington would give you more options than the Northeast.
http://wikitravel.org/en/Oregon_Coast

Old 07-11-2014, 02:51 PM

13,709 posts, read 21,916,180 times
"Cold" and "beach" are oxymoronic to me ....

Old 07-11-2014, 03:05 PM

93,241 posts, read 123,876,708 times
Rye, NY may work with its town beach/park and it is within an hour/hour and a half from the Catskills and Poconos. Rye Town Park and Beach

Nearby Mamaroneck would fit too: Village of Mamaroneck, NY - Recreation

Both are on the Long Island Sound.

NY Metro Parents
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.