Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which is your least favorite English-language accents?
General American (midwestern) 13 3.83%
California "non-accent" 25 7.37%
Texas 18 5.31%
General U.S. Southern 84 24.78%
New York/ New Jersey 101 29.79%
Boston 33 9.73%
Minnesotan 31 9.14%
Canadian 6 1.77%
General British 14 4.13%
Australian 14 4.13%
Voters: 339. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-16-2008, 04:51 PM

218 posts, read 508,083 times

Advertisements

I'm just not into the Southern drawl...ya'll lol

I find it funny that in Indiana, if you go much further south than Ft. Wayne everybody talks like they are in Georgia.

My fav is Mass. and New Hampshire,and New England accents in general.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-16-2008, 04:55 PM

167 posts, read 214,000 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by picsesmauve957 View Post
I'm not voting, accents are cool.
And why did so many people say Southern accent, that makes me pissed 'cause Southern accents are so cute, I even a have a bit of one.
Wow, that's the 3rd time I've agreed with you, have another cookie.

Old 01-16-2008, 07:20 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,779,853 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Softballfan View Post

I find it funny that in Indiana, if you go much further south than Ft. Wayne everybody talks like they are in Georgia.

The comments about Indiana are a bit exaggerated. Central Indianans do not speak very southern, IMO. Even in Evansville, on the Ohio River across from Kentucky, the accent is not that of the deep south.

Old 01-16-2008, 08:30 PM
j33

4,626 posts, read 14,089,265 times
It may not be 'deep south' but there is a bit of a southern twang to the southern midwest accent that is pretty clear to my ears.

Old 01-16-2008, 10:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Softballfan View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by j33 View Post
It may not be 'deep south' but there is a bit of a southern twang to the southern midwest accent that is pretty clear to my ears.
Yes, it's southern, but it doesn't sound like Georgia. And it's only southern in the way south of Ind., not in Indy, for example.

Old 01-18-2008, 05:42 AM

133 posts, read 498,382 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newyorkborn&raised View Post
To me nothing is more annoying than a midwest accent. I think it sounds uneducated and dull. I love old school New Yorker accents (Michael Savage, Chuck Schumer, etc.).
I should have been more specific...I really mean the Northern Midwest ie Minnesota, ND, Wiscaaahnsin. I've always liked a southern accent. It sounds very pleasant and calm.

Old 01-18-2008, 07:30 AM
j33

4,626 posts, read 14,089,265 times
Actually, I get a kick out of those rural northern Midwest accents ... you betcha!

... I remember going to school with a girl from North Dakota ... we gave her the nickname 'uff da' (it mainly only came out after she had had a few drinks).

Old 01-24-2008, 04:55 PM

216 posts, read 698,423 times
I love the Boston accent . I was visiting in Texas on the coast and boy, that is some irritating twangs there. Now Louisiana had some cool accents, kind of sing songy with a twang. I'm from California and have wondered if we have an accent, cuz none of us think we do!!!!

Old 01-24-2008, 07:27 PM

Quote:
To me nothing is more annoying than a midwest accent. I think it sounds uneducated and dull. I love old school New Yorker accents (Michael Savage, Chuck Schumer, etc.).
Quote:
I should have been more specific...I really mean the Northern Midwest ie Minnesota, ND, Wiscaaahnsin. I've always liked a southern accent. It sounds very pleasant and calm.
Uneducated? Minnesota? Here are the stats for Minneapolis (city only). Minnesota has one of the most highly educated populations in the country.

For population 25 years and over in Minneapolis

High school or higher: 85.0%
Bachelor's degree or higher: 37.4%
Graduate or professional degree: 13.1%

Here's Fargo, the largest city in N. Dakota:

For population 25 years and over in Fargo

High school or higher: 91.0%
Bachelor's degree or higher: 34.4%
Graduate or professional degree: 9.5%

Here is NYC:

For population 25 years and over in New York

High school or higher: 72.3%
Bachelor's degree or higher: 27.4%
Graduate or professional degree: 11.6%

Old 01-24-2008, 08:52 PM

10,219 posts, read 15,931,403 times
LOL good thing you clarified "Central American" as Midwestern, at first glance I thought it was the broken English of the illegals who are overtaking my state.

By far the New York/New Jersey accent, and more specifically the Long Island one, even worse than the Sopranos/Godfather one from NYC itself. It just reeks of snobbiness and elitism. Most people I've interacted with who talk with the Long Island accent are very unfriendly, pushy, and snotty sounding. I think the accent sounds very uppity and annoying like they think they are better than us locals. I'm from a part of Maryland that has a lot of transplants from the Northeast and many of us natives do not like them.

The Boston accent is also very annoying and sounds snobby and uppity. The thing is that many Southerners and blacks try to lose their accent when they are outside their communities but New Yorkers, especially Long Islanders insist on keeping their accent like it makes them better than you. The truth is a Southern accent or Ebonics does not annoy me, it does not make me think less of that person, but my view of someone immeidatley declines if they speak me in that Long Island talk. People from Long Island and Westchester are the rudest, unfriendliest, most selfish, snobbiest, most elitist people anywhere in the country if not the world, worse than people from NYC's actual five boroughs. Within NY, the "Brooklyn accent" is less annoying than Long Island.

I think a Southern accent makes someone sound very gracious, warm, and friendly. I don't really have any accent at all though I make a point to say "ya'll" instead of "you guys". I think the thing is that I associate Southern and Midwestern with more laid-back and friendly. The funniest accent is the ghetto talk though, like "whassap chu got da crack...yeah fo shizzle my dizzle homie." LOL!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.