Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-30-2021, 10:51 PM

30,976 posts, read 21,646,641 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by michaeltx9412 View Post
The South has far better chain restaurants than up North. We have Whataburger, Zaxby's, Bojangles, Buc EE's (Not a fast food chain, it's a cool, large gas station, but they are building their chains all over the South), Chuy's, Waffle House, Krispy Krunchy Chicken (only found at gas stations), Golden Chick, Cookout, Peanut Patch boiled peanuts at most gas stations,;etc.
Most of the Zaxby's closed in Oklahoma. It couldn't even make it in Oklahoma's college towns, such as Norman and Stillwater.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-30-2021, 10:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bus man View Post
Really? The Qdoba near me is still going. I'll take them over Chipotle any day.
Same here.

Old 07-30-2021, 10:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thedirtypirate View Post
To no surprise my county is in the red. Local people complain about too many chicken places and sometimes too many Mexican places.

Old 07-31-2021, 10:54 AM

4,540 posts, read 2,786,030 times
The only southern chain I wish we had up north is Pollo Tropical.

You all can keep Waffle House, Krystal, and all that.

Last edited by mjlo; 07-31-2021 at 12:45 PM..

Old 07-31-2021, 12:34 PM

1,168 posts, read 778,148 times
I think it's an unpopular opinion but chain restaurants are usually just fine to me. The vast majority of small businesses are overpriced and a lot of them secretly use some of those same commercialized ingredients that we like to criticize the big names for.

Old 07-31-2021, 11:01 PM

3,454 posts, read 3,380,510 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StillwaterTownie View Post
Del Taco opened up in my town last year. It doesn't appear to be as popular as Taco Bell. Along with Taco Bell, Chick fil-A is where it's at.
That is too bad to hear. Since to me, there's no doubt Del Taco is better than Taco Bell, per what I've tried from both chains. I hope down the road, business gets better for that Del Taco.

In the Midwest with the exception of near Detroit, sadly they seemed to have pulled out of most places where they used to have a location or 2. I.e. Saint Louis, Oak Lawn (IL), Mishawaka (IN), etc.

Old 08-02-2021, 02:42 AM

1,545 posts, read 1,874,930 times
Coming into this Late but North Carolina got some of the BEST CHAINS(though most of what I'm going to name is going to be local and regional)
Biscuitville
(really delicious ass biscuits, grits, chicken biscuits, baked goods, pancakes, literally quality every time with ingredients all from NC, VA and that's it, think right now it's only in NC, some parts of VA and some parts of SC
Rise Biscuits & Donuts
Biscuits are TOP NOTCH donuts are ok, when they first opened in Durham NC their donuts was absolute FIRE, but they have expanded since then, still mostly in the triangle region with locations in a few other states, I know there's a few in Texas for sure. but soon as they expanded the donuts for some reason just didn't hit the same but the biscuits are still 20 out of 10 lol
Alpaca(aka Mami Nora's)
Peruvian chain and it is absolutely delicious, really doesn't miss, I usually get the quarter dark, rice and beans and plantains, and then smoother that sh&% with the cilantro green hot sauce, OR the lomo saltado(IT'S FUEGO) this is mostly in the triangle area with a few locations outside of the triangle.
Cookout

It's the south, and things aren't always open, cookout is your late night friend you can depend on. I'm not gonna lie and say it's just the best, but cookout hits the spots that you need hit, 5 dollar combos, that come with two sides and a drink, and they are soooooooooooooo MANY options! not just the food but over 60+ different shakes
(side note not a southern chain but CULVER's(think it's a midwest) is better than shake shack, got a lot of transplants here and they really hyped it up, but Culvers gives you basically the same exact thing except it's 8 bucks for a combo, and shake shack is like 9 dollars for just the burger lol)
Duck Donuts
People internationally love Krispy Kreme but Duck Donuts are just a whole different level, Started out in the OBX in Duck but they have expanded, up and down the east coast and a sprinkle in the west, made to order and are delicious every time.
Bojangles
Popeyes is OK but greasy, KFC is TRASH,churches chicken is unGODLY (biscuits are blessed tho) BUT Bojangles is quality(location pending lol) spiced right, mouth doesn't get filled with a 32 oz cup of grease when you bite into it, the supremes breading to meat ratio is also solid(went to popeyes and got mostly breading)
(another side note, not a NC chain but Publix really REALLY has some delicious chicken and wings, the sriracha honey and the lemon pepper are FIRE)
Char-Grill
Burger and Dog joint flamed grilled old fashioned type of joint, I hit it up on Wednesdays where they have the 2 dollars special(used to be 1.50), burger 2 dollars, fries 2 dollars shake 2 dollars, etc you get the point
another side note(started in Ohio but found in the south, City BBQ)
honestly you can't lump this in with any old chain, they have real pit masters cooking delicious, tasty, mouth watering brisket low and slow (get the more cowbell and they don't offer it always but the beef ribs)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BV0yT8AUBJA

Last edited by drrckmtthws; 08-02-2021 at 03:05 AM..

Old 08-02-2021, 03:11 AM

1,094 posts, read 809,824 times
Cook Out in NC be having nice burgers.

Old 08-02-2021, 03:25 AM

1,094 posts, read 809,824 times
The difference between the North and South when it comes to chains is that the Southern chains are more chicken-focused (Chic-fil-a, Zaxbys, Bojangles, Popeyes), whereas the Northern chains are more sub-based (Jersey-Mikes, Subway, Blimpie, etc.). Both regions are big on burgers since Americans love their burgers. Five Guys seem to unite the country on premium-priced hamburgers.

Old 08-02-2021, 03:39 AM

4,505 posts, read 4,619,106 times
There's a pizza chain thru out most of Indiana called the Pizza King. Seems like just about every town in Indiana has a Pizza King. Gatti's (use to be Mr Gatti's) is a pizza chain out of Texas with locations thru out most of the South. In my opinion, the Pizza King Royal Feast with bbq sauce is better than any pizza I ever got from Mr. Gattis. Back in the 70's and 80's, Mr Gatti's was my favorite pizza place in Austin and is still in my top 5, but it's not as good as it use to be. Pizza King pizza could probably compete with some of the best pizza Chicago and New York City has to offer.

Last edited by Ivory Lee Spurlock; 08-02-2021 at 03:49 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.