Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-21-2021, 10:57 AM

7,736 posts, read 5,513,631 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by EscAlaMike View Post
I prefer Moe's over Chipotle.

I used to really like Qdoba, but they shut most of them down.

The one reason I would ever put Moe's over Chipotle is that they sell a thing called a "stacker" or something like that which is essentially just a higher quality Crunchwrap Supreme from Taco Bell.

I wish Cookout would proceed further north. We have a small chain of places in philadelphia called Nifty Fifties, which is essentially the same thing, but Cookout has better fries and also sells BBQ. I also like Bojangles biscuits a lot and think their breakfast sandwiches / chicken biscuits are a cut above the average fast food place. Always wanted to try Whataburger. I don't really eat fast food often though. I feel like people in the north generally eat less of it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-21-2021, 07:03 PM

511 posts, read 399,731 times
The South has far better chain restaurants than up North. We have Whataburger, Zaxby's, Bojangles, Buc EE's (Not a fast food chain, it's a cool, large gas station, but they are building their chains all over the South), Chuy's, Waffle House, Krispy Krunchy Chicken (only found at gas stations), Golden Chick, Cookout, Peanut Patch boiled peanuts at most gas stations,;etc.

Old 07-21-2021, 08:26 PM

10,221 posts, read 15,917,484 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by annie_himself View Post
Chain restaurants are garbage no matter where they are.
I disagree. There are some great mostly Southern chains like Waffle House, Cracker Barrel and Sonic and smaller ones like Chicken Salad Chick, Zaxby's, etc.

Even the fast food places that started in the South like Chick-fil-A, Popeyes, Sonic, Raisin Canes, Krystal, etc are better than the ones started in the Northeast or West Coast like McDonalds, Taco Bell and Burger King. Many people from outside the South make a point to stop at Waffle House and Cracker Barrel on trips.

Old 07-21-2021, 09:19 PM

1,485 posts, read 2,251,445 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Lennox 70 View Post
I disagree. There are some great mostly Southern chains like Waffle House, Cracker Barrel and Sonic and smaller ones like Chicken Salad Chick, Zaxby's, etc.

Even the fast food places that started in the South like Chick-fil-A, Popeyes, Sonic, Raisin Canes, Krystal, etc are better than the ones started in the Northeast or West Coast like McDonalds, Taco Bell and Burger King. Many people from outside the South make a point to stop at Waffle House and Cracker Barrel on trips.
Southern chains suck. Culver’s, B-Bops, Maid Rite etc are worlds better than the nuclear waste served in the South.

Old 07-21-2021, 09:24 PM

3,444 posts, read 3,371,174 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thedirtypirate View Post
The one reason I would ever put Moe's over Chipotle is that they sell a thing called a "stacker" or something like that which is essentially just a higher quality Crunchwrap Supreme from Taco Bell.

I wish Cookout would proceed further north. We have a small chain of places in philadelphia called Nifty Fifties, which is essentially the same thing, but Cookout has better fries and also sells BBQ. I also like Bojangles biscuits a lot and think their breakfast sandwiches / chicken biscuits are a cut above the average fast food place. Always wanted to try Whataburger. I don't really eat fast food often though. I feel like people in the north generally eat less of it.
Moe's is one of those chains I've always wanted to try, but hadn't quite done so for whatever reason. Maybe someday I'll be near one, and try it. And that Crunchwrap-type menu item (The Stacker?), sounds like something where I'd want to try the version Moe's has of that to see how it compares.

Someone else in this thread recently mentioned Qdoba, and I agree as far as Chipotle-style chains go, that I always liked them a little more myself. Too bad most of their locations have closed, in more recent years. Also I agree with you, that I wish Cookout and Whataburger would expand further north myself! Supposedly, I heard a recent online rumor that company was considering expanding into the Kansas City area, for whatever reason. And for those who hadn't heard (though I think some may've heard this by now), about a year or 2 ago some Chicago private equity company bought out Whataburger. Not sure if one day for all I know, they will expand into more new areas besides KC.

There are some good chains that didn't start in the South, though. Such as Culver's, Casey's (gas station chain out of Iowa), Taco John's (I think they started in Cheyenne, Wyoming? not sure), to name examples. And probably more, I'm forgetting.

Finally to TacoSoup, yes I am aware that Hardee's used to be its own thing separate from Carl's Jr. And not part of the parent company of today, CKE. It's why a lot of their locations used to serve fried chicken, but that today most if not all *no longer do.

And to KathrynAragon, yep no worries if you accidentally said Georgia in that past post. Since yep, Chattanooga is indeed slightly north of that border area, for Tennessee and Georgia.

*- I supposedly once heard talk, that select Hardee's in rural Virginia and North Carolina serve fried chicken. I doubt today, there are many Hardee's (if any!) still serving fried chicken. Back in the day I remember liking Hardee's fried chicken(the one time I ever tried it, I think that was before Carl's bought Hardee's), and was sad that was never brought back.

Old 07-21-2021, 09:27 PM

730 posts, read 814,580 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Lennox 70 View Post

Sonic got its start in Shawnee, Oklahoma, so I'm not sure I'd consider it a Southern chain.

https://sonicfranchises.com/research...anchise-story/

Burger King is a Southern chain, starting in Florida in 1954 and not expanding outside of Florida until 1959.

https://www.referenceforbusiness.com...rporation.html

Old 07-21-2021, 10:24 PM

511 posts, read 399,731 times
Tons of businesses and fast food chains got their start in the South.

Both Circle-K and 7-Eleven were founded in Texas

Raisin' Canes started in Louisiana.

Love's Travel Stop started in Oklahoma.

Church's Chicken started in San Antonio, Texas.

Chick-Fil-A is based in Georgia.

Golden Corral started in Fayetteville, North Carolina.

Fuddrucker's started in Texas.

Gus World Famous Chicken is a Memphis, Tennessee based chain.

Basically all the coolest stuff originated in the South

Old 07-21-2021, 10:28 PM

8,975 posts, read 10,206,613 times
Thankfully Olive Garden is in the North AND South

Old 07-22-2021, 02:31 AM

323 posts, read 259,866 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluefox View Post
Thankfully Olive Garden is in the North AND South
Love me some Olive Garden. I could go for a "Tour of Italy" entree right about now.

Another chain I love is The Cheescake Factory...yum!

Old 07-22-2021, 01:13 PM

16,553 posts, read 10,618,310 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
I just want to point out that Chattanooga, TN is on the border of TN and GA.

HAV-r-de-GRACE. I think back in 2014 I said "HAV-e-de-GRACE" but I left out the slight R sound - LOL. But you won't get stared at weirdly if you say "HAV-e-de-GRACE." LOL Just don't say HAVVER duh grace!
I've lived in Maryland for 27 years, and apparently I've been saying it wrong all this time. I've called it "HAV-r de grace" but apparently it's "HAV-r dee grace."
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.