Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-22-2021, 09:08 PM

12,766 posts, read 18,381,699 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMatl View Post
No, most of us know from good Italian. Not too many Southern transplants to Brooklyn, The Bronx and Valley Stream either. Those are locals with vanilla palates supporting these locations.
Its low income people for the most part. Well-to-do ppl are not going to bad areas for Olive Garden
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-22-2021, 09:18 PM

Quote:
This is possibly the most ridiculous, uninformed thing I've seen posted in a while. You are simply not qualified to make such a preposterous claim. Chains tend to cluster in high growth areas, and mostly stear clear of stagnant or declining regions. And we also know our local joints rock.
& im unqualified? My parents are chefs but, cool.

Whatever man. Have fun with yr southern food. I’m gonna stay right here with my northern food.

Old 07-22-2021, 09:30 PM

9,818 posts, read 7,933,624 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jdawg8181 View Post
Thats fine but I didnt think ppl visited the South specifically for food. In the North ppl come specifically for food … nyc: little italy/NY pizza, katz’ deli, juniors cheesecake, chinatown, li/boston/ct: lobster rolls, philly: philly cheesesteaks, maine: lobsters, boston: chowdah … what are ppl coming to the South for? I’d wager the beaches are a large part of it. Sure maybe the food’s good, but ppl are not specifically coming for that.Ppl literally visit Nortern cities specifically for the food.
I've got news for you - people literally visit almost everywhere for the food, it's a large segment of travel now. The South is famous for all kinds of comfort food made with fresh seasonal ingredients, amazing seafood, wonderful BBQ, authentic ethnic food and so much more. Basically anything you can think of.

Old 07-22-2021, 09:34 PM

Quote:
& im unqualified? My parents are chefs but, cool.

Whatever man. Have fun with yr southern food. I’m gonna stay right here with my northern food.
Who cares if your parents are chefs, you made a ridiculous, totally uninformed claim about restaurant quality in the South. I stand by what I posted.

Old 07-22-2021, 09:38 PM

626 posts, read 464,255 times
Quote:
Thats fine but I didnt think ppl visited the South specifically for food. In the North ppl come specifically for food … nyc: little italy/NY pizza, katz’ deli, juniors cheesecake, chinatown, li/boston/ct: lobster rolls, philly: philly cheesesteaks, maine: lobsters, boston: chowdah … what are ppl coming to the South for? I’d wager the beaches are a large part of it. Sure maybe the food’s good, but ppl are not specifically coming for that. Ppl literally visit Nortern cities specifically for the food.

You can't be serious. Other than maayybbee NYC nobody is going to those cities specifically only for food. Or do you mean like driving in from their suburb a few miles away? Those places you named receive a pitiful amount of tourists for their sizes anyways. Except NYC of course.

Old 07-22-2021, 09:51 PM

Quote:
Who cares if your parents are chefs, you made a ridiculous, totally uninformed claim about restaurant quality in the South. I stand by what I posted.
Here are the states with Michelin star restaurants:

California (609)
New York State (491)
Illinois (171)
District of Columbia (124)

Some might argue Wash DC is the South. The rest arent. So the North has higher rated food. Its a matter of opinion on whether on you agree but the pros lean north

Old 07-22-2021, 09:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by popka View Post
You can't be serious. Other than maayybbee NYC nobody is going to those cities specifically only for food. Or do you mean like driving in from their suburb a few miles away? Those places you named receive a pitiful amount of tourists for their sizes anyways. Except NYC of course.
I drive from LI to Maine a few times a yr for lobster. Ppl are absolutely doing it

Old 07-22-2021, 09:55 PM

6,222 posts, read 3,600,729 times
Quote:
No, most of us know from good Italian. Not too many Southern transplants to Brooklyn, The Bronx and Valley Stream either. Those are locals with vanilla palates supporting these locations.
The Bronx (aside from Belmont) is not exactly filled with options for real Italian/Italian-American food

Old 07-22-2021, 10:04 PM

Quote:

California (609)
New York State (491)
Illinois (171)

Some might argue Wash DC is the South. The rest arent. So the North has higher rated food. Its a matter of opinion on whether on you agree but the pros lean north
Michelin is extremely limited in their U.S. coverage, and I seriously doubt that you only frequent these type of restaurants. This means nothing to the large majority of people. Food & Wine and Bon Appétit magazines are what people follow.

Old 07-22-2021, 10:07 PM

626 posts, read 464,255 times
Quote:

California (609)
New York State (491)
Illinois (171)

Michelin only rates restaurants in certain areas. Isn't that widely known by now? It has to do with how populated these legacy cities were back when they started rating restaurants. There's actually a pretty big controversy about them not rating more areas like they should be doing. Just Google it.

Do you think there wouldn't be any Michelin starred restaurants anywhere in the South if they rated them there? And where's Boston and Philadelphia? They dont rate in those cities either so I guess they don't have good food?? Of course NYC has the best food in the country. Outside of that it gets much more competitive.

Let me know when you're ready for that list of Southern and Northeastern cities so you can see how many more good food cities the South has compared to the Northeast. Keep in mind I was born in NYC and live in both NYC and Miami and I love both the Northeast and the South. I'm just telling it like it is. It really is just all opinions anyways..

Last edited by popka; 07-22-2021 at 11:04 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.