Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-03-2014, 06:37 AM

5,294 posts, read 6,060,659 times

Advertisements

I think there are also some enclosed malls that are so successful they are safe from the trend of decline, at least for the time being. But on the whole, even malls that are technically healthy now I've notice subtle differences in over the past 10 years.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-03-2014, 11:23 AM

14,186 posts, read 22,738,907 times
I think the next step for shopping malls is to have stores both inside and outside. The "lifestyle" additions on the outsides of malls are a step in that direction, but what I ultimately envision is the outside of the mall having storefronts with both inside and outside entrances, all surrounding an indoor atrium with smaller stores, a food court, a stage, and maybe even a nightclub or two.

Malls don't have to die. They simply have to adapt.

Old 09-03-2014, 11:26 AM

2,694 posts, read 3,188,830 times
Not so sure about Chicago since most of the malls are in the suburbs, but, back in my native St. Louis area, there's Crestwood. It's even been photographed:
Crestwood Court: Post-Apocalyptic Portraits of the Abandoned Mall (PHOTOS) | Riverfront Times

Old 09-04-2014, 08:08 PM

4,540 posts, read 2,783,284 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LovinDecatur View Post
There was an interesting feature on CBS Sunday Morning a couple of months ago about the state of the American mall. As a concept they seem to have run their course; if I remember correctly, no new malls have been built since the early 2000s. They also said that they estimate that 50% of malls operating today will be closed within 10 years.
This cant be right, a brand new enclosed mall was just built in The Bronx, New York and the Mall of America if planning an expansion. There has to be other examples of enclosed malls built since the 2000s.

Old 09-04-2014, 08:49 PM

16,554 posts, read 10,621,516 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mjlo View Post
Holy Crap that's fantastic! It's definitely a good read, but i'm looking for malls that are still standing and somewhat operational too, this is just abandoned malls.
Last I checked, Owings Mills Mall in Owings Mills, MD (suburban Baltimore) was still operational, though nearly vacant. Certain high-profile crimes, plus competition from Security Square Mall and Towson Town Center Mall, is what has (almost) done them in.

Just a few months ago, Frederick Towne Mall (in Frederick, MD) closed, except for the Boscovs and Home Depot (two anchors). For a time, there was only a single store (a Hallmark store) still operational. It couldn't survive competition from Francis Scott Key Mall and the changing demographics of its surrounding neighborhood. It's supposed to be torn down and rebuilt as a Walmart, though I believe it's still standing as of right now.

Old 09-04-2014, 09:23 PM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,563 posts, read 81,147,605 times
Our nearest mall is thriving, and in a constant upgrade/expansion. In fact, the JC Penney there is closing after 55 years, not as part of their financial woes, but because the landlord considers them to not be up to his upscale vision. They tried to buy out the lease, but ended up having to wait until it expired.

J.C. Penney store at Bellevue Square closing | Business & Technology | The Seattle Times

The Bellevue Collection

Old 09-04-2014, 09:28 PM

233 posts, read 374,070 times
Yorkville in Lombard, IL is not so much dying per-say ... however it is set up as a very large, indoor multi-level mall - however it is used by almost locals only. I think it is the largest "quiet" mall I've ever been in. It is somewhat of an upper-class mall in an affluent area of Chicagoland, but larger regional and malls like Woodfield in Schaumburg, and Oakbrook Center, really take away from it's regional potential as these are often visited by internationals visiting the city.

Old 09-05-2014, 09:50 AM

20 posts, read 30,150 times
Worst one I've ever seen is Mall of Memphis.

Old 09-05-2014, 10:07 AM

555 posts, read 861,905 times
interesting thread. I also have a fascination with abandoned structures. i wish deadmalls had more pictures! very cool stuff...

Old 09-05-2014, 10:50 AM

5,294 posts, read 6,060,659 times
I know there's Westshore Mall in Holland Michigan that has got to be hovering around 20% vacancy. But I think that has more to do with two newer malls nearby that opened around 2000.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.