Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-03-2014, 09:01 PM

4 posts, read 5,444 times

Advertisements

I wouldn't know as I have lived south my whole life. But all you hear from southern weather lovers here is that how blessed we are to have "better" weather because we don't need to shovel snow like those up in north.

But do you really need to though shovel snow there? I would assume those who live in apartments are automatically free of that. But does it really matter is the rest does it or not? What purpose does it serve? Does anything of significance really happen if you don"t?

Last edited by MuseumCat; 09-03-2014 at 09:22 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-03-2014, 09:12 PM

11,998 posts, read 12,938,715 times
I have only a few feet of sidewalk to shovel (or $10-20 bucks to pay someone) and eventually my car to dig out. It's true some neighbors don't bother but others will eventually do it for them. The streets are plowed, although being on a side street it can take longer. I remember during the blizzard of '96 neighbors had to shovel our own street but it was kind of fun haha.

Old 09-03-2014, 09:16 PM

What if you kept your car in the garage?

Last edited by MuseumCat; 09-03-2014 at 09:25 PM..

Old 09-03-2014, 09:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MuseumCat View Post
What if you kept your car in a garage?
If you live in a high rise in the city and keep your car in a garage then you will really not need to shovel or dig out anything.

Old 09-03-2014, 09:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2e1m5a View Post
If you live in a high rise in the city and keep your car in a garage then you will really not need to shovel or dig out anything.
Oh, I assumed you were speaking of your house which is what I was talking about. I tend to associate big cities with public transportation so I didn't think of that.

Old 09-03-2014, 09:25 PM

300 posts, read 441,402 times
If you live in a town or rural area you're responsible for your own driveway, sidewalk, and getting snow off of your car if you don't have a garage. Having a snow blower is extremely useful, especially if you have a large driveway. In big storms it can take an hour for me just to be able to get my car out of my driveway.

Glad to be moving south soon. I HATE snow anymore. I live on a dirt road that often isn't even plowed for an entire day, leaving me stranded at home. It isn't so bad if you live in town.

Old 09-03-2014, 09:26 PM

7,055 posts, read 19,312,201 times
I haven't shoveled snow in years. Not that I'd mind it. It's nice to get out in the crisp winter air. Going out for a long walk after a snow is quite enjoyable.

Back when I lived in the burbs and owned a car it rarely took more than 5-10 min to dig the car out. Less to clear the sidewalks (most of the time a broom would do the trick for that).

Old 09-03-2014, 09:35 PM

3,517 posts, read 5,318,998 times
Lived in Rochester for 30 years. Snow shovel in the garage, snow shovel in the car. Yes. Unless you buy a snowblower, which is pointless for dustings or ice.

It sits inside for that day I drive up North during the holiday season and have to dig my car out of a ditch. And that's claiming being an expert at snow driving.

Old 09-03-2014, 09:40 PM

4,361 posts, read 7,077,634 times
People in the far northern prairie states/ provinces, keep their car engines or batteries(?) attached to "block heater" machines in their garage, to pre-heat them so they will start easier in cold weather. Tire traction is another consideration. Before the invention of "all weather" tires, motorists used to have to put on deeper-traction "snow tires" before snow was expected, and then change back to "regular traction" tires in the Springtime.

Old 09-03-2014, 09:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MuseumCat View Post
Oh, I assumed you were speaking of your house which is what I was talking about. I tend to associate big cities with public transportation so I didn't think of that.
Well if you have a house with a garage you'd still need to clear the driveway to get out. But yes, when it snows more people take public transit which can cause delays.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.