Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-01-2008, 07:04 AM

5,296 posts, read 6,470,886 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by internat View Post
Semantics is the study of meanings in a language. The words can be compared but do not mean the same thing. An agnostic believes that it is impossible to know whether a god exists. Atheists believe god or gods do not exist.
Ok Mr Dictionary
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-01-2008, 08:07 AM

90,297 posts, read 120,711,654 times
Quote:
have no problem with religion when it promotes tolerance. However, most religions seem very intolerant. For example, religions are the cause for just about every war throughout history, and most violence. Also, many religious people today are very intolerant of atheists or people who don't agree with them. The fear of God and Hell, and social acceptance is the main reason religion is still so popular.
From bigdave01

Quote:
That is a false analogy. Just because A (Communism) and B (Atheism) share similarities, and A has C (responsible of millions of deaths), does not result in B having C.

People were killed for a lot of different reasons. They were not killed in the name of Atheism. Atheism is not organised under a common doctrine (belief system).
The first quote is what I was responding to. No, no one was killed in the name of atheism, but it was not religious people who did the killing in those instances (Hitler and Stalin)

Old 01-01-2008, 10:35 AM

1,763 posts, read 5,996,520 times
Quote:
That is a false analogy. Just because A (Communism) and B (Atheism) share similarities, and A has C (responsible of millions of deaths), does not result in B having C.

People were killed for a lot of different reasons. They were not killed in the name of Atheism. Atheism is not organised under a common doctrine (belief system).
I would have to agree with this assessment.

The murderous regimes of Hitler and Stalin probably have more in common with the religious & fanatical zeal of the crusades, than they have in common with the more secular & peaceful nations of today.

Old 01-01-2008, 10:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigdave01 View Post
Here is a map based on what religion:

I think this map vindicates Tesaje's earlier comments about the bible belt. Note: It the area in red!!!

Old 01-01-2008, 10:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Rankin View Post
I would have to agree with this assessment.

The murderous regimes of Hitler and Stalin probably have more in common with the religious & fanatical zeal of the crusades, than they have in common with the more secular & peaceful nations of today.
Well, they weren't religious people, either one of them, which was my point. I was disagreeing with this statement:

Quote:
For example, religions are the cause for just about every war throughout history, and most violence.
What they did might resemble what has been done in the name of religion, but that is not the point. It WASN'T done in the name of religion.

Old 01-01-2008, 10:59 AM

Quote:
I think this map vindicates Tesaje's earlier comments about the bible belt. Note: It the area in red!!!

Quote:
TesBible belt usually is understood to refer to the evangelical fundamentalist Christian denominations.
(Tesaje)

Quote:
According to whose definition?
(pittnurse70)

No response to my question. I think it's Tesaje's definition.

Here is what Wikipedia has to say:

Although exact boundaries do not exist, it is generally considered[citation needed] to cover much of the area stretching from Texas in the southwest, northwest to Kansas, north to most of Missouri, northeast to Virginia, and southeast to northern Florida.

Tweedie (1978) defines the Bible Belt in terms of the audience for religious television. He finds two belts, one more eastern that stretches from central Florida through Alabama, Tennessee, Kentucky, Georgia, North and South Carolina, and into Virginia, and another that is more western, moving from central Texas to the Dakotas, but concentrated in Texas, Arkansas, Louisiana, Oklahoma, Kansas, Missouri, and Mississippi. Notably absent from this belt, however, is the area of Saint Louis, MO, South Texas, New Orleans, LA, and the Cajun Country Region in Louisiana, where Catholicism is predominant.[4]

In terms of demographics, the belt may in fact be most accurately described as extending westward to include most of West Texas and Eastern New Mexico, and perhaps even farther into areas of southern New Mexico settled by Texans.

[edit] "Buckle" of the Bible Belt
Several locations are occasionally referred to as the "Buckle of the Bible Belt":

Dallas-Fort Worth, Texas home to three major evangelical seminaries, Dallas Theological Seminary, Southwestern Baptist Theological Seminary and Criswell College; Southern Methodist University; the conservative Catholic University of Dallas; and several of America's largest megachurches including the Potter's House pastored by T.D Jakes.
Greenville, South Carolina, home of Bob Jones University
Nashville, Tennessee, home to the headquarters of many denominations, including the Southern Baptist Convention, the National Association of Free Will Baptists and the United Methodist Church's Publishing House, is most frequently termed the "Buckle of the Bible Belt" (in addition, it is referred to as the "Protestant Vatican").
Memphis, Tennessee, home of Church of God in Christ and Bellevue Baptist Church, one of the largest in the Southern Baptist Convention.
Dayton, Tennessee, site of the Scopes Monkey Trial and home of Bryan College
Charlotte, North Carolina, home of Billy Graham and home of headquarters for African Methodist Episcopal Zion National and International Offices, home of mother house of Charles Emanuel "Daddy" Grace's United House of Prayer for All People
Cleveland, Tennessee, home of Lee University and the Church of God International Offices
Springfield, Missouri, home of the Assemblies of God and the Baptist Bible Fellowship.
Lynchburg, Virginia, home of Jerry Falwell's ministry and Liberty University
Virginia Beach, Virginia, home of Regent University and the 700 Club with Pat Robertson
Tulsa, Oklahoma, home of Oral Roberts University and the ministries of Kenneth Hagin and Billy James Hargis
Abilene, Texas, home of Abilene Christian University (Church of Christ), Hardin-Simmons University and McMurry (Methodist) University
Lubbock, Texas, which has more churches per capita than anywhere else in the nation.[5]
Portales, New Mexico, which is home to 39 Christian institutions.
There are also several locations outside the Bible Belt that are centers of evangelical Christian activity, many of them are often called "Exclaves of the Bible Belt". They include Prescott, Arizona; Colorado Springs, Colorado; Grand Rapids, Michigan; Wheaton, Illinois; Lancaster, Pennsylvania; and parts of Southern California, particularly Orange County.

I think you have to superimpose that map on the first map submitted that someone else posted.

Old 01-01-2008, 11:14 AM

266 posts, read 911,327 times
Religion is not the cause of war--it's the excuse for war. Man's "fallen" nature is the cause of war. Or if that sounds too religious, I think we all can agree, atheists and Christians, that there is no perfect person on this Earth, and that human capacity to do wrong is what causes war.

Intolerance has become almost a meaningless term. It has come to mean "you don't like or accept my lifestyle or beliefs, so you are intolerant." I would define it as being rude or worse (such as violence, discrimination) to a person who is different than yourself. This is a common failing of our human nature, for both religious and non-religious people. I have a wide circle of friends and acquaintances, some of them very religious, some not at all, and everywhere in between, and I don't see any significant difference in the level of tolerance among religious and non-religious people.

Old 01-01-2008, 11:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pittnurse70 View Post
Well, they weren't religious people, either one of them, which was my point. I was disagreeing with this statement:

For example, religions are the cause for just about every war throughout history, and most violence. .
I would have to agree with you on that. They have been the cause of many wars, but not every war.

Old 01-01-2008, 12:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Rankin View Post
I would have to agree with you on that. They have been the cause of many wars, but not every war.
Thank you. I would say neither World War, Korea or Viet Nam was a "religious" war. I don't think this mess in Iraq is, either.

Old 01-01-2008, 04:48 PM

1,149 posts, read 5,634,222 times
Ridiculing me will not make you more convincing. Instead of your argumentum ad hominem address the substance or produce an argument against the claim. I have valid arguments. You have not.

Quote:
Originally Posted by StuckPA View Post
Ok Mr Dictionary
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.