Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which city best represents the gateway to the Deep South
Little Rock 4 6.78%
Memphis 26 44.07%
Huntsville 1 1.69%
Chattanooga 1 1.69%
Greenville 0 0%
Charlotte 19 32.20%
Other, please explain. 8 13.56%
Voters: 59. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-08-2014, 08:12 AM

2,823 posts, read 4,494,889 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
I think if Durham were located where Charlotte is, I'd be tempted to group it with Atlanta and Birmingham in this regard.
Yeah, I could definitely see that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-08-2014, 08:17 AM

1,394 posts, read 2,248,335 times
Since everyone loves my maps so much....I thought I'd contionue educating everyone.....

I grew up in central Florida even though most of my family is from Kentucky ( another southern state ) Following is my map of where "predominantly" southern or more "southern-ish" culture can be found as opposed to outside influences. But even so, Florida is a tricky one to pin down as they're are pockets of outside influences in predominantly southern areas and vice versa...

Old 10-08-2014, 08:31 AM

5,287 posts, read 5,791,370 times
I know people from Dallas and I know people from Kansas and Nebraska. Personally I see no real cultural similarities whatsoever between the former and the latter two.

Dallas might be somewhat of a plains city, but it's still a southern (and Texan) city first and foremost. No doubt about that.

Old 10-08-2014, 08:52 AM

13,384 posts, read 25,751,740 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mega man View Post
I know people from Dallas and I know people from Kansas and Nebraska. Personally I see no real cultural similarities whatsoever between the former and the latter two.

Dallas might be somewhat of a plains city, but it's still a southern (and Texan) city first and foremost. No doubt about that.
Im having a hard time grasping your arguements. I get the impression youre arguing for the sake of arguing. Youre trying to distance Atlanta from the South while roping Dallas and Houston closer into it. Dallas and especially Houston have southern elements but neither is anywhere near as Southern as Atlanta. Not even close.

Also, I live in Dallas and travel to Nebraska and Kansas monthly. There are a lot more similarities between them than say Dallas and Mississippi/Alabama. The one and only exception is the black community. Dallas has a large black community, the Great Plains states dont.

Ive also noticed African-Americans in Dallas are alot quicker to identify as Southern vs. other racial groups. The other groups, not so much.

Old 10-08-2014, 10:12 AM

Hey Mutiny, this is pretty random, but doesn't Columbia remind you of Raleigh if RTP never existed? If RTP never came into the picture, I could see a lot more similarities between the two cities and I'm sure they would roughly be the same size. It's interesting to compare Raleigh to other cities. It seems like more disagree when I compare it to Richmond, but Columbia could possibly be more similar if RTP never existed.

Old 10-08-2014, 10:52 AM

37,882 posts, read 41,970,495 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JayJayCB View Post
Hey Mutiny, this is pretty random, but doesn't Columbia remind you of Raleigh if RTP never existed? If RTP never came into the picture, I could see a lot more similarities between the two cities and I'm sure they would roughly be the same size. It's interesting to compare Raleigh to other cities. It seems like more disagree when I compare it to Richmond, but Columbia could possibly be more similar if RTP never existed.
I completely agree. Even as recently as 1990, the two cities were around the same size in terms of their urbanized area, and they have many similarities in the city proper (both are planned fall line capital cities with downtown grid systems, were chosen as state capitals around the same time [1786 for Columbia, 1788 for Raleigh], have main streets that terminate at their state capitals, have lively warehouse districts in their cores, have a similar number and types of colleges and universities [a large state school, two HBCUs, an all women's college, etc.], have large state mental health campuses downtown on the verge of being redeveloped, etc.). It was the tech boom of that decade that truly put Raleigh and the Triangle on the path that it's on today.

Old 10-08-2014, 12:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
I completely agree. Even as recently as 1990, the two cities were around the same size in terms of their urbanized area, and they have many similarities in the city proper (both are planned fall line capital cities with downtown grid systems, were chosen as state capitals around the same time [1786 for Columbia, 1788 for Raleigh], have main streets that terminate at their state capitals, have lively warehouse districts in their cores, have a similar number and types of colleges and universities [a large state school, two HBCUs, an all women's college, etc.], have large state mental health campuses downtown on the verge of being redeveloped, etc.). It was the tech boom of that decade that truly put Raleigh and the Triangle on the path that it's on today.
Really, it's amazing to picture the Triangle if RTP never existed. Can you imagine? Cary would still be that small town to the west, Apex even smaller! Tobacco might still be huge in Durham, southern drawls would be more common, not as much suburban sprawl, etc. But with RTP firmly on the scene, it's more common for people to call the Triangle a "mini-Northern Virginia" or some comparing it to the Richmond metro.

Last edited by JayJayCB; 10-08-2014 at 12:33 PM..

Old 10-08-2014, 12:21 PM

32,113 posts, read 34,732,040 times
Quote:
It's more like Charlotte would be another Columbia. In 1960, Mecklenburg County had a population of 272,111 compared to Richland County's 200,102. Richland County was actually larger than Wake County then; Wake had a population of 169,082.

Raleigh-Durham was destined to become what it became because of tobacco money. That really became the springboard that helped launch its local economy off into different directions. Without tobacco, there would be no Duke, Chapel Hill would be considerably poorer, no $1 billion endowment at Wake, etc. I know that Furman and Davidson are both part of the Duke Endowment, but I remember reading an article on James Duke, and he wasn't certain whether he wanted Furman or Trinity to take on his family name. Trinity got the name and the rest is history. It kind of makes you wonder how Greenville would have developed had the Duke name (and the money) gone to Furman.

Old 10-08-2014, 12:43 PM

32,113 posts, read 34,732,040 times
Quote:
This is very true. Speaking for North Carolina, this state never had a very high African-American population compared to other southern states for a variety of reasons.
In 1860, VA and NC had higher percentages than border south/Upper South states yet lower than all of the Lower South states. By total population it looked like this:

Virginia - 548,907 (34.39%)
Georgia - 465,698 (44.05%)
Alabama - 437,770 (45.40%)
Mississippi - 437,404 (55.28%)
South Carolina - 412,320 (58.59%)
North Carolina - 361,522 (36.42%)
Louisiana - 350,373 (49.49%)
Tennessee - 283,019 (25.50%)
Kentucky - 236,167 (20.44%)
Texas - 182,921 (30.27%)
Missouri - 118,503 (10.03%)
Maryland - 171,131 (24.91%)
Arkansas - 111,259 (25.55%)
Florida - 62,677 (44.63%)
Delaware - 21,167 (19.27%)

Old 10-08-2014, 01:52 PM

37,882 posts, read 41,970,495 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BajanYankee View Post
It's more like Charlotte would be another Columbia. In 1960, Mecklenburg County had a population of 272,111 compared to Richland County's 200,102. Richland County was actually larger than Wake County then; Wake had a population of 169,082.

Raleigh-Durham was destined to become what it became because of tobacco money. That really became the springboard that helped launch its local economy off into different directions. Without tobacco, there would be no Duke, Chapel Hill would be considerably poorer, no $1 billion endowment at Wake, etc. I know that Furman and Davidson are both part of the Duke Endowment. I remember reading an article on James Duke, and he wasn't certain whether he wanted Furman or Trinity to take on his family name. Trinity got the name and the rest is history. It kind of makes you wonder how Greenville would have developed had the Duke name (and the money) gone to Furman.
Characteristically, Columbia and Raleigh definitely have more in common and have similar feels in terms of geography and the built environment.

I don't think the Triangle's growth and development was inevitable, nor was it solely due to tobacco money. The major tobacco stronghold back in the day in NC was in the Triad--the state's largest metro for most of the 20th century--with the Reynolds family of Winston-Salem in particular having a lot of influence. That's how Winston-Salem was able to get Wake Forest University to relocate from the Raleigh area to Winston-Salem in the 1950's. Yet the Triangle zoomed past the Triad sometime during the last decade with no signs of slowing up. The major reason is the presence of RTP, which is the result of a collaborative effort among NC's political, business, and academic leaders. Of course tobacco money helped the universities along the way, but that in itself doesn't translate into a major jobs engine.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.