Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-31-2007, 02:32 AM

2,806 posts, read 16,370,322 times

Advertisements

NYC is very diverse but most people live in their own neighborhoods with people like themselves. I don't mind living here because I've got my tight-knit Irish neighborhood. I think LA is much more mixed than NYC, but I think housing separation still exists.

If I had to live in some neighborhood dominated by people from Guyana or Central Asia for example I probably wouldn't be so happy about my lot in life.

Old 12-31-2007, 02:33 AM

2,806 posts, read 16,370,322 times
Probably Honolulu but they hate white people and some want to break away from America.

Jersey City, NJ is also fairly integrated and evenly split among the different races (about 1/4 each white, black, hispanic, asian) although there are still major enclaves for each group. I don't know if most Americans would enjoy living in a situation like Jersey City where large portions of the population are fearful of crime, can't understand each other because of linguistic differences, and don't trust one another because of racial or ethnic differences.

We don't have much of a choice in the matter though because of the demographics of our country and where we'll be heading in the next couple of decades.

....Ah Brave new world...

Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Fairfaxian View Post
Give me a city nearly dominated by one ethnic group where any minority (not just Asians and South Indians) can integrate to easily over a diverse city whose ethnic groups either segregate themselves or unite against a particular (usually underrepresented) minority any day of the week.

The real question (at least in my search of where to live) is what is the most (willingly) racially integrated city in America?

Old 12-31-2007, 03:30 AM

655 posts, read 2,183,643 times
My money is on New York. There's some of everything here, all in respectable numbers.

Not many cities can say that.

Old 12-31-2007, 10:59 AM

1,181 posts, read 3,808,050 times
I ahven't been to any of the East Coast cities mentioned, but when I lived in Irvine (So Orange County, CA) it was very diverse. There is a huge Asian, Indian, middle East, etc population there, as well as hispanic. I loved living there, but only because the weather is greatt, and the schools were excellent. I really don't care one way or another if an area is diverse or not. It either has good schools and outdoor activities I enjoy, or it doesn't. I don't really get the whole emphasis on diversity these days.
I would never move or not move to an area based in any way on that.

Old 12-31-2007, 01:25 PM

12,974 posts, read 33,962,008 times
Definately Los Angeles. On any given day, I can go to my local Starbucks, then to Borders and a local restaraunt and hear people speaking not only English, but Russian, Hebrew, Thai, Farsi, Tagalog, Spanish, French. All just on one block in my neighborhood. I love it. I was born in Los Angeles and will stay in Los Angeles.

Old 01-01-2008, 01:56 AM

1,135 posts, read 1,208,525 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gv0928 View Post
My money is on New York. There's some of everything here, all in respectable numbers.
Not many cities can say that.
L. A. says that easy, and then some

Old 01-01-2008, 01:57 AM

1,135 posts, read 1,208,525 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by decafdave View Post
In some cities diversity has been a great help to their development (NYC for example) while in others it has greatly increased crime (LA).
Dave,...maybe you should switch back to regular

Old 01-01-2008, 12:59 PM

3,982 posts, read 10,463,360 times
not necessarily a city, but the oakland area would def be at the top.

http://factfinder.census.gov/servlet...false&-format=

Old 01-01-2008, 04:41 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,779,853 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Fairfaxian View Post
Give me a city nearly dominated by one ethnic group where any minority (not just Asians and South Indians) can integrate to easily over a diverse city whose ethnic groups either segregate themselves or unite against a particular (usually underrepresented) minority any day of the week.

The real question (at least in my search of where to live) is what is the most (willingly) racially integrated city in America?
Maybe Denver, though it has a history in the past of discrimination.

Old 01-01-2008, 05:32 PM

12,600 posts, read 9,390,917 times
Originally many immigrants traditionally came from europe and settled in the NE and Midwest. Today their descendants are at least first generation if not third and fourth generation americans. Not much new blood from europe is coming in since their standard of living is sometimes better than ours. Eastern europe is still migrating.
That said I would say NYC and Chicago are still more diverse as well as LA with its different ethnic mix (mostly asian and mexican)
And I agree, I would not call El Paso diverse. Its some 80% hispanic/mexican and the rest of that is mostly caucasian with no major ethnic group.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.