Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-20-2014, 06:58 PM

6,208 posts, read 9,213,564 times

Advertisements

All though they are not heavily concentrated in a particular area, there are some Colombians living here in the DC area.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-20-2014, 11:34 PM

3,702 posts, read 4,851,427 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tcave360 View Post
All though they are not heavily concentrated in a particular area, there are some Colombians living here in the DC area.
I had to go to that area (around DC) to find a Colombian restaurant for my wife. Over here on the eastern shore of MD all the latinos are from Mexico, Guatamala and honduras. It was kind of funny, she noticed that the people in the restaurant were Colombian, or similar in appearance (not the typical Mexican/Central American around us) the food was Colombian and when we left and headed up the road it wasn't long until we saw mountains and she had a flashback thinking she was in Colombia for a moment.

I have kind of felt that, at least around us where it is rural and most full time employment is in the assorted chicken packing plants, it draws a lot of uneducated illegals from Central America and Mexico. They really have no place else to go other then similar types of areas with similar types of $%!# work where the employers turn a blind eye to the stolen ID's and false, constantly changing papers. As far as Colombians and others from South America, A lot of them are educated and have come here correctly so of course they are going to be in and around the major cities where there is a lot of work. And before someone accuses me of putting down those other country's, the educated legal immigrants from those places will be in the cities as well. More work.

And it doesn't hurt either that 2 of the east coasts major hubs for arrivals from Latin America are Miami and NY/NJ. Miami is only a 2 1/2 hour flight from a lot of Colombia, New York area direct is about 5. When me and my wife visit Colombia this year we will either have to drive to NY/NJ for a direct flight or go from Baltimore, Washington, or Philly and connect in Miami or posible NY/NJ.

On a side note sometimes I feel that the US is only Miami, New York and Los Angeles to Latinos. I have spent a lot of time in Ven, Pan and CR and those city's always came up when people asked where in the US I was from. I'm from MD. The agents we used in Ven upon arrival by boat would ask us in conversation and it would always be followed by "Ahhh Miami" in which case Miami would be on all our papers.

Old 10-21-2014, 01:40 AM

1,424 posts, read 2,488,540 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marlinfshr View Post
I had to go to that area (around DC) to find a Colombian restaurant for my wife. Over here on the eastern shore of MD all the latinos are from Mexico, Guatamala and honduras. It was kind of funny, she noticed that the people in the restaurant were Colombian, or similar in appearance (not the typical Mexican/Central American around us) the food was Colombian and when we left and headed up the road it wasn't long until we saw mountains and she had a flashback thinking she was in Colombia for a moment.

I have kind of felt that, at least around us where it is rural and most full time employment is in the assorted chicken packing plants, it draws a lot of uneducated illegals from Central America and Mexico. They really have no place else to go other then similar types of areas with similar types of $%!# work where the employers turn a blind eye to the stolen ID's and false, constantly changing papers. As far as Colombians and others from South America, A lot of them are educated and have come here correctly so of course they are going to be in and around the major cities where there is a lot of work. And before someone accuses me of putting down those other country's, the educated legal immigrants from those places will be in the cities as well. More work.

And it doesn't hurt either that 2 of the east coasts major hubs for arrivals from Latin America are Miami and NY/NJ. Miami is only a 2 1/2 hour flight from a lot of Colombia, New York area direct is about 5. When me and my wife visit Colombia this year we will either have to drive to NY/NJ for a direct flight or go from Baltimore, Washington, or Philly and connect in Miami or posible NY/NJ.

On a side note sometimes I feel that the US is only Miami, New York and Los Angeles to Latinos. I have spent a lot of time in Ven, Pan and CR and those city's always came up when people asked where in the US I was from. I'm from MD. The agents we used in Ven upon arrival by boat would ask us in conversation and it would always be followed by "Ahhh Miami" in which case Miami would be on all our papers.
Depends on the Latinos (Mexicans are now everywhere from LA to Alaska to small town Iowa), but that's pretty accurate. If you were to watch New Years Eve on the Spanish speaking tv networks, they always do the countdown in three cities: NYC, LA and Miami. Recently they started including Houston (or was it San Antonio?). Chicago also has a very diverse Latino population.

Old 10-21-2014, 01:58 AM

1,675 posts, read 2,839,875 times
Well as a Colombian I found that only NYC and Miami has a diverse latin american population.... everywhere else is dominated by mexican people

Take north carolina, 98% of the hispanics you see are mexican, you RARELY meet or come across a hispanic that is not from mexico, then go to NYC and you find people from all over latin america, miami is the same

los angeles on the other hand is vastly dominated by mexicans

my professor told me that the big bulk of the latino population in the US is the mexican people, if you were to count mexicans and other latinos separately mexicans would still be a huge chuck of america's population, while other latinos would be barely 2% or 3% of the US population.

Old 10-21-2014, 08:14 AM

13,384 posts, read 25,747,031 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RudyOD View Post
Depends on the Latinos (Mexicans are now everywhere from LA to Alaska to small town Iowa), but that's pretty accurate. If you were to watch New Years Eve on the Spanish speaking tv networks, they always do the countdown in three cities: NYC, LA and Miami. Recently they started including Houston (or was it San Antonio?). Chicago also has a very diverse Latino population.
Its Houston. Houston has a diverse Latino population, San Antonio definitely does not. I wouldn't call Chicago's that diverse either. Chicago's Hispanic population mirrors Dallas' in a lot of ways (substitute Puerto Ricans for Salvadorans in their case). Roughly 80-85% of the Hispanic population is Mexican and for Chicago the rest is made up of mainly Puerto Ricans, Guatemalans and Ecuadorians. In Dallas its mainly Salvadorans, Hondurans, and Puerto Ricans. Houston on the other hand has large numbers of all kinds including Salvadorans, Hondurans, Guatemalans, Venezuelans, and Colombians. San Antonio, San Diego, and Phoenix are all over 90% Mexican in their Hispanic population.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irene-cd View Post
Well as a Colombian I found that only NYC and Miami has a diverse latin american population.... everywhere else is dominated by mexican people

Take north carolina, 98% of the hispanics you see are mexican, you RARELY meet or come across a hispanic that is not from mexico, then go to NYC and you find people from all over latin america, miami is the same

los angeles on the other hand is vastly dominated by mexicans

my professor told me that the big bulk of the latino population in the US is the mexican people, if you were to count mexicans and other latinos separately mexicans would still be a huge chuck of america's population, while other latinos would be barely 2% or 3% of the US population.
Ok, but you don't really know much about this country per your posts. You make a lot of assumptions and many of them are incorrect.

The largest Hispanic communities in the US (in order) are: LA, NYC, South Florida, Houston, Chicago, Dallas, Bay Area, Phoenix, San Diego, and San Antonio. Only the last three have very few non-Mexicans.

Miami and NYC are not the only places in the US with large non Mexican populations. Orlando has a large Hispanic population and its heavily Puerto Rican and South American. Houston and Los Angeles have huge non-Mexican populations but they are just overshadowed by their Mexican population because its so huge. Dallas and Chicago have less diverse Hispanic populations than LA and Houston but still have large numbers of non-Mexican Hispanics.

Its also hard to judge the nations Hispanic community when you live in North Carolina.

Old 10-22-2014, 09:23 PM

3,282 posts, read 3,793,911 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Irene-cd View Post
It seems as if you're anywhere outside South Florida or New york city you'll hardly find any colombian..... I was in California for a week and looked for a colombian restaurant all over San Diego and they didnt have one, the only one was about two hours away somewhere in los angeles!!!

I also contacted an organization for Colombians in southern California and it was located in LA and they were showing me pictures of a colombian party they had, and it was like 15 people dancing!!!

I also have a niece who is colombian in North Carolina and she tells me at her school no one is colombian except her, so people often ask her where she's from because her physical appearance is quite uncommon there as everyone in her school is either
asian, indian, white-american, black-american or mexican!

I know some parts of south florida and of course NYC will have a colombian community with colombian stores, supermarkets, etc. but you can hardly find it anywhere else, why is that?

There are quite a few Colombians in California.

I have 2 Mexican friends and one cousin married to Colombians.

I went to a Colombian festival once in Los Angeles. The people don't look so different from your average Latin American.

Old 10-22-2014, 09:27 PM

3,282 posts, read 3,793,911 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marlinfshr View Post

interesting- I have 2 professional Mexican friends living in DC and they say it is rare to meet a Mexican there. Actually, one of my friends just complained that she tried eating at a "Mexican" restaurant and that it tasted nothing like Mexican food- why? Because it is owned by Salvadoreans, and I guess Salvadoreans are the ones who open Mexican restaurants over there.

From what I have heard, Salvadoreans dominate in the DC area.

Old 10-22-2014, 10:32 PM

3,702 posts, read 4,851,427 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rosa surf View Post
interesting- I have 2 professional Mexican friends living in DC and they say it is rare to meet a Mexican there. Actually, one of my friends just complained that she tried eating at a "Mexican" restaurant and that it tasted nothing like Mexican food- why? Because it is owned by Salvadoreans, and I guess Salvadoreans are the ones who open Mexican restaurants over there.

I live on MD's eastern shore, about 3 hours from DC. It is rural corn/bean fields and a major chicken farming/processing area. Around me, the latinos are mainly Mexicans. No problem finding authentic Mexican restaurants around here though you might have to weed through the more touristy/chain franchises. I had to go into the DC area to find a Colombian restaurant as there are very few Colombians around here.

Old 10-23-2014, 07:01 AM

10,275 posts, read 10,340,269 times
Generally speaking, except for the Northeast Corridor, and Florida, Hispanic in the U.S. means Mexican. If you go to LA or Houston or Chicago or wherever, a Hispanic person is likely to be Mexican. In Florida and the Bos-Wash corridor (and especially NYC), a Hispanic person could be from anywhere, and no group dominates.

Old 10-23-2014, 12:43 PM

6,208 posts, read 9,213,564 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rosa surf View Post

I believe Langley Park here in PG County, MD has a decent concentration of Mexicans but you'll find even more of them out on the Eastern Shore. But yeah, a majority of the "Mexican" joints in DC are mainly owned by Salvadorians. The actual Mexican joints in DC are Super Tacos and Bakery (Adams Morgan) and Taqueria Distrito Federal (locations in Columbia Heights and Petworth). Overall though, the DC area's Latino population is primarily Central American and South American with some from The Islands (mostly Dominicans).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.