Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-01-2014, 07:14 PM

3,749 posts, read 4,968,226 times

Advertisements

I've often heard the two cities compared due to their industrial heritage, the "hipster" revolutions there from the 90s onward, being heavily white, having a pseudo-Midwestern vibe, the trees, bridges over the river, and so on. Do you think the two cities are like sisters that live far apart or are they totally different?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-01-2014, 07:42 PM

41 posts, read 80,877 times
It would've never occurred to me that the two were in any way related cities. I've been the the 'Burgh many times, but never to Portland, so I'm certainly no expert on this specific comparison, but my gut tells me that Pittsburgh is a harder city with harder people, it is Steel City, after all.

Also, this thread probably belongs in the city versus city subforum.

Old 12-01-2014, 08:17 PM

9,682 posts, read 9,402,860 times
Twin sisters separated at birth.

Portland : Girl where have you been and why you got on a flannel shirt and khaki pants for?

Pittsburgh : Your nose ring is clouding your judgement, at least I have a job. What have you been doing with your life?

Portland : I see you that you have kindly inherited mom's cunning ability to instill hard work and values into the conversation. Look it was nice seeing you sis. I gotta meet Deeno for a show at 1:00 A.M. Deuces.

Old 12-01-2014, 08:25 PM

43 posts, read 71,734 times
Pittsburgh is a "hipster" city??

A person on this board recommended it to me as a more conservative large city that is a good fit for a young person who appreciates the amenities of a larger city but still has morals and is of a more Christian persuasion. It also looks quite visually appealing and there are many job advertisements online for the city.
However if it is a "hipster" city that is similar to a place like Portland where marijuana is legal and there is a large amount of "stripping clubs" than I guess I have to cross it off the list.

Someone, plead tell me that these people are mistaken and Pittsburgh isn't a hipster city!?!?

Old 12-02-2014, 09:29 AM

3,291 posts, read 2,774,202 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jza1993 View Post

A person on this board recommended it to me as a more conservative large city that is a good fit for a young person who appreciates the amenities of a larger city but still has morals and is of a more Christian persuasion. It also looks quite visually appealing and there are many job advertisements online for the city.
However if it is a "hipster" city that is similar to a place like Portland where marijuana is legal and there is a large amount of "stripping clubs" than I guess I have to cross it off the list.

Someone, plead tell me that these people are mistaken and Pittsburgh isn't a hipster city!?!?
It is a live and let live type of place for the most part. A large city neighborhood called Lawrenceville, is widely considered to be a hipster haven, but overall I wouldn't say the city is.

Old 12-02-2014, 09:49 AM

2,811 posts, read 5,627,270 times
I don't see many similarities. Portland doesn't have the run down blight from yesterday's industrial era like Pittsburgh does. and more importantly, Portland has evergreen forests covering the metro area instead of Pittsburgh's deciduous trees. Portland has giant snow-capped volcanoes looming on the horizon, Pittsburgh has nothing like that. Portland has more of a crunchy granola feel to it with ultra liberal types of folks, Pittsburgh is just not that type of place.

Old 12-02-2014, 09:49 AM

2,516 posts, read 5,688,606 times
Not even close.

Old 12-02-2014, 11:07 AM

2,504 posts, read 3,379,341 times
Quote:

Saw that thread and pretty sure they mentioned that the city proper was more liberal than the surrounding area. Marijuana isn't legal (yet) in Pennsylvania, but I know several stoners from the area, for what it is worth.

Old 12-02-2014, 11:31 AM

4,059 posts, read 5,621,284 times
Quote:
Pittsburgh does have a fairly active arts community, and if you run in that circle, you'll see more hipsters and tattoos than in the general population. Perhaps likewise if you spend your time at college hangouts. But on the whole it's less hipsterish than Portland imo.

That said, even in Portland there are lots of areas where hipsters aren't very common. If I go to the Whole Foods, sure, it's heavily hipster and yuppie dominated. But at a Winco or Fred Meyer on the east side, it's working and middle class folks.

As for the broader question, I don't think the cities themselves really have much in common. Portland has some industrial areas, but it was never nearly the industrial city Pittsburgh was. Likewise, Pittsburgh has a much stronger imprint from it's higher ed institutions (Portland's most notable institutions would be Reed or Portland State vs. the much more prominant and larger Pitt/CMU).

Both cities have some interesting topology and sit at river confluences, so sure, you could pick some similarities, and you could probably carve out a similar life in either place, but I don't think anyone would ever confuse the two.

Old 12-02-2014, 11:45 AM

17,916 posts, read 24,361,392 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jm31828 View Post
I don't see many similarities. Portland doesn't have the run down blight from yesterday's industrial era like Pittsburgh does. and more importantly, Portland has evergreen forests covering the metro area instead of Pittsburgh's deciduous trees. Portland has giant snow-capped volcanoes looming on the horizon, Pittsburgh has nothing like that. Portland has more of a crunchy granola feel to it with ultra liberal types of folks, Pittsburgh is just not that type of place.
I totally agree. The fundamental criterium of a city's character is the presence or absence of volcanos on the horizon.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.