Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-09-2008, 01:45 PM

2 posts, read 3,046 times

Advertisements

Like a ton of other people here, I'm looking to relocate eventually-soonish and need some input on where to start searching.

I'm a 24 year old female clinical psychology student looking for a location to apply for internship and finish my doctorate. Right now my wife and I are living outside of the Washington DC area and are sick of the traffic and general city life, so we're looking for somewhere that's a bit more comfortable and low key, preferably with space enough to eventually support my horse and her love for breeding and training dogs while still giving me somewhere that I can work.

Finances will be limited with internship pay and student loans looming. Neither of us have or are planning to have children. As long as gas prices don't kill me I don't mind some commute in order to have a bit of space. As for weather, I hate the cold and she hates the heat, so something milder range would be good (I love snow, just need to wear about 4 layers of clothes and get stir crazy after 5+ months of winter that it seemed we had growing up in northern NY ).

Anyone have some ideas that they can throw at me to get me started? Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-09-2008, 02:38 PM

20,004 posts, read 77,384,761 times
You hate cold and she hates heat? Thats gonna be tough! I can think of places that are mild in winter (ie Tulsa), but they normally have really hot summers. How cold is too cold for you? D.C. winter conditions? Minneapolis winter conditions?

Old 01-09-2008, 03:30 PM

5,812 posts, read 18,831,224 times
Anywhere in the midwest sounds good. It depends a lot on where you can get a job. St. Louis has some suburbs where you could get some pasture room for your horse. And a house is relatively inexpensive. You get in the teens in winter and in the 90s in summer, so it would be fair to both of you probably. I think it's more of a warm weather climate than cold, though you can get both. Schools inside the city get a bad rap, but you shouldn't have to worry about that. I honestly think the midwest meets your needs more than anywhere else. You can get a decent 1 bedroom apartment/house in St. Louis for maybe $600-$700/month. I don't if St. Louis will have any internships in that area, but between St. Louis University, Washington University, and the others in the area, I would think there would be something available.

Anyway, good luck wherever you choose, I just think the midwest is a good region, and St. Louis sounds like it meets a lot of those needs, although I haven't been all over the midwest, so there probably are other midwest cities like that.

Last edited by STLCardsBlues1989; 01-09-2008 at 03:41 PM..

Old 01-09-2008, 03:47 PM

2,247 posts, read 7,029,877 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Meliae View Post
Like a ton of other people here, I'm looking to relocate eventually-soonish and need some input on where to start searching.

I'm a 24 year old female clinical psychology student looking for a location to apply for internship and finish my doctorate. Right now my wife and I are living outside of the Washington DC area and are sick of the traffic and general city life, so we're looking for somewhere that's a bit more comfortable and low key, preferably with space enough to eventually support my horse and her love for breeding and training dogs while still giving me somewhere that I can work.

Finances will be limited with internship pay and student loans looming. Neither of us have or are planning to have children. As long as gas prices don't kill me I don't mind some commute in order to have a bit of space. As for weather, I hate the cold and she hates the heat, so something milder range would be good (I love snow, just need to wear about 4 layers of clothes and get stir crazy after 5+ months of winter that it seemed we had growing up in northern NY ).

I would recommend Greater Indianapolis and/or Columbus. The job markets are excellent, there's plenty of room, the COL is the lowest among the Midwest's big cities, and the atmosphere is somewhat more laid back in comparison to DC. Winters aren't that bad, save for the occasional day of subzero temperatures or 12-inch snowstorm. Summers are definitely more pleasant, averaging about 85 degrees daily from July to September with plenty of sunshine.

Old 01-09-2008, 07:58 PM

6,044 posts, read 24,093,179 times
Do you know what schools you are considering? That would narrow it down quite a bit.

I live in the Kansas City, Missouri metro area and I love it. There is plenty to do in the city, but the country is close by. It's very affordable, too. My husband is a masters level licensed professional counselor and he had no trouble finding work when we relocated here this summer. We moved from New Jersey and he only took a 5% pay cut, which is literally less than nothing when you compare the cost of living between MO and NJ. Temperatures so far have not been bad, I think it is comparable to central/souther NJ. Certainly better than upstate NY. The traffic here is nothing compared to the east coast.

If you really want rural living, there are many places in the more rural areas that have counseling positions that not only pay fairly decently, but also do loan forgiveness, because there is such a shortage of clinicians in the more rural areas.

Old 01-09-2008, 10:45 PM

5,812 posts, read 18,831,224 times
I'd think a lot of cities in the midwest meet your needs.

Old 01-10-2008, 11:19 AM

2 posts, read 3,046 times
Sounds like the midwest is definately an idea to start looking into, thanks everyone for your input!

Old 01-10-2008, 02:20 PM

349 posts, read 1,040,488 times
Default Mid Washington

You might consider mid Washington state, mild weather and does not have the heavy rains of the west coast of the state or snow from the north. If you google it there are many cities that fit the bill. Good luck to you.
jadbad

Old 01-11-2008, 04:34 PM

1 posts, read 1,472 times
Hot and cold. That would be Colorado. 30 minutes south of Denver would be Castle Rock. Small town feeling but great for horse property. An hour north of Denver is Fort Collins (Colorado State University). People in Colorado are friendly. Over 300 days of sunshine but within 1.5 hours of Vail or 5 hours to Aspen for the best skiing in the world. Average cost of a house is $250k. Voted best singles town is Denver. Traffic sucks but not like the big cities of New York or Chicago. Jobs are prentiful. Stay away from North Denver and Old town Aurora. Bad neighborhoods.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meliae View Post

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.