Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Is Missouri or West Virginia more southern?
Missouri 29 39.73%
West Virginia 44 60.27%
Voters: 73. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-05-2015, 05:10 PM

2,122 posts, read 3,696,033 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by s.davis View Post
It's actually not subjective. It's a subject of considerable scientific, data-based study. And you are wrong, as is the above poster. Not only is a southern accent rare in Missouri geographically, by population it is nearly a statistical anomaly. In West Virgina, by contrast, it is the norm.

American English Dialects
That map isn't entirely accurate since the line should go right through Cape Girardeau rather than south of it, and people in Park Hills sure as hell don't have a southern accent. I grew up in Cape Girardeau County and I was raised around plenty of people who sounded more like Arkansas than the rest of Missouri. Now I live in West Tennessee, so believe me when I tell you I know how several different southern accents sound.

And there is a sizable amount of the population in Missouri that falls in the area covered by southern dialects. It certainly isn't a statistical anomaly.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-06-2015, 09:43 AM

2,233 posts, read 3,175,328 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by imbored198824 View Post
The area on your map probably represents close to 1/4 of the population of the state.
No it doesn't. It's less than 1/8.

Either way, it's significantly less than the proportion, and actual gross number, for that matter, of West Virginians who speak with measurable southern dialect features. (Not that that is in and of itself a definition of which state is "more southern").

Old 01-06-2015, 09:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GunnerTHB View Post
That map isn't entirely accurate since the line should go right through Cape Girardeau rather than south of it, and people in Park Hills sure as hell don't have a southern accent. I grew up in Cape Girardeau County and I was raised around plenty of people who sounded more like Arkansas than the rest of Missouri. Now I live in West Tennessee, so believe me when I tell you I know how several different southern accents sound.
I think I'll trust the professional linguists, you know, the people who study this kind of thing for a livign and have devoted years of their lives to it (as opposed to 15 minutes of off-base or heavily confimration-biased internet oppobrium) on this one. Thanks for the input though.

Old 01-06-2015, 10:26 AM

2,122 posts, read 3,696,033 times
Quote:
I think I'll trust the professional linguists, you know, the people who study this kind of thing for a livign and have devoted years of their lives to it (as opposed to 15 minutes of off-base or heavily confimration-biased internet oppobrium) on this one. Thanks for the input though.
Sure. I'm sure he took the time to actually go to the places where he put the line to see if it made sense or not.

Besides, the only part of your post I disagree with is the "statistical anomaly" part. 1/8th of the population isn't a large amount, but it is far from being considered an anomaly.

Old 01-06-2015, 10:35 AM

620 posts, read 1,236,219 times
Quote:
Hey you do realize the map you posted isn't done by a "professional linguist". Maybe it is just a map you try to use to tell everyone else they are wrong? There are OTHER dialect surveys and maps done by actual linguists. I think you should do a little more research. The creator of the map clearly states it is "just a hobby", therefore not scientific. Please do the research before you embarrass yourself further.

Old 01-06-2015, 10:37 AM

620 posts, read 1,236,219 times
Quote:
No it doesn't. It's less than 1/8.

Either way, it's significantly less than the proportion, and actual gross number, for that matter, of West Virginians who speak with measurable southern dialect features. (Not that that is in and of itself a definition of which state is "more southern").
You are incorrect with your assertion that it is 1/8 of the population I will elaborate further by adding up the total county populations in this southern dialect zone if you warrant it. Please don't act like you know more about my state than me.

Old 01-06-2015, 11:06 AM

62 posts, read 112,848 times
Southeast & Southwest Missouri are EASILY, EASIILY "more southern" than any part of West Virginia you'll find geographically or culturally, period. With that said, Northwest & Northeast Missouri are more "un-southern" than any part of WV you'll find. Missouri is a lot larger state than WV. Definitely not a cookie cutter. People in Southeast, MO are closer to Mobile, AL than they are Maryville, MO and SWMO is closer to Little Rock, AR than they are Kirksville, MO.

Old 01-06-2015, 12:26 PM

2,694 posts, read 3,202,893 times
The St. Louis and Kansas City metros walk out with the majority of Missouri's population, and, from personal experience, I can tell you everything north of St. Louis is also solidly Midwestern, so I would say the proportion of the Missouri population that feels Southern is much smaller than the part that feels Midwestern. I'm less familiar with KC, but, when I visited, it seemed similar in that regard to St. Louis.

You won't find a person from St. Louis labeling themselves as Southern either. That's more reserved for the areas South of the metro, like the Boot Heel, Cape Girardeau, etc

Old 01-06-2015, 12:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GunnerTHB View Post
Sure. I'm sure he took the time to actually go to the places where he put the line to see if it made sense or not.

Besides, the only part of your post I disagree with is the "statistical anomaly" part. 1/8th of the population isn't a large amount, but it is far from being considered an anomaly.
Fair enough.

Old 01-06-2015, 12:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by imbored198824 View Post
Hey you do realize the map you posted isn't done by a "professional linguist". Maybe it is just a map you try to use to tell everyone else they are wrong? There are OTHER dialect surveys and maps done by actual linguists. I think you should do a little more research. The creator of the map clearly states it is "just a hobby", therefore not scientific. Please do the research before you embarrass yourself further.
1. Yes I do.

2. There are many similar maps, including a significant body of work that includes EVEN LESS of the state of Missouri and EVEN MORE of the state of WV in the southern dialect classification. That said, the "hobby" map in question is several orders of magnitude more accurate and more scientific than perhaps you realize. Which is of course the danger of making up your mind FIRST and then disregarding data that contradicts your opinion or limited personal experience.

3. I've done plenty of research of American Dialects. I'm no professional, but I do have an undergraduate degree in Linguistics from the University of Oregon. While American dialectical research was not my focus, I can assure you, you get more than just a layman's knowledge of the data and theories involved in American regional speech differences in the 4 years of study you put in while acquiring any degree in Linguistics from an American university, regardless of your focus.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.