Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-08-2015, 04:26 PM

1,833 posts, read 2,351,433 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by City Kid View Post
Thats opinion based and I will go as far as saying it is strickly a biased opinion. The real transition is anywhere north of Baltimore, Frederick, Hagerstown, and Cumberland.
His post wasn't opinion based. New Jersey, Deleware, Maryland and DC definitely have northern politics especially DC. Look at the past voting stats.

All of these states/districts have northern economies and besides a couple of places such as the eastern shore, areas around Wilmington because these places are rural these states feel very northeastern. Upstate New York is quite rural as well but would you say it's not northeastern?

Old 01-08-2015, 04:27 PM

32,101 posts, read 34,720,210 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deluusions View Post
His post wasn't opinion based. New Jersey, Deleware, Maryland and DC definitely have northern politics especially DC. Look at the past voting stats.
Virginia has "northern" politics too. A lot of places are headed the "northern" direction as they rapidly fill up with minorities and transplants.

Old 01-08-2015, 04:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BajanYankee View Post
Virginia has "northern" politics too. A lot of places are headed the "northern" direction as they rapidly fill up with minorities and transplants.
This is very true, but I was referring the previous post he replied to cause those were the states that were being mentioned. Although, outside of Virginia's three major metro areas it's still very southern in politics. Especially in southwest Virginia, south of Hampton roads and central VA. The richmond metro is still very much half and half with it being slightly more red. While NoVa is more blue and tiny bit red because of its rural exurbs. Hampton roads is half and half but a lot more blue because of places like Norfolk etc.

Old 01-08-2015, 04:38 PM

Quote:
This is very true, but I was referring the previous post he replied to cause those were the states that were being mentioned. Although, outside of Virginia's three major metro areas it's still very southern in politics.
What does that mean: "southern in politics"? Do you mean they vote Republican? How is that any different from much of Pennsylvania?

The interesting thing is that it was Scots-Irish and Germans from the Pennsylvania backwoods who ended up pushing south and settling in many of the Southern states anyway. Perhaps that's what makes Pennslyvania more conservative than the states to its North that were largely settled by Yankees pushing west from Mass and CT.

During the election of 1860, Pennsylvania was the only Northern state (I believe) in which Breckenridge performed well.

Old 01-08-2015, 04:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BajanYankee View Post
What does that mean: "southern in politics"? Do you mean they vote Republican? How is that any different from much of Pennsylvania?

The interesting thing is that it was Scots-Irish and Germans from the Pennsylvania backwoods who ended up pushing south and settling in many of the Southern states anyway. Perhaps that's what makes Pennslyvania more conservative than the states to its North that were largely settled by Yankees pushing west from Mass and CT.

During the election of 1860, Pennsylvania was the only Northern state (I believe) in which Breckenridge performed well even though Lincoln captured a majority of the state's vote.
Yes I meant more republican and conservative.

Old 01-08-2015, 04:45 PM

22,378 posts, read 38,921,303 times
Quote:
though these areas exist everywhere- CA as an example will have many such areas outside of the main metros and coast for as liberal as the state comes across and red vs blue is sometimes over stated. Liberal New England can be very conservative on many aspects. Maybe not thumping NRA like Central PA but still there are variants

Old 01-08-2015, 04:46 PM

Quote:
Then Pennsylvania fits that to a tee. Outside of the big cities, it's very Republican and socially conservative. This is not the case in New York State and all of the other areas of the Northeast settled by Yankees. In 2000, Pennsylvania voters, as a whole, scored higher on social conservatism than Virginia voters did (and this was obviously well before anyone was talking about a "purple" Virginia).

Old 01-08-2015, 04:52 PM

96 posts, read 100,569 times
Quote:

All of these states/districts have northern economies and besides a couple of places such as the eastern shore, areas around Wilmington because these places are rural these states feel very northeastern. Upstate New York is quite rural as well but would you say it's not northeastern?
It is a biased opinion in which you just proved my point by judging dc and baltimore and try to make the state of Maryland equivilent to the two cities when most of Maryland is mostly aligned with Virginia and North Carolina but swear that Texas is a Southern State even though it is Southwestern with a Mexican twist.

Last edited by City Kid; 01-08-2015 at 05:03 PM..

Old 01-08-2015, 04:53 PM

I thought this map was pretty good.

http://www.city-data.com/forum/20726549-post124.html

Old 01-08-2015, 04:55 PM

96 posts, read 100,569 times
Quote:
This is very true, but I was referring the previous post he replied to cause those were the states that were being mentioned. Although, outside of Virginia's three major metro areas it's still very southern in politics. Especially in southwest Virginia, south of Hampton roads and central VA. The richmond metro is still very much half and half with it being slightly more red. While NoVa is more blue and tiny bit red because of its rural exurbs. Hampton roads is half and half but a lot more blue because of places like Norfolk etc.
And to further add on to my previous comment; the red republican parts of Maryland are outside of DC and Baltimore.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.