Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-11-2015, 02:40 AM

6 posts, read 13,601 times

Advertisements

Hey. I will keep it short and sweet. I have grown up in an urban area my whole life. I like cities visually and I like convenience like being able to walk to the store etc. but, I do not vibe well with modern urban dwellers and young people my age.

I am more conservative in outlook toward the world, I like quiet and I share more in common with your average 55 year old than with someone my own age (23).

In a group of people my age I feel out of place and I even prefer what would be called a 'townie bar' to a nightclub because it is very hard for me to connect with those in my we group and listening to new music (anything post-1970) is torturous for me. I reject most things about my generation.. I do not do cell phones or social media. I have basic cable, DSL Internet, email, a landline and now this forum..

I'm getting off track but here is my question: If a young guy in his early 20s moved into a single family home (apartment buildings/complexes attract too many single people and childless coupled) in your family friendly suburb, what would you think?

A lot of people suggest moving to young and hip areas, which would be great for me, if they weren't filled with young people lol.

Would you think your new neighbor is weird? Would you invite him to neighborhood things like bbq's?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-11-2015, 05:31 AM

4,861 posts, read 9,306,196 times
I think you're overthinking this. As long as you are friendly and keep your place up, I can't imagine anyone caring one way or the other if you are a young, single man vs. a couple with two kids and a dog.

We live in a family oriented neighborhood with lots of families with kids and a young, single man used to live across the street from us. I never even gave it a thought why he would be a homeowner in a subdivision full of kids. Obviously, that was his preference, so why would we care? He was nice and he kept his place looking nice. Those are the things that make a good neighbor, not their age or marital status.

Old 01-11-2015, 08:13 AM

14,301 posts, read 11,684,342 times
Agreed that no one will care. They might even prefer you as a neighbor to a large, rowdy family. You would certainly be welcome on our quiet street.

Old 01-11-2015, 01:27 PM

3,278 posts, read 5,387,480 times
No, nothing wrong with that. Suburbs are where it's at.

Old 01-11-2015, 05:50 PM

3,298 posts, read 3,888,916 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mandalorian View Post
No, nothing wrong with that. Suburbs are where it's at.
True. The city fad is over. Surface beauty only goes so far.

Old 01-11-2015, 09:13 PM

3,278 posts, read 5,387,480 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluecarebear View Post
True. The city fad is over. Surface beauty only goes so far.
Agreed.

I've lived in the 'burbs my whole life. No reason to change.

One can have a bigger, nicer and newer house than in an urban area. Recreation is easy, so is traffic/parking and there is usually ample shopping/entertainment. Plus it's quieter and crime is much lower.

Old 01-11-2015, 09:24 PM

1,285 posts, read 1,393,839 times
I'm also in my 20s. I don't think it's weird. Most of the people I went to HS with stayed in the suburbs and I refuse to live in a city.

Old 01-11-2015, 09:29 PM

21,695 posts, read 28,437,452 times
I've known young single guys who have homes in the 'burbs just because they prefer to live there. Nothing weird about it. A good neighbor is a good neighbor no matter what his or her family situation might be.

Old 01-12-2015, 10:13 AM

2,090 posts, read 3,574,644 times
It's weird to me only because it's something I would never do and it seems harder to meet single people in the suburbs, but hey, if that's your preference, do what you want. Don't let the prejudices of others stop you from living the life you want.

Old 01-12-2015, 11:02 AM

11,669 posts, read 17,940,725 times
I tried the NYC urban living thing and only lasted two years (ages 22-23). It was fun while it lasted, but not practical for the long term, and the quality of life was absolutely horrific.

I am now 30 and have always preferred living in suburban apartment complexes (still haven't bought a house yet). However, I understand your dilemma.

I think the best approach is to find a suburb that doesn't feel so family oriented, but still has the characteristics of suburban living. There are plenty of low density cities and towns that do not have the annoying young, hipster, yuppie culture going on, but still have regular neighborhoods with houses.

One of the greatest lessons in life is to not force yourself to like things that other people like. Go for what YOU like and want. If everyone thought this way, we'd probably see even more young, single people living in suburbia. But peer pressure and social expectations impede our ability to think autonomously. One example I like to use to illustrate this is with video games. Most people prefer PS4 and Xbox One, but I prefer the Wii U, even though it's the least popular. If I was forced to play PS4 or Xbox One, I simply wouldn't be as satisfied.

In short, no, I don't think it's weird. Maybe a little unusual, but not weird or looked down upon.

Just choose a suburban area that's not too far from the urban core of your metropolitan area. If you want the nightlife and interaction with single people, simply DRIVE into the city. It only takes 15-20 minutes. That's just as long as it takes someone to walk from their urban condo to the club/bar anyway (not that you care about bars and clubs, but you get my point). And no one will care.

Also....the best neighbors I have ever had were typically over the age of 50. They are down to earth, sociable, quiet and usually positive. I have found most young people to be aloof, concerned with appearances and.....loud and annoying in some cases.

Last edited by nep321; 01-12-2015 at 11:21 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.