Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-22-2017, 05:27 PM

14 posts, read 15,210 times

Advertisements

Hello. I just joined this site because I'm looking for somewhere else to live and I'm struggling. I'm well aware that there's probably no where that meets my desires perfectly, but I would like to get as close as possible. I'll list what I'm looking for and any advice as to what might be close would be great.

-Comfortable Humidity: I don't know much about it myself, but I definitely don't want it to be muggy in the summer. I'd rather it not be excessively dry either though. This has been what's giving me the most trouble in my research.

-Lots of Nature: Despite not being particularly athletic or anything of the sort, I love nature. I love trees and mountains and rivers. I would like to be able to see the wildlife and not just streets and buildings.

-Cheap Land: This one isn't really a requirement, but it would be helpful. I would like to have enough land for my own animals and I will always have animals. But I also want to open my own animal shelter and I'll probably make it on the same land as where I live unless having it elsewhere is what's more convenient.

-Relatively Safe: Somewhere with at least somewhat low crime would be great. If it has fewer natural disasters, that's great too, but I know everywhere has it's issues.

-Somewhat Mild Weather: I like having all four seasons, but I don't like it getting too hot. I'll take the cold over the heat and I don't want it getting any higher than ninety and preferably not often.

I've done research on several states, but I've gotten myself rather confused and there's just too much to consider. Vermont is probably my favorite, but it seems to be rather humid. Otherwise it would be great. Wisconsin was an option too, but it also seems to be humid. I've always been drawn to Montana as well though fires are a concern. Again, I realize that the "perfect place" probably doesn't exist and I'm willing for things to be slightly out of my comfort levels, but I would like it to be relatively close. Any help would be great as I've been researching this for a while, but I'm hoping people who are actually know what they're doing can help at least narrow it down.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-22-2017, 05:33 PM

2,096 posts, read 2,327,733 times
I think Nevada (near California especially) like Reno, Carson City, Minden, Gardnerville, etc... could be a fit.

It has low humidity, doesn't get too ridiculously hot, housing prices/land prices aren't too expensive (depending what your definition of affordable is), and is surrounded with nature. You would have Lake Tahoe (my favorite place), multiples rivers, lakes, forests, mountains, etc...within a very reasonable distance.

Dallas/Fort Worth is also a possibility. It does get hot, but the humidity isn't awful. Land & homes very reasonable, and plenty of lakes/water around.

Old 09-22-2017, 05:59 PM

6,083 posts, read 10,707,996 times
You should check out Colorado Springs. Relatively cheap, no humidity, mountains and wildlife to the North/West, low crime, and the weather is pretty mild (winters can get a bit cold at times).

Last edited by Mezter; 09-22-2017 at 07:18 PM..

Old 09-22-2017, 06:33 PM

8,606 posts, read 14,897,900 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg10556 View Post
I think Nevada (near California especially) like Reno, Carson City, Minden, Gardnerville, etc... could be a fit.

It has low humidity, doesn't get too ridiculously hot, housing prices/land prices aren't too expensive (depending what your definition of affordable is), and is surrounded with nature. You would have Lake Tahoe (my favorite place), multiples rivers, lakes, forests, mountains, etc...within a very reasonable distance.

Dallas/Fort Worth is also a possibility. It does get hot, but the humidity isn't awful. Land & homes very reasonable, and plenty of lakes/water around.
I'll second the Reno suggestion and throw in the Black Hills of South Dakota, but DFW is really not a good fit. It fails the following criteria spectacularly:

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnimalFreak View Post
-Lots of Nature: Despite not being particularly athletic or anything of the sort, I love nature. I love trees and mountains and rivers. I would like to be able to see the wildlife and not just streets and buildings.

-Somewhat Mild Weather: I like having all four seasons, but I don't like it getting too hot. I'll take the cold over the heat and I don't want it getting any higher than ninety and preferably not often.
DFW has pretty lousy scenery, and in terms of topography it's flat.

OP specified nothing over 90 - and not often. Well, DFW is pretty much 90 or above from mid-June 'til mid-September.

Quote:
-Comfortable Humidity: I don't know much about it myself, but I definitely don't want it to be muggy in the summer. I'd rather it not be excessively dry either though. This has been what's giving me the most trouble in my research.
This one is more subjective. I've lived most of my life in the west, and to me DFW is very humid. Even when the ambient temp is in the 90s during the summer, the heat index is often above 100, and it doesn't really cool off at night during the summer, either.

Last edited by bluescreen73; 09-22-2017 at 06:47 PM..

Old 09-22-2017, 06:56 PM

2,096 posts, read 2,327,733 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluescreen73 View Post
I'll second the Reno suggestion and throw in the Black Hills of South Dakota, but DFW is really not a good fit. It fails the following criteria spectacularly:

DFW has pretty lousy scenery, and in terms of topography it's flat.

OP specified nothing over 90 - and not often. Well, DFW is pretty much 90 or above from mid-June 'til mid-September.

This one is more subjective. I've lived most of my life in the west, and to me DFW is very humid. Even when the ambient temp is in the 90s during the summer, the heat index is often above 100, and it doesn't really cool off at night during the summer, either.
Dallas statistically has a lower humidity percentage than most places. And I agree, it's definitely hot in the summer (I was there in August, and it was 95-98 the whole time, the lake was super nice to be on during that time though).

Scenery wise, agree once again. But it's not lacking rivers, Lakes, and water in general.

Old 09-22-2017, 08:08 PM
BMI

7,454 posts, read 7,277,425 times
You're describing New Mexico, except for the low crime

Four season but mild and sunny, low humidity, tons of nature at your doorstep.

Just have to choose best location in the state for you....Ruidoso, Silver City, Taos....

Old 09-22-2017, 08:49 PM

16,092 posts, read 10,757,764 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BMI View Post
You're describing New Mexico, except for the low crime

Four season but mild and sunny, low humidity, tons of nature at your doorstep.

Just have to choose best location in the state for you....Ruidoso, Silver City, Taos....
I agree with the New Mexico suggestion...except that crime is not as bad as widely depicted-- it is where you find it so don't go looking. Criminals are mostly opportunists or else they are engaged in some sort of score settling or a criminal enterprise.

You should visit places like Reno, Colorado Springs, Albuquerque/Santa Fe, Ruidoso, Flagstaff, Taos, Grand Junction, etc. for a couple days to get an idea of size. Monitor things like weather web sites, local news sites, and local forums or blogs that cover the locations. Real Estate sites like Zillow can give you information on property costs and even neighborhoods.

Old 09-22-2017, 10:02 PM

14 posts, read 15,210 times
Thanks for all the advice! Colorado Springs has come up a few times in my searches, but it will definitely be higher on my list. Colorado is a state I'm interested in and have done some research on. My only question would be if it gets too dry in the winter.

For some reason, New Mexico never even came to mind. I've researched a lot of states, but that's not one of them. I'll definitely give it a look.

I only barely looked at Nevada so I'll do some more in-depth research on that as well. Black Hills, South Dakota too.

This is definitely going to be helpful. I feel like I've been going around in circles with trying to do it on my own and hoping the information I find is accurate.

Old 09-22-2017, 10:13 PM

8,606 posts, read 14,897,900 times
Quote:
Thanks for all the advice! Colorado Springs has come up a few times in my searches, but it will definitely be higher on my list. Colorado is a state I'm interested in and have done some research on. My only question would be if it gets too dry in the winter.
Colorado's pretty dry year-round, but especially so in the winter. The combination of cold and low humidity frequently makes my hands chapped and cracked. You'll also want a humidifier for the winter unless you enjoy static discharge.

Old 09-23-2017, 06:12 AM

27,232 posts, read 43,956,177 times
Quote:
I've done research on several states, but I've gotten myself rather confused and there's just too much to consider. Vermont is probably my favorite, but it seems to be rather humid. Otherwise it would be great.
Vermont is humid? I would investigate a bit further if it appeals to you otherwise. Unless you're a truly delicate flower, the vast majority would not find Vermont anywhere near humid.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.