Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-16-2015, 05:52 AM

27,196 posts, read 43,886,661 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mandalorian View Post
Florida. You'll be required to buy a beige Buick with a left turn signal that is permanently on though.
LOL, outdated stereotype much? I live in Florida and it's consistently a well above the speed limit state with all of the major highways averaging a good 10 mph above the posted limits.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-16-2015, 06:06 AM

14,353 posts, read 17,019,980 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UsernameCreativity View Post
Outside of densely populated cities, some of the slowest towns I've encountered are in rural New England. Low speed limits that have to be followed because of pedestrian traffic.
I was going to say this too. Places like Vermont, Western Massachusetts, and Maine people drive damn politely. I am always amazed when I go back up there too how if you are waiting at a crosswalk drivers will come to a full stop and let you go across.

Of course, you still can't just blithely cross a crosswalk without looking, because a Connecticut or New York driver might come along and hit you.

Old 02-16-2015, 06:15 AM

4,045 posts, read 4,428,541 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle19125 View Post
I live in Florida and it's consistently a well above the speed limit state with all of the major highways averaging a good 10 mph above the posted limits.
Emphasis on the well above...I've seen things fly by me I didn't even see coming

Old 02-16-2015, 06:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eschaton View Post
Of course, you still can't just blithely cross a crosswalk without looking...
People arrogantly tend to do that in New Jersey,a sense of entitlement,causing constant driver/pedestrian friction...but then that's New Jersey

Old 02-16-2015, 01:16 PM

3,376 posts, read 6,104,100 times
I say finding any where with a slow driving pace is going to be hard.

Thanks to the "bro-truck" epidemic and "The Fast and The Furious" movie culture, anyone under fifty is either going to be spreading vehicle noise pollution or unsafe driving wherever they roll into.
And if they got kids getting up near driving age, time to head to some place with no roads and only foot trails.

Old 02-16-2015, 01:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bentstrider View Post
I say finding any where with a slow driving pace is going to be hard.

Thanks to the "bro-truck" epidemic and "The Fast and The Furious" movie culture, anyone under fifty is either going to be spreading vehicle noise pollution or unsafe driving wherever they roll into.
And if they got kids getting up near driving age, time to head to some place with no roads and only foot trails.
In a nutshell

Old 02-16-2015, 02:03 PM

3,376 posts, read 6,104,100 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Truth11 View Post
In a nutshell
Tell me about it!!

Moving from the Victorville area in CA to what I thought was small town, Clovis NM didn't seem to be any different when it came to noise levels.
Same noises I heard over there (rumble and fart cannon exhausts), are just as present over here.

The car culture remains pretty much supreme

Old 02-16-2015, 02:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bentstrider View Post
Tell me about it!!

Moving from the Victorville area in CA to what I thought was small town, Clovis NM didn't seem to be any different when it came to noise levels.
Same noises I heard over there (rumble and fart cannon exhausts), are just as present over here.

The car culture remains pretty much supreme
Haha those are the same descriptions I use...guess it's not just in the northeast;

Old 02-17-2015, 03:32 PM

2,753 posts, read 3,311,159 times
Avoid Massachusetts, Connecticut, New York, New Jersey (almost all of the northeast), California, and Florida. Those places have a high amount of speeders. In Connecticut even if you go 75 in a 65 you'll still get passed. If i had to take a guess i'd say certain parts of Iowa, Kansas, and Vermont. That's just from my personal experience.

Old 02-17-2015, 03:59 PM

191 posts, read 287,493 times
I have lived in some of the least populated states in the country. Basically everyone drives the speed limit or under, at least on the interstates. Traffic is nonexistent on the interstates. Anyways while driving on the interstates in that area there were several times where I could see someone way in the distance coming up behind me fast. Without knowing anything other than just seeing them flying up behind me, I would say oh that must be someone from the East Coast or California. I was right 99% of the time.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.