Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-05-2015, 11:47 AM

5,294 posts, read 6,063,888 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SDPMiami View Post
No they are not. You can find 1 or two, but the city is dead in the wintertime. And it's something acknowledged there. I happened to move in the winter, and everyone kept telling me

"Oh just wait for the summer, you will see. This place is awesome in the summer, everyone comes outside!"

And yeah, when summer came, the streets were 100x more crowded.
Not to put to fine a point on it, but part of the reason you don't see too many people on the streets in Minneapolis during the winter has to do with the network of connections within the buildings themselves. Minneapolitans are like little gerbles in a tube network during the winter. But point taken, hanging out in the cold like that sucks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-05-2015, 11:52 AM

32,097 posts, read 34,714,145 times
Here's that oppressive Philadelphia summertime that keeps everyone trapped in the house all day. Nothing worth writing a whole anthem about. Will Smith is set to release his next big hit, "Wintertime," any day now.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kr0tTbTbmVA

Old 03-05-2015, 11:53 AM

1,699 posts, read 2,152,879 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mjlo View Post
Not to put to fine a point on it, but part of the reason you don't see too many people on the streets in Minneapolis during the winter has to do with the network of connections within the buildings themselves. Minneapolitans are like little gerbles in a tube network during the winter. But point taken, hanging out in the cold like that sucks.
To be fair, they did have some winter events, two events I remember in St. Paul. One was some ice sculpture thing, the other was some sledding races. I did go ice skating on some lakes, but on a day to day basis the city was dead as a door nail. I worked and lived in DT for a while, and there people took the skyways everywhere, avoiding to step outside whenever possible. I remember that left me in a profound negative depression, waking up, going to the skyways to work and coming back. I felt like I was living in one big mall.

I remember when the first "warm" weather floated around in March, it was maybe 40s, but everyone insisted on just to walk outside. Just to be outside, and we ended up walking aimlessly. And I was the only non-native Minnesotan.

How is that for cabin fever?

Old 03-05-2015, 12:14 PM

14,164 posts, read 27,225,839 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JJG View Post
Born and raised Texan.

Our summers can be BRUTAL, but our winters are mostly mild. Sure, right now DFW is under a few inches of snow, but we typically have 45-55 degree days from December to March.

You're not going to get perfect weather all the time, regardless of where you live. You learn to take the bad with the good.
I spent a couple years in San Antonio and the summers were definitely brutal. Really, it's the reverse of living in Minnesota. All summer I would avoid being outside, just run to the car and crank the A/C, waiting for the sweat to stop. And then you got about 5 months of relatively pleasant weather. So pick your poison Or move to coastal Southern California!

Old 03-05-2015, 12:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by denverian View Post
I spent a couple years in San Antonio and the summers were definitely brutal. Really, it's the reverse of living in Minnesota. All summer I would avoid being outside, just run to the car and crank the A/C, waiting for the sweat to stop. And then you got about 5 months of relatively pleasant weather. So pick your poison Or move to coastal Southern California!
You ran to the car at 9:30 pm?

Old 03-05-2015, 12:23 PM

14,164 posts, read 27,225,839 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clampdown69 View Post
I'm from NY and have no issue with our northern winters...it's not that bad!! I hate east coast summers however so hot and humid. Once it hits 70 degrees I get very uncomfortable and it's too hot and I have to stay inside with A/C.

My ideal weather is like 45/50 and overcast anything higher gets into "sweating my balls off range"

After March I switch from public transit to my car cause it's too hot out for me. I have spent summers in FL and I just stay inside all day.

Where in lower 48 do they have long winters and summers that don't ever get above 60ish?
Denver summers get hot (average July high is about 90), but it's a dry heat, so you don't really sweat. And even if it's 90 during the day, it drops to the 60s at night. Still pleasant to be outside in the evening.

Old 03-05-2015, 12:42 PM

Winter is bad for business in Philly.

Quote:
“The weather seems to impact our business significantly.” Over at Cappofito, owner Stephanie Reitano says it’s not just a matter of less walk-ins on cold days. “People don’t want to go out, so they make reservations and don’t show up; and I don’t blame them, but I just wish they’d call.”
Cold Weather May Have Significant Impact On Local Restaurants « CBS Philly

Old 03-05-2015, 12:45 PM

183 posts, read 218,365 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by denverian View Post
Denver summers get hot (average July high is about 90), but it's a dry heat, so you don't really sweat. And even if it's 90 during the day, it drops to the 60s at night. Still pleasant to be outside in the evening.
Okay, but when I go to Florida it might be too hot during the day but it will pleasant at night and I can sit outside and enjoy beers at 9:30 in the night time. In climates of cold weather you are always cold for many months and need to stay inside. There is not repose from the cold until spring comes. Only hardcore winter sports men are outside, the others rest inside.

Old 03-05-2015, 12:59 PM

12,883 posts, read 13,988,455 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ABQConvict View Post
I'll play devil's advocate for NYC winters and say that a climate that hovers right around the freezing mark and thus contends with snow, ice, sleet, rain, back to snow, then to rain, then a perfect sheet of transparent, inch-thick ice, then a couple of inches of snow over that, then it partially melts causing 6 inch deep puddles everywhere surrounded by 4 foot tall piles of ice and crystalized snow, then it rains two inches, then it is 5 degrees overnight, and so on and so on...

Is far more brutal than consistent frigid temperatures and heaps of fluffly snow.
Valid, great point. Makes for some hazardous conditions around here at times.

Old 03-05-2015, 06:52 PM

5,993 posts, read 10,190,713 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SDPMiami View Post
No they are not. You can find 1 or two, but the city is dead in the wintertime. And it's something acknowledged there. I happened to move in the winter, and everyone kept telling me

"Oh just wait for the summer, you will see. This place is awesome in the summer, everyone comes outside!"

And yeah, when summer came, the streets were 100x more crowded.
My 20+ years of experience trumps your 1, but it's certainly okay to have an opinion, just don't act like you're preaching the gospel about a place you truly barely know. Perhaps it's relative, meaning there may not be droves of people outside during winter, but having lived in 5 large Northern cities in my life, I can assure you that in comparison to the others people in Minnesota embrace the winter weather. Nobody ever said people there prefer winter to summer. The underlying point is some places embrace the weather while others deny it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.