Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-15-2008, 05:05 AM

119 posts, read 881,232 times

Advertisements

Where the best places to live for people over 40? Help?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-15-2008, 09:00 AM

20,004 posts, read 77,384,761 times
We need waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay more info to help give some ideas.

Old 01-15-2008, 09:06 AM

1,969 posts, read 6,391,828 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve-o View Post
We need waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay more info to help give some ideas.
Agreed. Interests? Children? Job? Retired? Like heat? Like snow? Like to fish? Etc. Also, lumping people who are 41 with people that are 91 is pretty absurd as well. Even putting age aside, there is a huge difference between a 50 year old that likes to surf and a 41 year old that likes to eat cheetos and mow his lawn on a sit down lawn mower and simply desires to do it in an area with low taxes.

Old 01-15-2008, 02:12 PM

1,576 posts, read 6,350,124 times
Wow. I'm closing in on 40 and I can't imagine being lumped in with other people seeking a quiet place to spend their last days. I'll take a youthful college town before a retirement community, even when I'm 50!!!

Old 01-16-2008, 12:06 AM

119 posts, read 881,232 times
Ready to Leave Southern California, Long Beach area. Single guy with no kids. Want a metropolitan area over 2 million people. Good roads and transportation, Restaurants, night life, culture. Good ratio of Women to men. Renter not looking to buy. Parks,lakes, beaches. Looking at cities and in close by suburbs that are Diverse. Day trips or weekend getaways within a day. Thanks

Old 01-16-2008, 12:50 AM

5,812 posts, read 18,831,224 times
How about St. Louis? 3 million people (metro). A 1-BR apartment or house can be had for $750/month or less. HWY 64/40 is closed for 2 years, but the Metro will take you to most places in the city. Lots of restaurants and pubs, including some good Italian restaurants on The Hill. Some nice nightclubs from what I understand. Not sure about men/women ratio, but city-data can tell you that. The Rivers of Missouri and Mississippi meet just north of St. Louis, St. Louis has a lot of parks, including Tower Grove Park, Forest Park, and smaller parks in the area. The suburbs are nice as well, in fact the majority of St. Louisans live in the suburbs. The city is pretty diverse, 51% black and 43% white. Chicago, Memphis, Kansas City, many places to the East all within a day's drive, as well as beautiful Lake of the Ozarks. Crime can be a problem, but as long as you use common sense you should be fine. And 3 sports teams to follow, if you follow sports. And the weather is decent. It's not southern Califronia, but you get all 4 seasons, and the winters not as cold as Chicago's or Detroit's.

Urban St. Louis - Index
Inside STL.com

Old 01-16-2008, 07:54 AM

1,969 posts, read 6,391,828 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hgclyde View Post
Ready to Leave Southern California, Long Beach area. Single guy with no kids. Want a metropolitan area over 2 million people. Good roads and transportation, Restaurants, night life, culture. Good ratio of Women to men. Renter not looking to buy. Parks,lakes, beaches. Looking at cities and in close by suburbs that are Diverse. Day trips or weekend getaways within a day. Thanks
San Francisco, Portland, Seattle. Don't listen to the guy that said St. Louis. No beaches or many day trips.

Old 01-16-2008, 04:16 PM

44 posts, read 145,762 times
Ok I'll take any suggestions, after all i found this site to help me decide. I'm 47, divorced, kids all either graduated or in college, getting my masters in counseling, grew up on the central jersey shore, life long horse owner, beach a day's drive , mountains to breath. Yea I'm thinking Middleburg, VA, but my financial circumstances have changed dramatically....Always liked college towns....

Thanks!

Old 01-16-2008, 05:07 PM

2 posts, read 16,617 times
Move to a large city.

Old 01-16-2008, 07:25 PM

44 posts, read 145,762 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by slrmclaren View Post
Move to a large city.
Thanx for the help, tell that to my 33 year-old-horse & 26 year old pony, bearded collie & cat.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.