Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-05-2015, 02:16 PM

678 posts, read 875,601 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mini-apple-less View Post
I think our culture here is just more predatory compared to other countries. Even cities that are considered "ghetto free" like Portland and Seattle have areas far rougher than anything you'll find in Canada.
Exactly.

Old 05-05-2015, 02:49 PM

39 posts, read 39,453 times
Agree about the lack of blacks and Hispanics in Canada. We are indeed a mostly white country. But... Most of our lack of violence has more to do with inability to buy a gun, greats social programs and British manners.

Last edited by Outforarip; 05-05-2015 at 03:00 PM..

Old 05-05-2015, 02:52 PM

67,650 posts, read 60,894,826 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Outforarip View Post
Agree about the lacks of blacks and Hispanics in Canada. We are indeed a mostly white country. But... Most of our lack of violence has more to do with inability to buy a gun, greats octal programs and British manners.
Your British manners would fly out the door if you had a more diverse populace.

Old 05-05-2015, 02:55 PM

6,610 posts, read 9,032,687 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PDF View Post
Dare I say it, the two go hand in hand.
Sometimes, sometimes not.

Old 05-05-2015, 02:58 PM

1,748 posts, read 2,175,822 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PDF View Post
Toronto is the safest big city in North America. Even NYC is safe these days though. But Canadian cities definitely have an edge when it comes to less crime.
NYC is probably safer now(based on its overall population) than TO. TO 2 homicides per 100K, NYC 5.1 (per Wiki). TO city is 630K people vs 8.5 million in NYC (5 boroughs). However, they both take cake when it comes to graffiti(especially TO since they used to advertise it as TO the good(lately with graffiti galore).

Toronto's new graffiti plan is here, but will it help?

Old 05-05-2015, 03:02 PM

6,610 posts, read 9,032,687 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trigger-f View Post
NYC is probably safer now(based on its overall population) than TO. TO 2 homicides per 100K, NYC 5.1 (per Wiki). TO city is 630K people vs 8.5 million in NYC (5 boroughs). However, they both take cake when it comes to graffiti(especially TO since they used to advertise it as TO the good(lately with graffiti galore).

Toronto's new graffiti plan is here, but will it help?
Toronto's population is 2.6 million in the city limits - not 630,000.

Old 05-05-2015, 03:03 PM

Toronto is a city with over 2 million in the metro actually and 6 million in the greater Toronto
Area. Yet our crime is very low. We are larger than Chicago and Dallas yet our crime rate is minuscule compared to those cities. I should say Toronto is also very multicultural with 50% of residents being non white.

Old 05-05-2015, 03:10 PM

3,278 posts, read 5,389,117 times
Quote:
Toronto is a city with over 2 million in the metro actually and 6 million in the greater Toronto
Area. Yet our crime is very low. We are larger than Chicago and Dallas yet our crime rate is minuscule compared to those cities. I should say Toronto is also very multicultural with 50% of residents being non white.
A lot of that is Asian, and Asians typically are well-educated, hard-working and not particularly violent.

US isn't dangerous, but leaving all your doors unlocked and open is just not smart on a common sense level.

Old 05-05-2015, 03:10 PM

11,289 posts, read 26,191,557 times
Quote:
I'm Canadian who live in Kitchener Waterloo (a large metro city) and I have never experienced crime. I leave all my doors unlocked and sometimes in the summer leave them wide open. I have never heard gun shots or have heard of shooting
g in my city. Crime here is exceedingly low if not virtually unheard of and there is no such thing as a "ghetto" (even in Toronto) as every area is safe at all hours of the day. There are no muggings, car jackings , home invasions or drive by shootings like the states.

I'd like to know why the states is so violent?
It's quite isolated in the states. A lot of the actual violence is criminal gang members going after criminal gang members.

I've lived in the heart of Chicago for 14 years now. I've never been the victim of any crime, and of the hundreds of people I know none of them have ever mentioned being the victim of a crime, certainly not a violent crime. I don't know anyone who's been murdered, shot, mugged, had their home invaded or anything like that.

I do know one friend who had their car broken into about 10 years ago. They were visiting from out of town and left a bunch of stuff sitting out in plain sight with their car on the street over the weekend.

My neighborhood with 100,000 residents hasn't seen a murder in 3 years. The neighborhood just to the south with 65,000 residents has seen one murder in the past 4 years. People live in very violent areas of the city, but a majority of the city is in pretty safe areas where you aren't walking about thinking about crime.

Old 05-05-2015, 03:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mandalorian View Post
A lot of that is Asian, and Asians typically are well-educated, hard-working and not particularly violent.

US isn't dangerous, but leaving all your doors unlocked and open is just not smart on a common sense level.
Which Asian? East asian? South Asian? The largest ethnic group in Toronto is Indian and Arab not East Asian and believe me they're not well educated. Lots of Africans too (as in straight from Africa). Still... Violence is low.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.