Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Does the Bay Area have a sense of identity and place that exceeds all other metro areas?
yes 5 11.63%
no (can you name area that equals or exceeds it) 38 88.37%
Voters: 43. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-12-2015, 06:33 PM

2,217 posts, read 3,904,773 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sav858 View Post
Fort Lauderdale, Fort Worth, Anaheim, etc....they're all just as well known. Nothing really that unique there.
They don't have their own sports franchises with exception to Anaheim or separate microclimates. Not to mention Oakland's architect is different from SF.

Those cities would be my runner ups along with Minneapolis/ ST Paul.

Last edited by ATUMRE75; 05-12-2015 at 06:57 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-12-2015, 06:53 PM

18,982 posts, read 32,668,735 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ATUMRE75 View Post
They don't have their own sports franchises with exception to Anaheim or separate microclimates. Not to mention Oakland's architect is much from SF.

Those cities would be my runner ups along with Minneapolis/ ST Paul.
Oakland's climate isn't that different than SF and I doubt many people would even make that distinction. Also doesn't FTL have a NHL team? I don't really think Oakland's indentity is any stronger or more well known than these cities regardless of whatever arbitrary categories you bring up. Either way having a second, well known city in the same metro area isn't unique to the Bay Area at all.

Old 05-12-2015, 06:56 PM

2,217 posts, read 3,904,773 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sav858 View Post
Oakland's climate isn't that different than SF and I doubt many people would even make that distinction. Also doesn't FTL have a NHL team? I don't really think Oakland's indentity is any stronger or more well known than these cities regardless of whatever arbitrary categories you bring up. Either way having a second, well known city in the same metro area isn't unique to the Bay Area at all.
No worries here we will just agree to disagree.

Old 05-12-2015, 07:43 PM

1,424 posts, read 2,489,448 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by edsg25 View Post
Does the Bay Area have a sense of identity and place that exceeds all other metro areas? IMHO, it does.

let me make myself clear here. In the vast, vast majority of metro areas in the US, the identity is built upon its major city and the areas around it….Metropolitan New York, Chicagoland, the Los Angeles Area, etc.

some metro areas build their identity around two major cities….the Twin Cities, Dallas-Fort Worth (the Metroplex).

but none seem to package an image of a true region that transcends it component parts. There is no "suburban San Francisco" for places that might fit that category….like Marin and the Peninsula, maintain their separate identity. Indeed, Marin and the Peninsula join San Francisco, San Jose/Silicon Valley, Oakland and the East Bay, and Wine Country as being the parts that fit together to make the whole.

I can't think of any metro area people refer to as its entirty, not core and periphery, as the Bay Area.

then again, I will fully admit this is nothing more than perception. So I'll turn this over to others….

am I right about the Bay Area and it being the one with the greatest sense of place and identity of all others?
This, folks, is a prime example of the pronounce Bay Area/NorCal megalomania that us peeps from the southland have become accustomed to seeing within CA, but now being presented to the rest of the nation.

Old 05-12-2015, 08:05 PM

13,966 posts, read 24,174,498 times
New York

Old 05-13-2015, 12:42 AM

3,749 posts, read 4,968,226 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ATUMRE75 View Post
Technically San Jose is not a part of San Francisco MSA.

I will just go ahead and answer the question, the answer is yes the Bay Area has the most pronounced metro IMO. Oakland has a very distinct identity from San Francisco and has three major sports franchises to boost. The East Bay as a whole is very different from San Francisco. You have the two anchor cities and many interesting satellite cities that really gives the Bay an edge in identity. If you through San Jose in the mix you have another large city in the equation.
The Bay Area is functionally more like a state. If I drew the borders, I would make it a small densely populated state ala Maryland or New Jersey.

Old 05-13-2015, 01:01 AM

14,773 posts, read 21,507,739 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rnc2mbfl View Post
New York
Not even close, NYC is by far the core of the metro area... Newark and White Plains come in a very very distant 2nd and 3rd.

Old 05-13-2015, 01:06 AM

14,773 posts, read 21,507,739 times
Quote:
Does the Bay Area have a sense of identity and place that exceeds all other metro areas? IMHO, it does.

let me make myself clear here. In the vast, vast majority of metro areas in the US, the identity is built upon its major city and the areas around it….Metropolitan New York, Chicagoland, the Los Angeles Area, etc.

some metro areas build their identity around two major cities….the Twin Cities, Dallas-Fort Worth (the Metroplex).

but none seem to package an image of a true region that transcends it component parts. There is no "suburban San Francisco" for places that might fit that category….like Marin and the Peninsula, maintain their separate identity. Indeed, Marin and the Peninsula join San Francisco, San Jose/Silicon Valley, Oakland and the East Bay, and Wine Country as being the parts that fit together to make the whole.

I can't think of any metro area people refer to as its entirty, not core and periphery, as the Bay Area.

then again, I will fully admit this is nothing more than perception. So I'll turn this over to others….

am I right about the Bay Area and it being the one with the greatest sense of place and identity of all others?
DFW has 3 pretty major cities.

Dallas, Ft. Worth, Arlington

Old 05-13-2015, 06:35 AM

27,575 posts, read 28,680,428 times
Quote:
It is called the San Francisco bay area. The core is definitely San Francisco, perceived and otherwise - across the nation and around the world. Take away San Francisco and hardly anybody would care about that area.

Next question.

Old 05-13-2015, 08:26 AM

1,227 posts, read 1,594,917 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RudyOD View Post
This, folks, is a prime example of the pronounce Bay Area/NorCal megalomania that us peeps from the southland have become accustomed to seeing within CA, but now being presented to the rest of the nation.
The poster is from the Chicago area though?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.