Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-21-2015, 08:18 AM

32,095 posts, read 34,702,478 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JerseyGirl415 View Post
I thought I had see the title before.

Maybe stirring the pot?
Probably.

But to answer the question, I'd say California probably embodies the values of the Millennial generation better than any other state (or maybe Hawaii).

-Technology
-Diversity
-Racially integrated (at least in the Bay Area)
-Interracial marriage
-Professed colorblindness
-Openness and creativity

California was sort of the trailblazer in many of the above categories, imo. These things are admired and emulated among the current generation as opposed to the historical ethoncentrism and stodigness of the Northeast.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-21-2015, 08:35 AM

3,749 posts, read 4,964,418 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JerseyGirl415 View Post
I thought I had see the title before.

Maybe stirring the pot?
Sorry, just forgot I created it before. But honestly if I bumped it, you guys would probably complain too.

Old 05-21-2015, 09:00 AM

2,432 posts, read 2,690,222 times
Yes and no. I see how the cali lifestyle kind of plays in other states and pop culture you mentioned but only in doses and not as a whole.

Old 05-21-2015, 09:13 AM

12,883 posts, read 13,982,632 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mini-apple-less View Post
But honestly if I bumped it, you guys would probably complain too.
Complain about what? Disagreeing and complaining are not the same thing.

Old 05-21-2015, 10:11 AM

1,227 posts, read 1,593,284 times
Let me ask you a question: why are you so obsessed with the West?

Old 05-21-2015, 10:21 AM

696 posts, read 1,169,915 times
No the rest of Californian's are becoming more "American" in the sense that everyone is moving out and cannot afford to live there.

Old 05-21-2015, 10:24 AM

27,196 posts, read 43,896,295 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle19125 View Post
Not sure where you would have picked that up from but...no. The Boston-Washington corridor (which seems to be expanding further south) is the economic-political powerhouse in this country and don't see that changing anywhere in our life time. The "West" has a couple of economic hotspots with the SF Bay area and Seattle but otherwise the other growth hubs are scattered (outside of the major cities in Texas) and not cohesive enough to form any kind of national influence in my opinion.
Quote:
Originally Posted by BajanYankee View Post
I don't see how that addresses the OP's question when he asked whether America was becoming more like California in a sociocultural sense. I don't think he's asking whether California will become economically dominant or whether the state will eventually obtain 105 electoral votes in the House of Representatives.
You don't think there's an overlap in economics, politics and sociology? And to suggest other areas of the country have been influenced by California via the television media is a bit far fetched in my opinion. Law and Order SVU's or Everybody Loves Raymond's (or dozens of other shows) NYC influence has somehow been escapable while Saved By The Bell somehow resonates with the public? That would help explain a lot I suppose...

Old 05-21-2015, 10:57 AM

1,227 posts, read 1,593,284 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cityKing View Post
No the rest of Californian's are becoming more "American" in the sense that everyone is moving out and cannot afford to live there.
That's funny. Here, write to the VA, tell these brave Californians they are not American

California - Locations

Real brave behind a computer, aren't you?

Old 05-21-2015, 11:56 AM

32,095 posts, read 34,702,478 times
Quote:
You don't think there's an overlap in economics, politics and sociology?
But that's not what the OP is gettin at. Let's take a look at the definition of "sociocultural."

Quote:
so·ci·o·cul·tur·al

(sō′sē-ō-kŭl′chər-əl, -shē-)

adj.

Of or involving both social and cultural factors.
I don't think that has anything to do with "economic hotspots" or any of the other stuff you mentioned. California doesn't dominate the country economically, but that's a different issue from whether it dominates in a cultural sense. New England doesn't dominate America in an economic sense but it's clear that many of the country's values derive from a Yankee Protestant ethic.

Quote:
And to suggest other areas of the country have been influenced by California via the television media is a bit far fetched in my opinion. Law and Order SVU's or Everybody Loves Raymond's (or dozens of other shows) NYC influence has somehow been escapable while Saved By The Bell somehow resonates with the public? That would help explain a lot I suppose...
I don't think it's farfetched at all. I grew up on the East Coast (African American) and those shows influenced me and others around me. I think California English is considered "normal" because that's what we heard in movies. Most people are trying to copy that accent moreso than a thick New York or Boston accent.

Old 05-21-2015, 04:12 PM

3,749 posts, read 4,964,418 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BajanYankee View Post

I don't think it's farfetched at all. I grew up on the East Coast (African American) and those shows influenced me and others around me. I think California English is considered "normal" because that's what we heard in movies. Most people are trying to copy that accent moreso than a thick New York or Boston accent.
Yeah I think California English and Black American English have both hugely influenced Millennial speech, much in the same way Estuary English and Jafaican have influenced the dialects of young British people from all over the UK.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.